What Squad for November game

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bet it's a similar squad as this past one as doubt in just 2-3 weeks time things change much. Continuity will help us going into ROI match and against England get some other squad players some action as no doubt we'll pump them based on the infighting and p*sh performances they are putting in ;-)

November will be a big month for Scotland!

Phil Barsdley to be included I hope. Hutton - like I said before these games - is pish at defending. Looks an impressive athlete while maruading aimelessly down the touchline but is a bit of a liability. Not really too keen on Whittaker either tbh. Average.

The squad won't be (if any) different to the squad selected in the games just there. WGS seems to have his picks and will go with that. Fair enough.

The only player missing from this month's squad was Snodgrass - and it looks unlikely that we'll see him in a Scotland shirt this season.

I'd personally like to see Johnny Russell in the team - he adds a different dynamic and in my opinion is a better player than Burke who he could replace.

Asides from that, it's surely Tom Cairney's chance for a call up for 'experience'. Otherwise it'll be the same team again.

Below was the squad for the Georgia/Poland games. Barring injuries, I expect the squad to be exactly the same apart from the following marked changes in bold:

Goalkeepers
Matt Gilks (Burnley) - will drop out for McGregor
Craig Gordon (Celtic)
David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Defenders
Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town)
Craig Forsyth (Derby County)
Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion)
Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers)
Alan Hutton (Aston Villa)
Russell Martin (Norwich City)
Mark Reynolds (Aberdeen)
Andrew Robertson (Hull City)
Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders
Ikechi Anya (Watford)
Barry Bannan (Crystal Palace)
Scott Brown (Celtic)
Craig Bryson (Derby County)
Chris Burke (Nottingham Forest)
Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion)
Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)
Ryan Gauld (Sporting Clube de Portugal) - May drop out to give another young player experience
Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic)
James McArthur (Crystal Palace)
James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Forwards
Steven Fletcher (Sunderland)
Steven May (Sheffield Wednesday) - May drop out to give another young player experience
Chris Martin (Derby County)
Steven Naismith (Everton)

All in all, I expect there to be little change. Personally I would bring Bardsley into the squad in place of Forsyth, Cairney in place of Gauld and Rhodes ahead of Stevie May. Only other possible change would be to bring in a faster winger in place of Burke, perhaps Phillips or Forrest dependant on form.

Below was the squad for the Georgia/Poland games. Barring injuries, I expect the squad to be exactly the same apart from the following marked changes in bold:

Goalkeepers

Matt Gilks (Burnley) - will drop out for McGregor

Craig Gordon (Celtic)

Defenders

Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town)

Alan Hutton (Aston Villa)

Mark Reynolds (Aberdeen)

Andrew Robertson (Hull City)

Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders

Ikechi Anya (Watford)

Barry Bannan (Crystal Palace)

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Chris Burke (Nottingham Forest)

Ryan Gauld (Sporting Clube de Portugal) - May drop out to give another young player experience

James McArthur (Crystal Palace)

Forwards

Steven May (Sheffield Wednesday) - May drop out to give another young player experience

All in all, I expect there to be little change. Personally I would bring Bardsley into the squad in place of Forsyth, Cairney in place of Gauld and Rhodes ahead of Stevie May. Only other possible change would be to bring in a faster winger in place of Burke, perhaps Phillips or Forrest dependant on form.

Agree with this. Would be particularly useful to get a fit James Forrest in the squad as a second option for blistering pace. Played in the right system, he might just be another find for us.

Taking Forsyth out for Bardsley would mean we have 3 natural right backs in the squad (4 if you count Martin who plays there at club level) and 1 natural left back. (I know Bardsley and Whittaker play left back for us more often than not anyway). If all the players are fit, I think we'll see a similar squad next time to be honest. Rhodes for May is the obvious change, and you've got the likes of McCormack and Russell who are knocking at the door too. I suppose the ones you might see move out are guys like Burke, Gauld, Forsyth and Reynolds for other players who are likely to make up the numbers too.

Hutton had a stinker last night and I'm not a huge fan of him (quite lazy tracking back when he bombs up the pitch and often caught out of position)

However it is rare that he has a bad game for Scotland. Even when he wasnt getting a club game (and probably should have been dropped) he consistently churned out decent displays for us and on that basis he deserves to keep his place for the time being.

Different story if he starts having bad/ineffective games on a regular basis. I'm not confident Whittaker would do any better than him at right back over a prolonged period. That leaves Bardsley at present who I think would do a fine job and shown in past he is capable.

There is also a thought of moving Martin to right back and having Hanley and Greer in the centre but I don't think this is a good time to start dicking about with the centre halfs. At the moment the three in contention know their own role.

Keeper

Craig Gordon (Celtic)

Scott Fox (Partick Thistle)

Defender

Liam Palmer (Shefield Wednesday)

Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)

Phil Bardsley (Stokes City)

Andrew Roberston (Hull City)

Christophe Berra ( Ipswich Town)

Midfielder:

Ikechi Anya (Watford)
Scott Brown (Celtic)
Robert Snodgrass (Hull City)

Gary Harkins (Dundee)

Tom Cairney (Blackburn Rover)

Striker

Robbie Muirhead (Kilmarnock)

Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rover)

Phil Barsdley to be included I hope. Hutton - like I said before these games - is pish at defending. Looks an impressive athlete while maruading aimelessly down the touchline but is a bit of a liability. Not really too keen on Whittaker either tbh. Average.

The squad won't be (if any) different to the squad selected in the games just there. WGS seems to have his picks and will go with that. Fair enough.

I`m not a big fan of Whittaker but i thought he was excellent last night TBH.

As others have said I don`t see many changes. Mulgrew likely to come back and McGregor if fit.

Keeper

Craig Gordon (Celtic)

Scott Fox (Partick Thistle)

Defender

Liam Palmer (Shefield Wednesday)

Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)

Phil Bardsley (Stokes City)