Your First Scotland Game

Mr Gandosaur

Sort of a follow on from the W/D/L thread. What was your first Scotland game?

Mine was February 2003 in a friendly against Republic of Ireland at Hampden. We lost 2-0 and were dreadful. Clinton Morrison score and I think Kevin Kilbane got the other. Not sure we even had a shot on goal that night!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first Scotland game would've been against a Scotland League XI from round about the late 80s maybe 1990? Am I imagining this fixture and does it even count?

After that it would've been a school trip during the Euro 96 qualifiers - not sure which one though. Were any of those played at Easter Rd? Weirdly I recall a fixture from that time.

16th Aug 1995

Scotland 1 - 0 Greece

McCoist had been out long term with a leg break, but he came on after 70 odd minutes in this game. He scored with one of his first touches and we won 1-0.

Practically sealed our qualification for Euro 96 if I recall correctly.

The friendly against the Faroes at Celtic Park in 2006, we won 6-0, with Garry O'Connor getting a goal :lol:

That wasn't a friendly, it was a Euro qualifier

My first game was June 1979 v Argentina at Hampden. I was only 8 and the old man took me as a belated birthday present ( we only lived 100 yards from the ground so it was about fuckin time) We lost 3-1 and Maradona scored his first ever international goal that day. The previously banned Arthur Graham scored for us. Footage here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxFuYut827g

10th June 1996

Euro 96

Villa Park

Holland 0-0 Scotand

Couple of Dandies in the starting line up, Booth and McKimmie.

Just remember that we sat behind Rod Stewart and everyone was over the moon with the result.

I wore jeans.

Sort of a follow on from the W/D/L thread. What was your first Scotland game?

Mine was February 2003 in a friendly against Republic of Ireland at Hampden. We lost 2-0 and were dreadful. Clinton Morrison score and I think Kevin Kilbane got the other. Not sure we even had a shot on goal that night!

Funnily enough this was my first game aswel. I always remember s couple of Hibs fans applauding Nick Colgan.

Lithuania in 2003?

Darren Fletcher scored his first Scotland goal after coming off the bench.

Same for me.

First goal on his second cap.

I joined the SSC the next year when I moved to Glasgow. After 10 years, I decided to drop it before this campaign due to the shite scheduling. Can't make all these weekday or Friday night pish.

16th Aug 1995

Scotland 1 - 0 Greece

McCoist had been out long term with a leg break, but he came on after 70 odd minutes in this game. He scored with one of his first touches and we won 1-0.

Practically sealed our qualification for Euro 96 if I recall correctly.

McCoist had been back ages by then. The leg break happened in May or June 93, in Portugal.

I was at the Greece game too.

My first match was the 0-0 draw at Hampden against England in 87. Charlie Nicholas came off the bench and hit the bar when confronted by an open goal.

My dad got a hole in one on the same day though. I thought you should all know.

2009 Scotland 2 Iceland 1

Seen McCormack and Fletcher score in a narrow 2-1 win in a match that we should've beat Iceland by more.

Famous for being the match after boozegate and the V's being flicked by ferguson and macgregor.

Archived