Top Five Irritating Accents

Dee Man

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mackem

Brummie

Hugely off topic, but what does someone from Berwick sound like? A general Scots accent?

I met a family of four from there on a flight to America and I've forgotten.

I was more interested in the football discussion. The mum and son supported Scotland, whilst the dad and daughter - England. Is it like that in many a family? Or, do most just follow England?

Hugely off topic, but what does someone from Berwick sound like? A general Scots accent?

I met a family of four from there on a flight to America and I've forgotten.

I was more interested in the football discussion. The mum and son supported Scotland, whilst the dad and daughter - England. Is it like that in many a family? Or, do most just follow England?

I'm from Gateshead so can't really answer that!

Weegie

Scouse

Brummy

Cockney

South African

Tend to find Scottish people are jealous of the Edinburgh accent because Edinburgh folk have the ability to talk properly and not like some jakey.

you did watch train spotting and have heard that c**t from gary tank commander. a horrible accent eh...

you did watch train spotting and have heard that c**t from gary tank commander. a horrible accent eh...

Trainspotting actually features very few Edinburgh accents and Gary Tank Commander is a weegie doing an impression of a Fifer.

Apart from that, good work.

There's a Russian woman in my office and her voice gets very irritating after a while. The rest of the list:

2. Midlands

3. Glasgow Uni

4. Australian

5. Southern Californian (female) - As in "like.. eww"

Sound accents

1. West African

2. Inverness

3. Carribean

4. Geordie

5. Souther Californian (male) - As in "wooah, gnarly bro!"

What is the 'Glasgow Uni' accent? I've noticed it referred to on here before but I have no idea what it is. I studied at Glasgow Uni and found the vast majority of my fellow students to have a bog standard middle class Scottish accent, no different to the accent of Scots at any other university. It was also considerably nicer than the accent that most people had in Glasgow (I love Glasgow, but the way that folk outside of the West End insisted on talking with their nose, and their apparent inability to bother pronouncing anything other than the first syllable of any given word was infuriating.).

Trainspotting actually features very few Edinburgh accents and Gary Tank Commander is a weegie doing an impression of a Fifer.

Apart from that, good work.

Gary tank commander guy :

Greg McHugh was born in Morningside, Edinburgh, Scotland on 5 January 1980.[2] His father was a civil servant, and his mother a teacher.[2] McHugh has two elder brothers.[3]

McHugh went to St Thomas of Aquin's High School or St Tams as it's known locally, he then studied business at the University of Stirling and trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow.[4][5] Initially, McHugh had intended to study sports science but found it too difficult.[2]

McHugh's accent is a softer variation of the Edinburgh accent.[6]

What is the 'Glasgow Uni' accent? I've noticed it referred to on here before but I have no idea what it is. I studied at Glasgow Uni and found the vast majority of my fellow students to have a bog standard middle class Scottish accent, no different to the accent of Scots at any other university. It was also considerably nicer than the accent that most people had in Glasgow (I love Glasgow, but the way that folk outside of the West End insisted on talking with their nose, and their apparent inability to bother pronouncing anything other than the first syllable of any given word was infuriating.).

Sort of a mix between Scottish and Cali Valley Girl. Something like this:

I don't know how common it is in Glasgow Uni but believe me, c***s do talk like this in the west end. "Oh my gawd, a WAITROSE".

Sort of a mix between Scottish and Cali Valley Girl. Something like this:

I don't know how common it is in Glasgow Uni but believe me, c***s do talk like this in the west end. "Oh my gawd, a WAITROSE".

To be fair seeing a Waitrose is very exciting. I was very relieved to discover there was a Waitrose on Byres Road when I moved there. Genuinely find it strange that people would chose to shop in other supermarkets when they are close to a Waitrose.

Gary tank commander guy :

Greg McHugh was born in Morningside, Edinburgh, Scotland on 5 January 1980.[2] His father was a civil servant, and his mother a teacher.[2] McHugh has two elder brothers.[3]

McHugh went to St Thomas of Aquin's High School or St Tams as it's known locally, he then studied business at the University of Stirling and trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow.[4][5] Initially, McHugh had intended to study sports science but found it too difficult.[2]

McHugh's accent is a softer variation of the Edinburgh accent.[6]

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

In any case, Gary Tank Commander is set in Fife somewhere so it's not too important where he's from in the discussion on Edinburgh accents, apart making me look a plank.

Glasgow and Edinburgh accents are pretty different but both similar in their rage inducing levels. Mild Edinburgh and Glasgow accents are both sound and quite pleasant to listen to, when they become too strong (usually too nasally with weegie and annoyingly "up and doon" with Edinburgh) they're both just horrible.

This sounds weird but I think some accents suit woman better and some suit men. A mild Edinburgh accent on a bird is quality and men with mild weegie accents sound like good c***s.

To be fair seeing a Waitrose is very exciting. I was very relieved to discover there was a Waitrose on Byres Road when I moved there. Genuinely find it strange that people would chose to shop in other supermarkets when they are close to a Waitrose.

glasgow uni accent sucks baws, it snearly as bad as the people who go to unis in glasgow and come from some place 90 miles from civiliasation and have the most teuchtery accent but within a few weeks are swaggering about doing their best to sound like shellsuit boab.

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

In any case, Gary Tank Commander is set in Fife somewhere so it's not too important where he's from in the discussion on Edinburgh accents, apart making me look a plank.

Glasgow and Edinburgh accents are pretty different but both similar in their rage inducing levels. Mild Edinburgh and Glasgow accents are both sound and quite pleasant to listen to, when they become too strong (usually too nasally with weegie and annoyingly "up and doon" with Edinburgh) they're both just horrible.

This sounds weird but I think some accents suit woman better and some suit men. A mild Edinburgh accent on a bird is quality and men with mild weegie accents sound like good c***s.

fair point , I was only having a laugh anyway in the name of keeping the old Glasgow Edinburgh rivalry alive.

Waitrose is Satan's own supermarket. An evil place full of horrendous wankers.

Archived