The Demon Drink

Mr Romanov

That's me pretty much just about recovered from quite a heavy three day session at the weekend there. It's Thursday night. Week fucked. at

Giving packing in the jungle juice some real thought at the moment. I wouldn't consider myself a problem drinker, but I'll have 2 nights a week, sometimes 3, drinking fairly heavily. I've always struggled with hangovers, but it has only really been over the past year I have really been incapable of removing myself from my pit after a night on the peeve. I've seen myself literally lie in bed from the moment I get up until the moment I go back to sleep.

The thing that's concerning me most though, is I've started to get the most incredibly low moods while suffering from a hangover. I've experienced come downs etc and I know about the fear and all the rest of it, but these are unreal and almost unbearable! I'm a happy person normally so there are no underlying issues or anything.

What I want from this thread really is a large amount of sympathy, one of those 'I know that feel bro' images, some discussion about how you feel after a bevvy, and everyone to tell me this is normal and it's OK, because I really dinnae want to pack in the demon drink.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing that's concerning me most though, is I've started to get the most incredibly low moods while suffering from a hangover. I've experienced come downs etc and I know about the fear and all the rest of it, but these are unreal and almost unbearable!

jjpleasing.gif

Jokes aside, if you genuinely aren't a problem drinker, it's possible to reign it in a bit. I made a conscious decision to try and calm it it on the sauce when I was going out 2/3+ times a week and getting absolutely wrecked practically every time. Some notable horror stories aside, I generally try not to get into that state too much.

I'm not a compulsive drinker though, very rarely bevvy outside social situations. If bevvy genuinely isn't a problem, it should be fairly easy to cut down. If it proves difficult, maybe there's more of a problem to deal with.

I've decided to try and pack it for the month of November. Mainly to try and lose a bit of weight in the run up to Christmas, but when I'm at Uni I get myself into an utter state and embarrass myself on near enough every night out. Went out last Tuesday, didn't drink as much and had a great night. Was good waking up without the fear as well.

That's me pretty much just about recovered from quite a heavy three day session at the weekend there. It's Thursday night. Week fucked. at

Giving packing in the jungle juice some real thought at the moment. I wouldn't consider myself a problem drinker, but I'll have 2 nights a week, sometimes 3, drinking fairly heavily. I've always struggled with hangovers, but it has only really been over the past year I have really been incapable of removing myself from my pit after a night on the peeve. I've seen myself literally lie in bed from the moment I get up until the moment I go back to sleep.

The thing that's concerning me most though, is I've started to get the most incredibly low moods while suffering from a hangover. I've experienced come downs etc and I know about the fear and all the rest of it, but these are unreal and almost unbearable! I'm a happy person normally so there are no underlying issues or anything.

What I want from this thread really is a large amount of sympathy, one of those 'I know that feel bro' images, some discussion about how you feel after a bevvy, and everyone to tell me this is normal and it's OK, because I really dinnae want to pack in the demon drink.

Government advice is have 2 alcohol free days a week. You're slacking boy!

I'm a weekend binger. I won't even think of having a drink during the week, but nine times out of ten I absolutely leather it at the weekend.

I hardly suffer any sort of physical hangover - I've only ever spewed a couple of times on a hangover in about ten years, but I really struggle with the mental comedown on the Sunday. Fear, guilt, and generally really depressed about everything. I'm usually fine by the Monday but I wouldn't mind giving it a rest for a while.

Every single time I do any drinking that involves a hazy memory, I'll spend at least the next 24 hours in a ball of anxiety and fear about what I've said or done. I think it's because I'm very conscious of not offending people or hurting their feelings when sober, and when drinking it goes out the window sometimes and I can be a bit of a c**t. Never violent or anything, just an arsehole.

Usually the fear will be unjustified and I can move on. You see when you remember you actually have said/done something bad, or even just waffled a load of shite that on reflection wasn't as interesting as you thought, that's some real feels right there bro's. Your brain stores this memories away for the times when you're most relaxed (about to drift off to sleep usually) and then hits you like a thud to the balls. You can forget about something for five years and then BAM, dat beautiful self loathing.

In summary, you're fine mate YOLO.

Every single time I do any drinking that involves a hazy memory, I'll spend at least the next 24 hours in a ball of anxiety and fear about what I've said or done. I think it's because I'm very conscious of not offending people or hurting their feelings when sober, and when drinking it goes out the window sometimes and I can be a bit of a c**t. Never violent or anything, just an arsehole.

Usually the fear will be unjustified and I can move on. You see when you remember you actually have said/done something bad, or even just waffled a load of shite that on reflection wasn't as interesting as you thought, that's some real feels right there bro's. Your brain stores this memories away for the times when you're most relaxed (about to drift off to sleep usually) and then hits you like a thud to the balls. You can forget about something for five years and then BAM, dat beautiful self loathing.

In summary, you're fine mate YOLO.

This could be my life biography.

Edit: Nothing else, just this!

I'm nowhere near as bad with the drink as I used to be. I still go out 2-3 times on the weekend with the odd midweek session here and there, but my real improvement is not getting flat out drunk to the point where I don't insult everyone and have no recollection of getting home anymore. I'd say 70% of the time, I tend to reach a point where I stop drinking, go home, or both.

Even getting the fear got weirdly parochial after a while. After a while, you stop worrying about the fear. You realise that the chances are, people are either as blootered as you were, or too self-involved in their own fear to give a toss for your own.

I wouldn't worry too much about the downer phase. What goes up must come down. A hangover doesn't make reality any less of a bitch.

I believe that what happens on a night you drink is directly related to your general mood before you go out.Sometimes if I'm pissed off I won't bother having a drink. I always make sure I eat and drink plenty of water beforehand as well.

I'm currently off it, and that's related to general health really. The day after I'm similar to Hammer Jag, hungover, depressed, head is all over the place. That's come with age though, when I was 18-21 I could easily be on it for a week no worries, with no repercussions.

If you think your drinking is affecting your life then cut it down, simple as that. Either drink less when you're out or drink a pint of water instead of alcohol a couple of times during the night out. Amazing the difference that makes to your morning after.

Archived