Bathgate 1-6 Blantyre

Ian38018

“Men against Boys” someone posted on the Pie and Bovril forum website last week, commenting on Bathgate’s inept performance at St Andrews. And by the end of this particular match, it was hard to disagree with that as a summation for this Scottish cup tie.

Although I felt the “Boys” held their own during a torrid first-half, where the phrase could have been more accurately applied to the disparity in build between the two sets of players, rather than as a comment upon their respective abilities.

For the Blantyre "Men" all looked just that important bit taller and more muscular than their Bathgate equivalents. Indeed, the visiting number Six and number Ten each looked at times not unlike two PE teachers being allowed to participate in a schools' match.

The sides turned around at 1-1, but two swift goals scored by Blantyre just after the break killed the contest, and for Bathgate thereafter damage limitation was the aim. And, as the final score-line attests, they were not terribly successful.

I suppose the youthful Bathgate side should be praised for attempting to play possession football from the back – rarely did the ‘keeper kick the ball from hand. But ultimately the players did not really have the ability to pass the ball through their opponents’ midfield, and the Vics’ lads just pressed Bathgate to death, punishing every misplaced pass ruthlessly.

Blantyre looked a pretty decent side, although I have to say I have rarely, if ever, witnessed a side celebrate their goals in such a...well, intimate manner. I suppose you call this sort of stuff male-bonding or team-building these days, but each goal was greeted with such effusive displays of Manlove, I felt at time awkwardly like some voyeuristic Peeping Tom.

With the result, I am sure at time-up distributed around the Creamery Park turf were half-a dozen gently steaming puddles of testosterone.

Get a room, chaps.

A few pix here: http://ian38018.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/bathgate-thistle-1-6-blantyre-vics.html

Great result and overall team performance from the Vic

Got to say what a fantastic pitch and ground ,pitch is like a bowling green great credit must go to your groundstaff :thumsup2 would be a fitting location for our final next week.

1st half thought wind and sun caused more problems for the Vic than Bathgate,got to agree they looked smaller in stature to Vic whose midfield destroyed them 2nd half chasing down every pass causing Bathgate to continually lose possession and then punished ruthlessly.

Love (there's that word again :eek: ) how we celebrate a goal to me shows how much they are all in it together on and off the park

Next Sunday is going to be massive step up going in as underdogs but play the game and not the occasion who knows

Best of luck :thumsup2 .

Great result and overall team performance from the Vic

Got to say what a fantastic pitch and ground ,pitch is like a bowling green great credit must go to your groundstaff :thumsup2 would be a fitting location for our final next week.

1st half thought wind and sun caused more problems for the Vic than Bathgate,got to agree they looked smaller in stature to Vic whose midfield destroyed them 2nd half chasing down every pass causing Bathgate to continually lose possession and then punished ruthlessly.

Love (there's that word again :eek: ) how we celebrate a goal to me shows how much they are all in it together on and off the park

Next Sunday is going to be massive step up going in as underdogs but play the game and not the occasion who knows

Best of luck :thumsup2 .

Glad you enjoyed the pitch. Would agree with everything you said. Blantyre were a bigger more physical side and we can't cope with that. We are getting over run in the middle of the park and making basic mistakes far too regularly.

Good luck in the next round.

Said all along the worst Bathgate junior side i have ever seen

Another touchline expert who I suspect turns up for games and expects to be watching Willie Hill standard players. You must no have seen some of the teams before that. Mind, 50 fans turning up with the majority paying £2 will soon see us up there in the Superleague again !!!!!!!!

No super league anytime soon pal. Clear out needed. This started as soon as Strickland was let go best manager we have had in a while but we decided to go amateur with the likes of Bobby main that's when the downhill spiral started

And where do you suggest Bathgate get the money to get your superleague players and superleague manager? The town - and folk like you - are exactly why we are where we are as you can't or won't get off your arse to do something about it. Big big man on here and at games shouting your mouth off.

Wee had the players when Strickland was the manager. To many sleekly people in the club

I must have missed something then. I'm pretty sure Strickland didn't get promotion with these players. I'd love you to tell me who these great " players" were?

Also, what's "sleekly"?

Sorry sleekit. A lot better than what use have now anyway. Too many amateurs buddy

Aye you're right but as I said earlier - as a general rule the better the player the more they cost. Bathgate are not supported enough by the town so if you can't pay that you need to set your sights lower. Ideally you get a good bunch of boys with a bit of hunger who gel as a team but that's no going to happen overnight.

No super league anytime soon pal. Clear out needed. This started as soon as Strickland was let go best manager we have had in a while but we decided to go amateur with the likes of Bobby main that's when the downhill spiral started

To be fair all this started before then. It was the decision to let Love go with a handful of games still left the season we got relegated.

I think to say it's the worst bathgate team in history is unfair. Take a look through the history and you'll see it isn't even close, not by a country mile. It's just the worst in living memory.

A clear out is a stupid idea I'd say, and let's face it, probably not possible. We've got some really good players. Murphy, Jack and Baird are great. The players around them need to improve.

Yes we've got no money, but the same can be said for many teams. How did teams like armadale make the super league? They're not exactly flush, are they?

Archived