Scotland v Republic of Ireland

Lyle Lanley

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking forward to mingling with the real irish fans home and away. It will be a friendly party atmosphere but honestly If I see one scottish celtic fan ned in the away end singing songs about larsson I don't think I will be able to control myself

See tbh, in all my time supporting celtic I think I can count on one hand the amount of folk I've came across that give a flying f**k about the Irish national team. Bar the Irish ones of course

It's either Scotland or they don't give a f**k about international football

See tbh, in all my time supporting celtic I think I can count on one hand the amount of folk I've came across that give a flying f**k about the Irish national team. Bar the Irish ones of course

It's either Scotland or they don't give a f**k about international football

One mate actively supporting Ireland even though he's born and bred Scottish (Gallagher is his surname though so clearly has Irish family somewhere). Another mate to be fair does support Scotland, but has been known to purchase the odd Irish top. Absolutely desperate for both countries to qualify.

I get people have relatives and that and feel an affinity to a country, but I'm technically half Irish (Northern) and have never felt any urge to actively back them or sing their songs. I do wish them well though, especially with Niall McGinn in the team, but beyond looking out for their results I've no feeling either way for them.

Edited by La_Leyenda

I dont see any problem with someone having a soft spot or even support for another country , if they have a family link there.

Almost all 3rd 4th generation Asian ,Italian Scots dont support Scotland, They all support Italy , India, Pakistan etc.

Only bigots would be offended by this.

End of the day, nationality is a very personal thing and I think those that become enraged by those not identifying with Scotland to be worse than those who do it.

If your parents are Irish /Italian or whatever, there's a good chance you will identify as such and of you do then your kids might as well. We identify with what we are immersed in as kids and that varies family to family

Edited by paul-r-cfc

I dont see any problem with someone having a soft spot or even support for another country , if they have a family link there. Almost all 3rd 4th generation Asian ,Italian Scots dont support Scotland, They all support Italy , India, Pakistan etc. Only bigots would be offended by this.

End of the day, nationality is a very personal thing and I think those that become enraged by those not identifying with Scotland to be worse than those who do it.

If your parents are Irish /Italian or whatever, there's a good chance you will identify as such and of you do then your kids might as well. We identify with what we are immersed in as kids and that varies family to family

If i moved to Australia or Canada or Ireland and 40 years down the line had grandkids I would be buying them Scotland kits and encouraging them to support Scotland as well as the country of their birth.

However, my experience of these Irish supporting Scots ( and i admit this is based upon about 2 people in real life and various online WUMs) is that they tend to be thick wee neds who do it to be controversial and actively rub it in if scotland do badly or want Scotland to lose or equate Scotland with being the big bad prod establishment.

I think it is sad that these people exist but more sad that it seems to have encouraged a particular group of thickos to rise to these tiny minority of dicks and start all this anti "southern" ireland patter.

Just bought tickets, Jock Stein upper. They were £35 though whilst the other stands were £45. Never been to Celtic Park before, is there a reason for this? Shite view etc? :unsure:

There are pillars blocking your view in some places....and others have no actual seats..just the backs to the seats. Most folk will be standing all game anyway

There are pillars blocking your view in some places....and others have no actual seats..just the backs to the seats. Most folk will be standing all game anyway

I prefer standing at games anyway but if it is restricted view then that's pretty shit :(

I dont see any problem with someone having a soft spot or even support for another country , if they have a family link there.Almost all 3rd 4th generation Asian ,Italian Scots dont support Scotland, They all support Italy , India, Pakistan etc.Only bigots would be offended by this.

"Almost all"

Well colour me convinced.

I dont see any problem with someone having a soft spot or even support for another country , if they have a family link there. Almost all 3rd 4th generation Asian ,Italian Scots dont support Scotland, They all support Italy , India, Pakistan etc. Only bigots would be offended by this.

Yeah, i know a guy of Indian origin who supports Scotland even though he was born here. Fucking glory hunter.

The majority of people have a 3rd/4th generation link to another country but don't actively support them, its almost as if its to do with what club you support.