Mark Wotte

~~~

From a QP perspective, his initiative is fecking our youth system, acknowledged to be exactly what the SFA are trying to achieve, with the exception of not being able to offer full time football to our kids. On that basis, don't let the door bang your arse on the way out.

I've heard that a lot of people in Scotland have been waiting to pop the champers on his departure.

It does seem a strange time to be leaving, when his initiatives have not had time to bed in. It'll surprise absolutely no one that the SFA's handling of the introduction of the initiatives has been a bit of a shambles.

Liked the idea of somebody focusing completely on player performances and development instead of just the results like our national managers rightly do as that is what they get judged on. Would've liked him to stay a bit longer to see if his plans worked but instead he seems to be leaving and claiming some of Gordon Strachans achievements with him.

No idea what he did or what difference this makes.

Caught a swatch at the SFA FB comments which are always a laugh, and the fantasists going on about how great/terrible he was definitely delivered the enjoyment I'd hoped.

He never stood a chance. Scottish football dinosaurs don't like to being told what to do. Especially not from Johnny Foreigner.

Alan Preston slating him on Radio Scotland just there. I mean Alan fucking Preston. The guy can barely string a sentence together :1eye

Shame, I would rather he'd have stayed but the knives seem to be out.

Will we get a better candidate? I doubt it.

Billy Dodds comment about how it would be nice if everyone could ring fence their job for 10 years is funny- he's been lurching from disaster to disaster longer than that and he's still in work. If he gets it, we can all quit now.

Strange one. He's obviously left as he's fell out with one or more people in the SFA.

Can't be a good thing for our game IMO. Will probably end up with someone like Malpas getting his job sadly.

Today's Scotsman seems to think the SFA's Professional Game Board... which is largely dominated by the SPFL... wanted him gone over his large salary in "a squeeze on budgets". Claims it's not certain he'll actually be replaced.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/opinion-split-over-mark-wotte-after-sfa-departure-1-3579078

... And the fact the SFA has yet to state whether the Dutchman will be replaced after three years has led to speculation a squeeze on budgets demanded by the Professional Game Board may have helped in his departure. Wotte’s generous salary was said to be an issue in the overall package of £10 million the SFA sought to invest in its Scotland United: A 2020 Vision, strategic plan. ...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/performance-guru-mark-wotte-quits-4479781

... The SFA statement on his exit was ambiguous over whether he jumped or was pushed – but Record Sport understands Regan had come under increasing pressure from the SFPL’s top clubs to force the 53-year-old out the door. The league body’s failed power grab back in April ahead of the SFA agm made clear their unhappiness at the way £5million-a-year funding for Wotte’s performance programme was being spent. And it’s believed several top-flight chairmen are still convinced the money – including Wotte’s salary and expenses – could be better spent if redirected into the professional game’s hands. ...

I'm not in the 'hero' nor 'zero' camp. I doubt he was a genius of youth development - and if he was he'd be leaving for a bigger club or FA anyway. Equally, if he's annoyed the likes of Allan Preston and Maurice Malpas my guess is he was doing something forward-looking and reforming.

Shame really as there was physical evidence that his methods were working. Our team won the victory shield for the first time in about 15 years and our 17s got to the semi finals of the Euros. Was hoping this would transfer into our main team in 5-6 years but wasn't to be.

Our youth teams were also successful in tournaments plenty of times before he took over. I have no idea how good he was at the youth development part of his job, and let's face it neither will many others on here.

Based on his Twitter account and other comments I've seen from him in various places, the guy comes across as a total arse. I think it's very convenient for him to quit now before his job is complete so he can't be held accountable. He'll get another job and then if things go well for us in the future he'll claim credit, while if they go badly he'll distance himself.

Our youth teams were also successful in tournaments plenty of times before he took over. I have no idea how good he was at the youth development part of his job, and let's face it neither will many others on here.

Based on his Twitter account and other comments I've seen from him in various places, the guy comes across as a total arse. I think it's very convenient for him to quit now before his job is complete so he can't be held accountable. He'll get another job and then if things go well for us in the future he'll claim credit, while if they go badly he'll distance himself.

That would always be the case with this kind of job though, no matter how long he stayed. He can always claim we would be in a worse situation if he hadn't been there, and others can claim the opposite, there's no way to prove either way. The only real criteria that matters is success of the senior squad, however as we've seen with Levein/Strachan success is largely down to what manager you have. You could have produced a good crop of players but they achieve nothing because there's a clown in charge.

I think the fact that people didn't like him is a positive, from my experience with the SFA (at coaching level) there is an old boys club mentality who don't like their feathers ruffled.

That would always be the case with this kind of job though, no matter how long he stayed. He can always claim we would be in a worse situation if he hadn't been there, and others can claim the opposite, there's no way to prove either way. The only real criteria that matters is success of the senior squad, however as we've seen with Levein/Strachan success is largely down to what manager you have. You could have produced a good crop of players but they achieve nothing because there's a clown in charge.

I think the fact that people didn't like him is a positive, from my experience with the SFA (at coaching level) there is an old boys club mentality who don't like their feathers ruffled.

Agree with this. And this article backs it up: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29725037

Essentially people are slating him for being abrupt and blunt - who gives a toss as long as he's making progress (although I accept progress in the grassroots/youth arena is always hard to prove)?

Apparently Maurice Malpas didn't like it because MW said: 'I know better, I come from Holland - their system is better, they have better players'. How dare he use blatant facts in such a fashion! :lol:

Apparently Maurice Malpas didn't like it because MW said: 'I know better, I come from Holland - their system is better, they have better players'. How dare he use blatant facts in such a fashion! :lol:

Malpas is an idiot and the sort of dinosaur coach we need rid of. However, Wotte being from a country which produces better players doesn't automatically make him know better than people from other countries.

Ruud Gullit is Dutch - does that mean he knows better than Alex Ferguson about coaching or player development?

It's also not a "blatant fact" that the Dutch system is better given the economies of scale involved (more people = more good players) and more importantly the fact that much of the good recent youth development there seems to have come from Ajax and Feyenoord. Is it just that these clubs have better systems than any of ours? Maybe if Rangers and Celtic put more effort into their academies we'd produce more players of that quality even if the SFA didn't change anything.

Dunno if it was Wotte who implimented the current youth set up all over Scotland but the changes made in the last 5 or so years are for the better . So much so that England have basically copied our system but are a few years behind . Hope this means we will be so much better than them for a few years .

Archived