Celtic Nations Cup planned for Championship clubs?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To fans of the Scottish clubs, I suppose there might be a slight attraction - from a novelty perspective - for the likes of Linfield or Glentoran.

Beyond that? I don't see it.

EDIT: Looking at history, Airdrieonians did play Ballymena in a Texaco Cup SF in 1971-72.

EDIT AGAIN: Except the away leg was played at Stranraer!!

The Setanta Cup was great for 3/4 years, but there was really big prize money. I was worried about the cross-border potential sectarian aspects of it at first, but it was superb while it lasted. When Setanta went tits up and the money was vastly reduced the IL clubs started treating it like the Glasgow Cup and it lost all of it's appeal, especially when Linfield and Cliftonville pulled out.

For a midweek game at Windsor against a run of the mill Scottish Championship side I doubt the Blues would top 1,500 by much, if it all, and it would get worse in subsequent seasons. HibeeJibee is right.

Just to clarify if it's just the Irish League & Welsh Premier League we have the following teams:

Aberystwyth Town
Airbus UK
Bala Town
Ballinamallard United
Ballymena United
Bangor City
Carmarthen Town
Cefn Druids
Cliftonville
Coleraine
Crusaders
Dungannon Swifts
GAP Connah's Quay
Glenavon
Glentoran
Institute
Linfield
Newtown
Portadown
Port Talbot Town
Prestatyn Town
Rhyl
The New Saints
Warrenpoint Town

As others have said none of them interests me in the slightest, especially not any travelling support Linfield would take with their Rangers-style sectarianism, even if the League of Ireland was involved the only one that interests me is Sligo Rovers & that is simply down to the personal thing of having relatives there.

Just to clarify if it's just the Irish League & Welsh Premier League we have the following teams:

Aberystwyth Town

Airbus UK

Bala Town

Ballinamallard United

Ballymena United

Bangor City

Carmarthen Town

Cefn Druids

Cliftonville

Coleraine

Crusaders

Dungannon Swifts

GAP Connah's Quay

Glenavon

Glentoran

Institute

Linfield

Newtown

Portadown

Port Talbot Town

Prestatyn Town

Rhyl

The New Saints

Warrenpoint Town

As others have said none of them interests me in the slightest, especially not any travelling support Linfield would take with their Rangers-style sectarianism, even if the League of Ireland was involved the only one that interests me is Sligo Rovers & that is simply down to the personal thing of having relatives there.

Are you saying that ALL Linfield fans are sectarian?

Complete non starter.

Would maybe go to the first one or two games in a " transpotting kind of way " Oh, I wonder what { random Welsh/ Irish team } are like!

After that interest would rapidly wain unti don' give a f*ck was reached

Complete non starter.

Would maybe go to the first one or two games in a " transpotting kind of way " Oh, I wonder what { random Welsh/ Irish team } are like!

After that interest would rapidly wain unti don' give a f*ck was reached

Agreed. Would want the Blues at QOS more than anything as Mrs AFJ's dad supports Queens. It fits in a visit to see him meaning she's happy and he and I get to go to a game and drink beer while she drives.

Perfect! This trophy is a great idea after all.

No I am saying that some of them are in a similar vain to Rangers.

Don't all clubs have dickhead fans?

Why "especially" single out Linfield?

Have had mods and work colleagues at Linfield games and all they saw were fairly average games, bog ordinary football fans and beer, nothing else.

Linfield have moved on immensely.

Considering the Irish/Welsh teams get papped out of Europe before summer ends any way I wouldn't be averse to this if we took the four semi-finalists (or two finalists) of the Challenge Cup and they entered with two/four teams from the other nations. A short cup lasting a coupla months mid-season could be interesting but dunno how long that'd last after the novelty runs out

Maybe have the cup played during the Summer and have all Scottish League teams in, alongside teams from sunny places like Malta, Rhodes and the Maldives? Might attract more fans than Prestatyn away.

All the way to the Maldives, and then the game gets washed out????

I got free tickets for Rangers v Linfield a few years ago from a guy I know who's got Murray Park connections. We were sat in the block behind the goal between the Blue Order & Union Bears (BF?). That was...erm...quite an...experience.

I got free tickets for Rangers v Linfield a few years ago from a guy I know who's got Murray Park connections. We were sat in the block behind the goal between the Blue Order & Union Bears (BF?). That was...erm...quite an...experience.

How so? A love in?

How so? A love in?

Does even begin to cover it

Both sets of fans singing "We hate Celtic more than you" was a personal highlight. Apart from that I was surrounded by seething bigots determined to vent as much fury about Catholics as they could.

Not recommended

Archived