Celtic Nations Cup planned for Championship clubs?

No, it isn't yet another dreary thread from RabidAl... although who knows, he may not be a nutter but actually a high-ranking SPFL official...

Yesterday's BBC Gossip column said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29814411

Scottish teams could be making regular trips to Wales and the Republic of Ireland if plans for a Celtic Nations Cup get underway when representatives of the Home Nations meet in November. (Scottish Daily Mail)

Now, I don't buy the Mail - but from what little I have picked-up online, the idea seems to be a new tournament involving clubs from the:

* Scottish Championship;

* League of Ireland (not sure if means top level or lower level);

* Welsh Premier;

* possibly Irish League?

Anyone who does buy the Mail got the full article? Anyone else know anything about the plans - is it to replace the Challenge Cup? Or is it an additional midweek tournament, e.g. using CL & EL dates?

Thoughts?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it isn't yet another dreary thread from RabidAl... although who knows, he may not be a nutter but actually a high-ranking SPFL official...

Scottish teams could be making regular trips to Wales and the Republic of Ireland if plans for a Celtic Nations Cup get underway when representatives of the Home Nations meet in November. (Scottish Daily Mail)

Now, I don't buy the Mail - but from what little I have picked-up online, the idea seems to be a new tournament involving clubs from the:

* Scottish Championship;

* League of Ireland (not sure if top level or lower level);

* Welsh Premier;

* possible Irish League?

Anyone who does buy the Mail got the full article? Anyone else know anything about the plans - is it to replace the Challenge Cup? Or is it an additional midweek tournament, e.g. using CL & EL dates?

Thoughts?

without knowing anymore than you have posted, its absolute madness.

There is nobody in any of those leagues that will get anybody excited. I can't see a single tie that will gather any interest. Most would leave clubs struggling to break even.

If it's a replacement for the Challenge Cup, involving all of the the three Scottish divisions, and maintaining the weekend dates for the first round and the final it might be ok. It it's an addition to the the Challenge Cup, or a replacement excluding clubs from the lower divisions, it would be pish.

* Scottish Championship;

* League of Ireland (not sure if means top level or lower level);

* Welsh Premier;

* possibly Irish League?

Thoughts?

The article suggested that it was the Irish League, not the League of Ireland, and the authors envisaged it replacing the Petrofac Training Cup, although it is all conjecture.

Given the Setanta Cup (all-Ireland cup) is dying on it's feet, I doubt the IL clubs would even want to travel to Scotland, never mind Wales.

I travelled from Falkirk to Wales to see Linfield beat TNS in pre-season, but that was on a sunny pre-season Saturday when I was needing a football fix, not in the depths of November. Imagine the hassles of getting time off work to get to a midweek game in Aberystwyth?

I suppose if I was still living in Belfast I would be much more inclined to go see the Blues play Falkirk, Dumbarton or Queen of the South, rather than a lower league team in the County Antrim Shield, but I just don't see this as a flyer. I would also go and see IL clubs if they were playing in Scotland, but not at the expense of taking time off work, and I guess the novelty would wear off after a season or two.

The only way it would attract teams is if, as was the case with the Setanta Cup in the first 3/4 years, it had very lucrative sponsorship.

Replace the Petrofac with this and keep it national until the late stages (last 8, last 16 at the very most) and it could be an interesting idea. Not sure what all the tears and snotters are about at the prospect of having to go to the likes of Southern Ireland for an away game replacing a complete bin like Livingston or Cowdenbeath on the calendar.

You missed a few threads not that long ago then. Can't remember the poster's name, but he produced a stream of ridiculous propositions regarding trophies and teams.

Can anyone help me out with this one?

I fondly remember the guy who suggested a merger between Stranraer and Berwick as well as one between Ayr and St Johnstone.

He was my favourite.

The article suggested that it was the Irish League, not the League of Ireland, and the authors envisaged it replacing the Petrofac Training Cup, although it is all conjecture.

I see, cheers.

In terms of crowds and competition, I don't see what this would do for Scottish Championship clubs, tbh.

My understanding is that most clubs in the Welsh and Northern Irish top tiers are part-time? Last season, the Irish League Premiership got an average of 887 (ranged from Linfield on 1,665 to Warrenpoint on 350).

Welsh Premier averaged 325 (from Rhyl on 594 to Afan Lido in 195).

Given that, I'd far rather keep the Challenge Cup.

Replace the Petrofac with this and keep it national until the late stages (last 8, last 16 at the very most) and it could be an interesting idea. Not sure what all the tears and snotters are about at the prospect of having to go to the likes of Southern Ireland for an away game replacing a complete bin like Livingston or Cowdenbeath on the calendar.

The cost and the time off work?

I see, cheers.

In terms of crowds and competition, I don't see what this would do for Scottish Championship clubs, tbh.

My understanding is that most clubs in the Welsh and Northern Irish top tiers are part-time? Last season, the Irish League Premiership got an average of 887 (ranged from Linfield on 1,665 to Warrenpoint on 350).

Welsh Premier averaged 325 (from Rhyl on 594 to Afan Lido in 195).

Given that, I'd far rather keep the Challenge Cup.

Top Irish League clubs all over 1,000, Linfield over 2,000 with the Glentoran game still to come (hoping for 8,000 plus at that if the Glenmen turn out, but they are having a dreadful time of it?) The sides are largely part time, although Linfield have some full-time players. Hard to know which ones this season though.

Team Total Attendance No. Attendances Recorded Average Attendance Ballinamallard United 3800 7 543 Ballymena United 5527 6 921 Cliftonville 9464 6 1577 Coleraine 6450 7 921 Crusaders 8935 7 1276 Dungannon Swifts 2520 7 360 Glenavon 6081 7 869 Glentoran 9607 6 1601 Institute 3416 7 488 Linfield 10850 5 2170 Portadown 6269 7 896 Warrenpoint Town 1331 6 222 Overall 74250 78 952

The initial novelty value might do something for all clubs concerned but, as already stated, it would take big sponsorship to make this turkey fly?

Archived