Scotland should pick SPL player

No.

The less Scottish based players the better. I'd rather we picked players from League 1 than our top flight.

Hi Lex,

Can you please state the 5 League 1 players you would call up instead of the following Scottish-based players that have been selected since August?

Craig Gordon

Charlie Mulgrew

Mark Reynolds

Scott Brown

Callum McGregor

Shouldn't be too difficult a task.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@acciesfc players Stephen Hendrie, Michael Devlin, Grant Gillespie ,Ali Crawford and Ziggy Gordon will become Scotland internationals. In fact, that's probably stating the obvious.

Anyone think Scotland should call up SPL players

If they are absolutely outstanding then they might get a look in for a friendly otherwise no

Hi Lex,

Can you please state the 5 League 1 players you would call up instead of the following Scottish-based players that have been selected since August?

Craig Gordon

Charlie Mulgrew

Mark Reynolds

Scott Brown

Callum McGregor

Shouldn't be too difficult a task.

4 Celtic players and an Aberdeen player who is at best 4th choice in by far our weakest position. I don't have a problem with any of those being picked. The Celtic players would all be lower end Premier League or Championship players if they played in England. Reynolds, going by how he got on at Sheffield Wednesday is probably League 2 standard, but we have little else in that position.

@acciesfc players Stephen Hendrie, Michael Devlin, Grant Gillespie ,Ali Crawford and Ziggy Gordon will become Scotland internationals. In fact, that's probably stating the obvious.

Anyone think Scotland should call up SPL players

I would like it if Scotland caps were only open to players currently in the SPFL Premiership or have played at least 50 premiership games.

4 Celtic players and an Aberdeen player who is at best 4th choice in by far our weakest position. I don't have a problem with any of those being picked. The Celtic players would all be lower end Premier League or Championship players if they played in England. Reynolds, going by how he got on at Sheffield Wednesday is probably League 2 standard, but we have little else in that position.

Does that mean that Darren Fletcher is better than Scott Brown?

Are you trolling?

No... Darren Fletcher is just finding it harder to dislodge Juan Mata and Angel Herrera after a near career threatening illness than Scott Brown is staying ahead of Tom Rogic and Jackson Irvine. It's why Darren Fletcher (when fit) is Scotland captain and being the same age as Broony has more caps than him despite having to take two years out of the game. Darren Fletcher has won more trophies at a higher level than Brown. Just coincidence tho' eh?

None of those players are near international class. Infact suggesting Hendrie and Devlin is laughable

Just because they were poor in that one game. Not that I'm suggesting both should be in the squad, they shouldn't in fact up until a few weeks ago I thought it pretty laughable that Hendrie was in the U21s while Ziggy never got a look in and was indeed overlooked for Findlay of Celtic who was part of the famous Morton 10-2 defence. But both him and Devlin have been part of a defence that has not lost a goal in something like 8 hours of football. One is 19 and nearing 100 appearances, the other has just turned 21. Perhaps there is a case for including them in the squad for a friendly. For all that Ryan Gauld has huge potential, he is currently not in his first team yet he gets picked. I think all the players named have the potential to get a big move down south. I saw Andy Robertson in two of his early QP games and thought he looked some talent but I don't believe he is way above Ziggy's level. Gordon's strength is his great tackling ability and is no slouch attacking but clearly not in Hutton's league in that department. I can't see Ziggy ever gliding past players in that manner but I believe he could be a better defender.

Just because they were poor in that one game. Not that I'm suggesting both should be in the squad, they shouldn't in fact up until a few weeks ago I thought it pretty laughable that Hendrie was in the U21s while Ziggy never got a look in and was indeed overlooked for Findlay of Celtic who was part of the famous Morton 10-2 defence. But both him and Devlin have been part of a defence that has not lost a goal in something like 8 hours of football. One is 19 and nearing 100 appearances, the other has just turned 21. Perhaps there is a case for including them in the squad for a friendly. For all that Ryan Gauld has huge potential, he is currently not in his first team yet he gets picked. I think all the players named have the potential to get a big move down south. I saw Andy Robertson in two of his early QP games and thought he looked some talent but I don't believe he is way above Ziggy's level. Gordon's strength is his great tackling ability and is no slouch attacking but clearly not in Hutton's league in that department. I can't see Ziggy ever gliding past players in that manner but I believe he could be a better defender.

You might be right. Andy Robertson always looked pretty average and mistake prone against us, and look at him now.

No... Darren Fletcher is just finding it harder to dislodge Juan Mata and Angel Herrera after a near career threatening illness than Scott Brown is staying ahead of Tom Rogic and Jackson Irvine. It's why Darren Fletcher (when fit) is Scotland captain and being the same age as Broony has more caps than him despite having to take two years out of the game. Darren Fletcher has won more trophies at a higher level than Brown. Just coincidence tho' eh?

:lol:

What he did 5 years ago is an utter irrelevance. He isn't the same player he was. Brown is currently a better player. Which is why he is 1st pick, and Fletcher is 3rd, at best. :)

I think over the years the cries for SPL players from supporters of their own clubs' players would make a pretty good side. Just working from the top of my head, we could have:

Jamie Langfield

Ziggy Gordon

Steven Anderson

Russell Anderson

Lee Wallace

Paul McGowan

Murray Davidson

Gary Mackay-Steven

Johnny Russell

Stevie May

Jamie Murphy

Good team IMO.

I think over the years the cries for SPL players from supporters of their own clubs' players would make a pretty good side. Just working from the top of my head, we could have:

Jamie Langfield

Ziggy Gordon

Steven Anderson

Russell Anderson

Lee Wallace

Paul McGowan

Murray Davidson

Gary Mackay-Steven

Johnny Russell

Stevie May

Jamie Murphy

Good team IMO.

Hahaha a good team. Thats a shocker of a team

:lol:

What he did 5 years ago is an utter irrelevance. He isn't the same player he was. Brown is currently a better player. Which is why he is 1st pick, and Fletcher is 3rd, at best. :)

So what's Brown doing now that's elevated him to above Fletcher? Playing averagely for a mid table SPL team? Behave yersel'. If Fletcher was at Celtic he'd be their star player. Leigh Griffiths isn't playing much for Celtic but I'd still have him upfront for Scotland over Andy Barrowman despite him having more game time. Yer comparing a Champions League winner and vice captain for one of the biggest clubs in the world to a bang average player who gives away stupid fouls almost as often as the ball

I'm not getting involved in the Brown/Fletcher argument but I've seen a few post recently writing of Fletcher. Even some saying he's finished, this is nonsense imo. If he can't get back in the Man U team I hope he gets a move in January, he's still a good BPL player and important player for Scotland.

The standard of the game up here is excellent, genuinely superb over the past decade for a nation of our tiny size. Our proportional attendances are envied around the world.

Oh how these facts must annoy the cringers.

Archived