A Beginners Guide?

Bookmonkey

Hello, first post on this forum so take it easy on me!

The Lowland League is a new experience for me (previously my football loyalties were elsewhere) so what do I need to know? What are the big derbies? Does the winner of the LL stand a chance against the HL winner? How many teams are ready for the SPFL? Any advice welcome!

Thanks, BM.

The Lowland League is a new experience for me (previously my football loyalties were elsewhere) so what do I need to know? What are the big derbies? Does the winner of the LL stand a chance against the HL winner? How many teams are ready for the SPFL? Any advice welcome!

Thanks, BM.

^^^spartans fan imo

What are the big derbies?

[Disclaimer :lol:]... Entirely as I perceive the rough feelings:

Spartans-Whitehill... verymuch a derby, undoubtedly, albeit one borne of them having been the 'powerhouse pairing' until recent times, as opposed to geographic or institutional factors

Gala-Selkirk... Selkirkshire derby

Dalbeattie-Threave... Stewartry derby

Edinburgh City-Spartans... Edinburgh derby and traditional derby for both clubs; means more to City

Edinburgh Uni-Stirling Uni... university rivalry

Selkirk-Vale + Gala-Vale... Border derbies

Dalbeattie-Gretna + Gretna-Threave... Dumfries & Galloway derbies

Edinburgh Uni-Spartans... Spartans were formed as a graduate club of Edinburgh Uni; means more to Uni

EDIT: "Means more" is not really the right wording, but you know what I mean. Having seen some of each Spartans-Whitehill is top dog in Spartans perception.

Does the winner of the LL stand a chance against the HL winner?

Possibly. On paper big-spending Brora Rangers should be favourites over almost any part-time club going.

That said Brora struggled v Vale last season. Next month's Scottish Cup tie between Edinburgh City & Brora could be a good guide.

How many teams are ready for the SPFL?

Criteria-wise?

Right now 10 of 14 clubs hold the necessary Entry licence. All should have by next summer as it's becoming HL/LL standard.

Some of those will already have the necessary Bronze floodlights. Waivers/grace can be requested. Officially:

http://spfl.co.uk/spfl/

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__091214membershipcriterialetter2015_16_1410788563.pdf

[Disclaimer :lol:]...

Criteria-wise?

Right now 10 of 14 clubs hold the necessary Entry licence. All should have by next summer as it's becoming HL/LL standard.

Some of those will already have the necessary Bronze floodlights. Waivers/grace can be requested. Officially:

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__091214membershipcriterialetter2015_16_1410788563.pdf

Criteria wise than, like HJ, mean then there's a fair few clubs ready, Spartans especially.

However, in my opinion, teams like Gala and East Kilbride have the most untapped potential to build on and become established SPFL sides.

EK come from a large town where there's two clubs of the same stature who are basically fighting for the same sets of fans. But with EK having the chance to gain promotion to the SPFL and climb the ladder, I'm sure, that will draw fans in from a massive potential fanbase.

Gala are a stand alone club in a decent sized town. They can attract a decent sized fanbase already from Galashiels, and also from neighbouring towns, which could only get larger with promotion and no real competition from other clubs for fans (no offence Selkirk and VoL). You also get a real sense that they are a community friendly club which is a good reputation to have, and one they can build on.

In fairness though, I'd say all clubs who have their entry level are showing that they want to progress and what not. I just believe that them two clubs, if they have the playing side to take them to the next level, can certainly establish themselves in the SPFL.

Ahhhh, that's my two cents. Enjoy.

[Disclaimer :lol:]... Entirely as I perceive the rough feelings:

Spartans-Whitehill... verymuch a derby, undoubtedly, albeit one borne of them having been the 'powerhouse pairing' until recent times, as opposed to geographic or institutional factors

Gala-Selkirk... Selkirkshire derby

Dalbeattie-Threave... Stewartry derby

Edinburgh City-Spartans... Edinburgh derby and traditional derby for both clubs; means more to City

Edinburgh Uni-Stirling Uni... university rivalry

Selkirk-Vale + Gala-Vale... Border derbies

Dalbeattie-Gretna + Gretna-Threave... Dumfries & Galloway derbies

Edinburgh Uni-Spartans... Spartans were formed as a graduate club of Edinburgh Uni; means more to Uni

EDIT: "Means more" is not really the right wording, but you know what I mean. Having seen some of each Spartans-Whitehill is top dog in Spartans perception.

