How much do you care about the SPL?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take an interest in whichever league Rovers are playing in. Apart from that I watch Match of the Day so have a passing interest in the English Premier League. I haven't actively followed what's happening in the Scottish top division since back in the '90s, when it was vaguely worth watching.

I take an interest in whichever league Rovers are playing in. Apart from that I watch Match of the Day so have a passing interest in the English Premier League. I haven't actively followed what's happening in the Scottish top division since back in the '90s, when it was vaguely worth watching.

I'm like that but with Cowden of course. I may have a look at the other division's tables to see whose doing what but that's about it.

When I was younger I used to go to a lot of neutral games in midweek etc but wouldn't do it now with Premiership games as its far too dear and tend to go to either Lowland League or the juniors when wanting to take a match.

One things for sure, it's better than it was when Rangers were in it. Ever since Rangers went down the league has been so much better. I'm not as interested this season after what was Saints best ever season in Scottish Football. We've failed to keep the momentum going and I'm bitter about that. I am however still very interested in the time being, simply because Celtic aren't top of the league and because of the never ending hope that another team will win the league.

Have to laugh at championship fans saying they are not interested in the SPL. If your team got promoted to it I bet you'd be sure as hell interested. Gaz FFC saying it was relief that you went down - how sad. I want Saints to stay in the top flight for as long as possible to give us a better crack at the cups and to enter European competition again.For a team like Saints, getting into Europe is the pinnacle of league football.

I went for about 20 years having virtually no interest in it at all. Couldnt care less which of the OF won it. I have to admit though to paying a lot more attention to it in the last two or three seasons. Partly thats because its less predictable and more interesting. Mainly though I think it is because there are a lot more ex Queens players and managers in it. I am more interested in following how they do.

It's a great league this year, far more interesting than any top flight in my memory.

Hamilton Accies have just played the top 3 in the country from last season (Motherwell, Celtic and Aberdeen) in succession. They won all 3 games, scoring 8 and conceding 0 in the process. They are now clear at the top of the league.

Absolutely remarkable stuff.

I went for about 20 years having virtually no interest in it at all. Couldnt care less which of the OF won it. I have to admit though to paying a lot more attention to it in the last two or three seasons. Partly thats because its less predictable and more interesting. Mainly though I think it is because there are a lot more ex Queens players and managers in it. I am more interested in following how they do.

How is it less predictable?

Well it's still predictable because we all still know Celtic are going to win it.

Exactly.

It's nice to see Accies doing so well, but it probably won't last. It's gone from a two horse race, to a one horse stroll.

I showed a bit of interest when Romanov's money had Hearts top. Then he lost the plot and fired Burley.

Prior to this the last time it was interesting was when Aberdeen could have won the league on the last day of the season (1991?) but blew it when Michael Watt was bullied by Hateley.

Obviously I showed an interest in it when Rovers were there.

It really needs a non-OF team to win it.

Bar our title winning season I found our adventures in the second tier relatively meh. Think that was more to do with us being an unexciting team though. All in all the first division isn't a bad place to be, it's just that the top flight is an infinitely better place to be as and I've said this previously. Better teams, better crowds, better away days(bar the sorely missed days out to Edinburgh) . Just better.

I showed a bit of interest when Romanov's money had Hearts top. Then he lost the plot and fired Burley.

Prior to this the last time it was interesting was when Aberdeen could have won the league on the last day of the season (1991?) but blew it when Michael Watt was bullied by Hateley.

It really needs a non-OF team to win it.

Hearts challenged the Old Firm almost right the way through the 1997-98 season.

Celtic won the title with 74 points, ending Rangers' chance of ten in a row, as they finished second with 72 points. Hearts finished third with 67 points but won the Scottish Cup.

If we had managed to beat both Celtic and Rangers in any of the matches we lost to them, we would have won the league.

Here's the VHS we released of that special season:

Funnily enough, Hibs also got relegated that year. :lol:

Archived