Who would you have as first choice goalkeeper

Chris McDonald

Craig Gordon is easily the most talented keeper, but really I'm quite confident in all 3. Remember the two France games? Gordon was world class in a Scotland jersey back in the second half of the previous decade but I'm not sure if he's as agile as he was before the injuries. I'd probably start Marshall until he puts a foot wrong, maybe play Gordon in the England game.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Gordon keeps up his current form then he will / should get back in front over Marshall and McGregor.

I would probably go for a fit McGregor over Marshall as well. I thought Marshall looked a wee but nervy in the last couple of games. But, I've not really been following Marshall's form for Cardiff tbf. I also reckon McGregor is a great shot-stopper and commands the area well.

I'd put Marshall and McGregor ahead of Gordon still, in his prime he was a good keeper but was and still is on par with Jim Leighton in terms of distribution. Marshall and McGregor are more physically imposing too. If Gordon can stay fit I'd love to see him back playing for Scotland, but given the injury problems he's had I am not so sure.

McGregor does have the occasional moment where he loses the plot. If you barge into him when he's trying to catch it he goes mental.

Gordon hasn't played long enough since his recovery imo.

Gordon hasn't played long enough since his recovery imo.

I've seen this a few times and I'm not really sure how it's relevant. If he's the best player in his position then he should be playing. You're asking him to play a 90 minute football match, not do the London Marathon whilst walking on his hands.

I've seen this a few times and I'm not really sure how it's relevant. If he's the best player in his position then he should be playing. You're asking him to play a 90 minute football match, not do the London Marathon whilst walking on his hands.

Agreed. The fact he's undisputed no 1 at Celtic - playing and excelling in Europe - concludes the argument for me. He's back, match fit and making match-winning saves - what more are we waiting for?

Had a read of the Hull and Cardiff forums. Hull fans think McGregor is ok and nothing more for them. They consider him the best at the club as you would expect although there's a scattering who think that Jankupovic is the best thing since sliced bread too.

As for Cardiff, they love him. Seems a hero for them although a sizeable amount are saying they should have cashed in and that he struggles badly with cross balls.

Marshall. He's been excellent for us and I don't think there's any need to change it. Totally baffled he didn't get a bigger gig after last season where he was, by far, the best keeper in the EPL.

• 5 months later...

Pretty disappointing to see that McGregor has lost the number 1 jersey at Hull, to a guy over 40. Seems like Bruce has really lost faith in him.

Time for Gordon to be number 2?

Mcgregor had been woeful for Hull since coming back from injury but yeah pretty grim to see Harper take his place.

Probably bias but I'd have Gordon back as number one right now. Always thought he was the better keeper and he seems to have kept his fitness (touch wood) up. Has played and excelled (bar the obvious inter clanger) in Europe this season while Marshall remained with a struggling championship club

As others have said though, two excellent keepers and wouldn't be fussed with either starting. Great dilemma to have

Two of the worst goalkeeping mistakes I've seen this season were both in one game, Celtic V Inter.

Gordon's performance that night was pretty embarrassing, and he's had other shaky moments in domestic football.

Not sure why people suddenly think he should be our number 1.

Archived