New Oil Field Discovered In North Sea

DAFC

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The UK government's Business and Energy Minister Matthew Hancock said: "We are determined to have set the right fiscal and regulatory regimes to make sure we can get the maximum possible economic extraction of oil and gas from the North Sea.

"This discovery shows exactly what can be achieved in the North Sea if companies work together to maximise the considerable potential of remaining oil and gas reserves."

Ah yes, the 'considerable potential' of the oil reserves has reappeared post-referendum. Fantastic. Now we have even MORE money to blithely dole out to London.

Scotland really has to be the laughing stock of the world. Reject independence for your country and give all your oil revenues away.

In a world that goes to war over oil I can't think of any other country who would voluntarily give it away.

Norway must be bewildered at how fekin stupid we are!

Scotland really has to be the laughing stock of the world. Reject independence for your country and give all your oil revenues away.

In a world that goes to war over oil I can't think of any other country who would voluntarily give it away.

Norway must be bewildered at how fekin stupid we are!

We might well get them all after these Smith commission negotiations. The revenue is de minimis now anyway.

Scots didnt want to leave the union regardless of your whining. You'll just need to accept that. As mentioned before Scotland gets a Barneted share of stamp duty in England, which is a far greater amount than tax revenue from the north sea. So as these things get shared out, it's not so bad is it? <_<

We might well get them all after these Smith commission negotiations. The revenue is de minimis now anyway.

Scots didnt want to leave the union regardless of your whining. You'll just need to accept that. As mentioned before Scotland gets a Barneted share of stamp duty in England, which is a far greater amount than tax revenue from the north sea. So as these things get shared out, it's not so bad is it? <_<

You can play about with statistics as much as you like, picking the ones that suit your argument (as you have), but remaining oil reserves were a central plank of the "no" campaign. Now, all of a sudden, there are finds all over the shop and the picture is so much brighter. It's pish, and everyone knows it. People were duped, but then a lot of them didn't need much duping to go with the safe option, which is more of the same.

You can play about with statistics as much as you like, picking the ones that suit your argument (as you have), but remaining oil reserves were a central plank of the "no" campaign. Now, all of a sudden, there are finds all over the shop and the picture is so much brighter. It's pish, and everyone knows it. People were duped, but then a lot of them didn't need much duping to go with the safe option, which is more of the same.

One?

Oil and gas revenue for the entire UK being 1.1bn in the first six months of this financial year. That's the cold hard fact. oil trading at $85 a barrel when the SNP did their sums based on it being $113 a barrel? That's another. Salmond claiming thei oil price would be $150 a barrel by 2020..

This is good news regardless of whether we're in the Union or an Independent nation. People didn't vote no because of oil uncertainty IMO, so not sure why a 'GIRUY' is required everytime a news item like this is released.

Why did people vote no then?

For plenty of reasons. Not many no voters I know voted that way because of oil.

Plenty did vote no because the economic argument for an independent scotland wasn't strong enough, true, but oil only makes up a part of that argument.

This discovery is pretty bad news then, as what I picked up from the Referendum was having vast oil reserves actually makes Scotland poorer. Or, have I been misled somehow?

No You've not been misled...more oil = more money given away = poorer

For plenty of reasons. Not many no voters I know voted that way because of oil.

Plenty did vote no because the economic argument for an independent scotland wasn't strong enough, true, but oil only makes up a part of that argument.

Ahhh, too poor. The age old argument. It's good to see you back again.

Ahhh, too poor. The age old argument. It's good to see you back again.

Like it or not, that is why people voted no. The Yes campaign's economic argument clearly wasn't strong enough as that was the biggest factor in why people voted no.

Out of interest, what way do you think I voted?

Archived