Possibly. On paper big-spending Brora Rangers should be favourites over almost any part-time club going.

That said Brora struggled v Vale last season. Next month's Scottish Cup tie between Edinburgh City & Brora could be a good guide.

Criteria-wise?

Spartans certainly enjoy beating City so I don't know if it means more to us as such, although Welfare v Spartans is probably more of a derby given the relative successes of those clubs over the years compared to us :(

We have also had a few tussles with the Welfare over the years as well!

Thanks for the replies. It all helps to create a picture of what the LL is about.

As for me (will try and avoid this sounding like a dating site profile!). Live in Edinburgh, although grew up just outside Gretna (seen them play in both the FA Cup and Scottish Cup). Was a ST holder at Ibrox for a number of years but have become increasingly disillusioned with the 'big club' match day experience. In addition I now have a football mad 4 year old who participates in the Spartans Saturday morning sessions. It seemed logical to take him to see a game at Ainslie Park and when I did I remembered why I loved football so much. Sounds a bit corny bit it's true.

Thanks, BM.

Here's a quick breakdown:

Broomhill Sports Club: controversial addition accused by some of being a token Weegie club because they couldn't get any of the Juniors to join - ironically have to use a Juniors ground to play in (Maryhill's).

East Kilbride: even more controversial addition as owned by some dodgy businessmen with links to Fat Sally who ran up Cloudcuckooland schemes a decade back of taking over East Kilbride Thistle Juniors with promises of taking them into the Scottish league. No arguing with the set up they have in place though.

Edinburgh City: Famous for being the worst club ever to have been a Scottish Football League member, they went into mothballs from 1955 until 1986 when the old Edinburgh City social club agreed to "adopt" Postal United who were wanting to rid their "works team" association. Ironically, they soon after moved to Meadowbank Stadium after former works team Meadowbank Thistle moved to Livingston.

Gala Fairydean Rovers: Bunny hating borderers famous for the Wormesley Stand which some regard as a work of art & others as a monstrosity, & umpteen rejected applications to the Scottish league despite sometimes losing out to far poorer clubs.

Gretna: aka Gretna (2008) The escape capsule of the former SFL/SPL side one of whose best players right now ironically is named Wonga. Be warned, if you take an away day, you'll probably leave Raydale (still one of the last grounds with genuine charm to it) too fat to move, for the grub is second to none.

Preston Athletic : former Junior club turned senior that have surprisingly struggled at the new level when they were a very good East Of Scotland club.

Selkirk: will be forever haunted for losing 20-0 to Stirling Albion in the Scottish Cup by fielding a sham side to avoid having to scratch the tie. A surprise choice for the Lowland League, but even more surprising has been the speed with which the club has improved on & off the park ever since.

Spartans: Once known for their ruthless determination to enter the Scottish League, chairmen are still given a white cat to stroke at board meetings and access to a secret evil laboratory from which they will one day rule the world. They are famous for their youth academy which remains very popular with members of Slytherin.

Stirling University : Get disproportionate media coverage because their coach "is a burd".

Vale of Leithan: Famous for everyone mixing them up with Vale Of Leven (including Jeff Stelling on Sky Sports once) and for having a cat sitting on top of the managers dugouts during matches for a while.

Whitehill Welfare: Also known as "oh shit!" as often exclaimed when drawing them in any cup contest, including the big Scottish. Major overachievers for the size of their fanbase.

Thanks for the replies. It all helps to create a picture of what the LL is about.

