Will some current Second Divisions prefer Lowland League

QOS Sean

That muppet Clark didn't underestimate Caley at all.....we finished 8th in the old second division that year, at the time our lowest placing since the war. We were shite, Caley were an all conquering force taking better teams than us to the cleaners. And earned the right to play with proper teams. They didn't have it handed to them. By the sounds of it you seem to think us auld dinosaur clubs have had their time, and the 'Spamtins' (christ) are the ones to administer our fate........Thats the spirit :)

TBH I don't wish Clyde any ill-will at all (I'll admit I used to when they were playing ICT at the top of div 2 and then div 1).

Whitehill are more of a dinosaur club than Spartans (see oor manager's comments about returning to a real football club when he left Spartans) but clubs like that seem to be the future with their 'academies' and 3g pitches.

I just think they'll win that's all.

I see WWFC have just got a mention on TalkSport as one of the great non-League places to visit, obviously I'm biased but places like Ainslie Park just don't do it for me.

Don't know a lot about Clyde's situation since ICT left them behind in 2004 but obviously it's not great and there's been talk about merging with EK. I'm old enough to have been at Shawfield (once).

FWIW I think Clark was quite patronising in his interviews after the Arbroath game which led to the Caley game (edit- had to look that up) and he kept calling them Ceilidh. I also thought he was ungracious in defeat and hung his goalie Stevenson out to dry. If I remember correctly, he said he had sold the jerseys.

But don't sell your team short, Clyde were the best team Caley beat that year as they were flying high in div 2 at the time. I actually thought Caley were tiring with 20 mins left but Urquhart scored and that gave them a huge boost.

But you could argue that Airdrie in 1990 was the strongest team ever beaten by Caley.

That Airdrie side went on to the final two years later........they also frequented the old Premier Division on and off....there's absolutely no arguing they were the biggest team Caley beat. We were hardly flying high....i reitirate, in my very short time on the planet prior to the game at Telford St, Clyde had struggled, but never so badly in that particular season....and fwiw, im making no great predictions about Saturday at all...we, as a one time big club, will get nothing more than a passing nod if as i expect we swat them aside 2 or 3 nil. Yet the planets going to stop spinning if Spartans fluke a 1-0 or get a replay. Theres little doubt that Spartans can win...but our record v non league sides until the last two years is atrocious....if the Clyde teams of the moment at this level are winning easily, then the standard must have dropped severely, when alongside visits and defeats to Caley and Peterhead in 85/86, we've endured the same fate at Fraserburgh 97/98, Nairn three years ago and a near miss at Huntly in 95/96. All of which gave you the fear. In fact the 1999 match against this mob was arguably only rescued by the fact most of our players had scrapped a fair bit in the juniors, before our win in the replay.

Clyde beat Brora in the Cup last year and East Fife beat them in the Challenge cup . Both games Brora were at home. As for the north cup tie Where were Elgin playing on the Saturday. If they were at home fair enough but if they were at Berwick or Annan they would hardly be able to stand on a Sunday

Yes, but that was before Sugar Daddy really began pumping his money into them. Brora Rangers need to be stopped before it's Gretna all over again (and at least the latter were league members already).

What could cause absolute chaos is if the Highland and Lowland Leagues fall pray to idiots wanting to play Football Manager Reality Mod and leaving others to pick up the pieces when they walk away bored - or if they fall pray to scoundrels deliberately doing so to make bankruptcy inevitable that a business partner can buy the land for property development from the administrators, leaving the locals with nothing but bitter memories.

But if the sugar daddy started pumping money in, they've not done that well. Turriff (who are shit by League 2 standards) would have been ahead of them if they hadn't had 3 points deducted. Can't see Brora being able to attract the kind of player Gretna could, even if they had the same type of money to spend. Too much of a backwater.

Clyde beat Brora in the Cup last year and East Fife beat them in the Challenge cup . Both games Brora were at home. As for the north cup tie Where were Elgin playing on the Saturday. If they were at home fair enough but if they were at Berwick or Annan they would hardly be able to stand on a Sunday

Brora were away to Clyde, but were beaten a lot more comfortably than the 2-1 would suggest. They were pretty shit to be honest. Nairn beat Clyde the year before. I didn't make the game at Broadwood but went to Nairn where they beat us 3-2. It was a game we should never have lost. We did obviously, but if it were a league campaign, Nairn would have lost most games like that, with the odd win like they managed against Clyde. Highland League's poor in my view. Will find out on Saturday how the Lowland League shapes up. I remember the last time we were at Spartans. Was glad to come away with a replay on a glue pot pitch and glad to survive with my life after braving a pint in a local Pilton pub !

Brora were away to Clyde, but were beaten a lot more comfortably than the 2-1 would suggest. They were pretty shit to be honest. Nairn beat Clyde the year before. I didn't make the game at Broadwood but went to Nairn where they beat us 3-2. It was a game we should never have lost. We did obviously, but if it were a league campaign, Nairn would have lost most games like that, with the odd win like they managed against Clyde. Highland League's poor in my view. Will find out on Saturday how the Lowland League shapes up. I remember the last time we were at Spartans. Was glad to come away with a replay on a glue pot pitch and glad to survive with my life after braving a pint in a local Pilton pub !

We've moved from City Park, just over the road & up a bit, otherwise you'll end up in Morrisons. I take it you went in the Anchor for a pint, what's it like, I've been up here 10 years nearly & still never been in?

We've got a lovely bar upstairs in the club house, with beer on tap & loads of bottled stuff too.

See ya Saturday

Grimbo

Yes, as I noted elsewhere, 7 of Elgin's starting XI had started away v Berwick the day before, with 2 more having featured as subs.

We've moved from City Park, just over the road & up a bit, otherwise you'll end up in Morrisons. I take it you went in the Anchor for a pint, what's it like, I've been up here 10 years nearly & still never been in?

We've got a lovely bar upstairs in the club house, with beer on tap & loads of bottled stuff too.

See ya Saturday

Grimbo

Could tell you hadn't grim- not many get to live to tell the tale. Certainly not with that kind of accent.......

See ya Saturday

Grimbo

Grimbo, can't remember what the pub was called. But it was bloody scary ! Lol

Yeh, knew you had moved grounds, looks good the new one. Looking forward to the visit. Are visiting fans welcome in the bar btw or is it just members ?

Grimbo, can't remember what the pub was called. But it was bloody scary ! Lol

Yeh, knew you had moved grounds, looks good the new one. Looking forward to the visit. Are visiting fans welcome in the bar btw or is it just members ?

Oh yeah, I've got a ticket to get in the bar, so probably not. Sorry.

There's a pub called Spier's Bar on Ferry Road, it's about 3 or 4 bus stops away, it's got a bookies next door too.

Grimbo

Archived