Your First Scotland Game

Mr Gandosaur

think it was 1980 V England, did not know I was going until the morning of the game, pity we lost, also went down on a football special train from Arbroath, at the age of 14, it was also the 1st time I had been on a train

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8th March 1989

Scotland 2 France 0

I was there with my under 14's team, Johnston with 2 goals, pissed down the whole game and I wouldn't have got any wetter if I had jumped i the sea! Amazing atmosphere though!

Funnily enough that was my first Scotland game too. Got soaked walking from the bus park (the blaze pitches at Toryglen) but we had got tickets for the covered "Rangers end" at Hampden.

My memory is walking past all the burger bars and being impressed by the beams of the old Hampden floodlights shining through the rainy gloom. Aren't stand mounted floodlights just crap by the way? Can't beat the old floodlight pylons imho...

It's still the biggest crowd I've ever been in too- 65,204.

In 1993 at home (Ibrox) against Malta. It was a World Cup Qualifier we won 3-0 (goals from Nevin and McCoist x2). At the time my Dad had a decent job and through his work we actually got executive seats and found ourselves alongside Walter Smith as well as a few other Scottish managers and players.

This was also my first game :)

28 March 2001 Vs San Marino, we won 4-0. I remember it as my name was up on the big screen for my birthday. It was cute

Only thing I remember about that game was Colin Hendry knocking someone out by elbowing him across the throat :(

Scotland 0 v Spain 2 November 1974. First game of the European Championships after our World Cup in West Germany. Midweek game played under floodlight with about 92,000 crowd (could be wrong). Totally mesmerised by the place and fell in love straight away with the place. Always remember David Harvey in goals doing a remarkable impression of a worm wriggling around the ground trying to save one of the goals and Jose Angel Iribar in goals for Spain.

Fairly sure mine was Scotland beating Spain when Dalglish scored that goal. 3-1? 1985? That's the first I remember anyhoo. I was obviously very young at the time.

Its quite incredible to think how bad Spain were then - or how good we were? Probably a wee bit of both.

From the highlights its Scotland dominating the ball and creating chances - with Spain relying on a set-piece to score.

28 years eh? Christ knows what will be happening in 2042.

1-1 v Bulgaria, 27th March 1991. European Championship qualifier. Emil Kostadinov and John Collins were the goalscorers.

Went to see us play Bulgaria pre 1978 World Cup. Pay at the gate and the SFA totally underestimated the crowd size. We ended up getting in 1/2 hour after kick off with us winning 2-1. Iain Wallace scored one I think.

Archived