As for me (will try and avoid this sounding like a dating site profile!). Live in Edinburgh, although grew up just outside Gretna (seen them play in both the FA Cup and Scottish Cup). Was a ST holder at Ibrox for a number of years but have become increasingly disillusioned with the 'big club' match day experience. In addition I now have a football mad 4 year old who participates in the Spartans Saturday morning sessions. It seemed logical to take him to see a game at Ainslie Park and when I did I remembered why I loved football so much. Sounds a bit corny bit it's true.

fucking knew you were a Spartans fan, glory hunter !!!! Still, dont worry, Grim will grow on you, a bit like a big boil on your arse

Gretna: aka Gretna (2008) The escape capsule of the former SFL/SPL side one of whose best players right now ironically is named Wonga. Be warned, if you take an away day, you'll probably leave Raydale (still one of the last grounds with genuine charm to it) too fat to move, for the grub is second to none.

Just f**k off.

And to edit, just f**k off.

fucking knew you were a Spartans fan, glory hunter !!!! Still, dont worry, Grim will grow on you, a bit like a big boil on your arse

Hark our resident Sherlock eamon Holmes indeed.

Like the boil on the arse analogy. I'll use that sometime in the future & claim it has my own,

Grimbo.

Hark our resident Sherlock eamon Holmes indeed.

Like the boil on the arse analogy. I'll use that sometime in the future & claim it has my own,

Grimbo.

loves ya reaaaaaallllyyyy big boy x

Ha ha Gloryhunter? If that was the case I should be supporting Edinburgh City surely? Sitting top and with a very good result in the Scottish the other week.

My affiliation with Spartans is first and foremost as my son is involved in their excellent community programmes.

Broomhill Sports Club: controversial addition accused by some of being a token Weegie club because they couldn't get any of the Juniors to join - ironically have to use a Juniors ground to play in (Maryhill's).

East Kilbride: even more controversial addition as owned by some dodgy businessmen with links to Fat Sally who ran up Cloudcuckooland schemes a decade back of taking over East Kilbride Thistle Juniors with promises of taking them into the Scottish league. No arguing with the set up they have in place though.

Edinburgh City: Famous for being the worst club ever to have been a Scottish Football League member, they went into mothballs from 1955 until 1986 when the old Edinburgh City social club agreed to "adopt" Postal United who were wanting to rid their "works team" association. Ironically, they soon after moved to Meadowbank Stadium after former works team Meadowbank Thistle moved to Livingston.

Gala Fairydean Rovers: Bunny hating borderers famous for the Wormesley Stand which some regard as a work of art & others as a monstrosity, & umpteen rejected applications to the Scottish league despite sometimes losing out to far poorer clubs.

Preston Athletic : former Junior club turned senior that have surprisingly struggled at the new level when they were a very good East Of Scotland club.

Selkirk: will be forever haunted for losing 20-0 to Stirling Albion in the Scottish Cup by fielding a sham side to avoid having to scratch the tie. A surprise choice for the Lowland League, but even more surprising has been the speed with which the club has improved on & off the park ever since.

Spartans: Once known for their ruthless determination to enter the Scottish League, chairmen are still given a white cat to stroke at board meetings and access to a secret evil laboratory from which they will one day rule the world. They are famous for their youth academy which remains very popular with members of Slytherin.

Stirling University : Get disproportionate media coverage because their coach "is a burd".

Vale of Leithan: Famous for everyone mixing them up with Vale Of Leven (including Jeff Stelling on Sky Sports once) and for having a cat sitting on top of the managers dugouts during matches for a while.

Whitehill Welfare: Also known as "oh shit!" as often exclaimed when drawing them in any cup contest, including the big Scottish. Major overachievers for the size of their fanbase.

The quality of your comment is inversely proportional to its political correctness..

Ha ha Gloryhunter? If that was the case I should be supporting Edinburgh City surely? Sitting top and with a very good result in the Scottish the other week.

My affiliation with Spartans is first and foremost as my son is involved in their excellent community programmes.

The words "gloryhunting" and "Edinburgh City" fit together as comfortably as the words "Grim O'Grady" and "10k run" or "Heedthebaa" and "Getting a round in"... :P

Archived