The luck of the Irish.

McCarthy played for Accies the season they were promoted, and left at the end of the year.

He's also played in far more difficult and hostile places than in front of the cuddly Tartan Army lads at Parkhead.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think playing at Parkhead will be particularly helpful for Ireland even though a few of their players are familiar with it, footballers play in hundreds of stadiums throughout their careers it doesn't make a huge difference if they have played somewhere before or not.

As for atmosphere.. can't see Ireland being particularly intimidated for similiar reasons as above but there will be 50,000 Scotland fans roaring on their team which will certainly motivate Scotland.

Think we are pretty evenly matched teams at the moment but confident Scotland can win it :thumsup2

McCarthy played for Accies the season they were promoted, and left at the end of the year.

He's also played in far more difficult and hostile places than in front of the cuddly Tartan Army lads at Parkhead.

its 3000 last I heard .but they were still negotiating ...cos we'll be wanting about 10'000 for over there.

According to Wiki he left Accies in 09. Accies were promoted in 08.

Is that wrong?

Don't think it is, I'm sure I seen him and McArthur playing against us in the SPL.

I remember us playing against McArthur in the SPL, But i seem to remember McCarthy being snapped up by wigan immediately after promotion

I remember us playing against McArthur in the SPL, But i seem to remember McCarthy being snapped up by wigan immediately after promotion

Nope. Him, Easton and McArthur were part of their first season side. And Richard Offiong. :lol:

McCarthy won SPL young player of the month awards and played 33 times and scored 6 goals according to bleacher report but I am sure any of the Hammies can confirm and has played at Celtic Park.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/scotland-make-play-hamilton-whiz-mccarthy-204116#.VD_aK2NGWGM

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/vennegoor-injury-mars-celtics-stroll-26482443.html

Thought that late goal would come back to haunt us,my nephew talked me round though and says we have all to play for.

Still think the Georgians need to step up to the mark and at least take points at home and maybe draw

Same goes for Ireland and Poland and if we manage anything like a win in Dublin and at home we should be laughing

Who knows what will happen its not as if the Irish are unstoppable think Poland had real world class players.

Irish have got good BPL class players like we do all be it probably playing with better clubs such as Everton

Were we only have Steven Naismith starting for them were as they have Coleman McCarthey and McGeady

Ultimately if we take four points minimum from them, it cancels out their gain v Germany. While it's far from guaranteed that we'll do so, we are capable of beating them twice. Very similar in terms of the standard of squads, but we have a vastly, vastly superior manager to utilise that squad.

We have to ignore what the others are doing against Germany and focus on winning our own games. It's a massive task but we're capable of finishing on more than 20 points, and if we do so we'll qualify.

Ultimately if we take four points minimum from them, it cancels out their gain v Germany. While it's far from guaranteed that we'll do so, we are capable of beating them twice. Very similar in terms of the standard of squads, but we have a vastly, vastly superior manager to utilise that squad.

We have to ignore what the others are doing against Germany and focus on winning our own games. It's a massive task but we're capable of finishing on more than 20 points, and if we do so we'll qualify.

Have they Strachan took them to the last 16 in the champions league twice O Neil never

Have they Strachan took them to the last 16 in the champions league twice O Neil never

That's precisely what he's saying - that Strachan is superior to O'Neill.

Why is it that so many posters on Scotland threads are incapable of reading, or writing properly, or of remembering stuff properly, or of offering any kind of grown up analysis.

Plenty of good posters of course, but a staggering number also, of total wallopers.

That's precisely what he's saying - that Strachan is superior to O'Neill. Why is it that so many posters on Scotland threads are incapable of reading, or writing properly, or of remembering stuff properly, or of offering any kind of grown up analysis. Plenty of good posters of course, but a staggering number also, of total wallopers.

I take it this is your first encounter with Dryhorce.

It's a not very amusing alias.

I take it this is your first encounter with Dryhorce.

It's a not very amusing alias.

Almost. I sort of saw the ban thing, but didn't really get it.

The phenomenon extends beyond him though.

As I said there are plenty of good posters on this part of the site, but I've not seen such a high concentration of clueless wee boys on any other part of the forum either.

That's precisely what he's saying - that Strachan is superior to O'Neill.

Why is it that so many posters on Scotland threads are incapable of reading, or writing properly, or of remembering stuff properly, or of offering any kind of grown up analysis.

Plenty of good posters of course, but a staggering number also, of total wallopers.

You should read the Tartan Army Message Board. Soul-destroying stuff. It reads as if it was written in crayon. Sadly the P&B TA forum has degenerated so far that it's almost as bad. I used to think they were completely unrepresentative of the Scotland support, but when I made the mistake of buying a season ticket for the last WC qualifying campaign I ended up sitting beside some beered-up yokels at the Serbia game who spent most of the match berating James Morrison for being an 'English c*nt.' Then they turned on me, accusing me of being related to 'Charlie Fucking Adam' for no discernible reason. 'You must be Charlie Fucking Adam's fucking brither, Ken?' Establishing that I was neither called Ken, nor related to Charlie Fucking Adam, nor indeed an 'English c*nt' was an unwelcome distraction from the game. So much so that I gave my tickets for the remaining fixtures away and watched the matches on TV.

Makes me laugh reading that starting 11 and thinking of all the people saying Scotland are miles ahead of Ireland. You couldn't really find two teams more evenly matched than Ireland and Scotland. Both at a pretty decent if unspectacular level, with middle ranking Premiership and top end Championship players the general theme.

If I was to make a distinction I'd say Scotland have superior depth in most positions, but Ireland have two or three stand out players. Which one ends up being more important is anyone's guess, but for fans of Ireland or Scotland to claim are far superior is a fucking laugh.

Interesting concept. In your book does being from a particular country mean being born there or your family being from there? If you have to be born in a country to be that nationality (which I assume you agree with as you claim Mcgeady and McCarthy are Scottish), let's look at how many "Scottish" goals Scotland have scored.

Germany - Ikechi Anya (born in Scotland to non-Scottish parents, therefore Scottish) scores after an assist from Steven Fletcher (born outside Scotland to 50% non-Scottish family, therefore not Scottish). Conclusion = not a fully Scottish goal.

Georgia - Andrew Robertson (completely Lex-approved Scottish) crosses the ball and it lands at the feet of Shaun Maloney (born outside of Scotland to Scottish parents, therefore not Scottish) who scores. Conclusion = not a fully Scottish goal.

Poland 1 - Steven Fletcher (already confirmed as not Scottish) crosses for Maloney (already confirmed as not Scottish) to score. Conclusion = not a Scottish goal at all.

Poland 2 - Shaun Maloney (already confirmed as not Scottish) swings in a free kick which is knocked in by Steven Naismith (100% Lex-approved Scottish). Conclusion = not a fully Scottish goal.

There you have it, Scotland truly are one of the biggest bin rakers in world football. Here was me thinking it's great how the land of my birth have started so well in the Euro 2016 qualifiers, but after realising they haven't scored one single goal without the help of foreigners it feels a bit hollow now. At least we aren't as bad as Bosnia, who IIRC correctly had a World Cup squad that's 90% un-Bosnian in the Lex nationality test. Shameful.

I'd say where you were raised / lived for most of your life is more important than being born somewhere. McGeady and McCarthy aren't Irish. Maloney and Fletcher both moved to Scotland as children. It's verging on racism/horrible ethnic nationalism to say Maloney and Fletcher can't be Scottish or that McGeady and McCarthy are Irish.

You can be more than one nationality, you can't just say you're a certain nationality when you blatantly aren't.

James McCarthy played a full season for us in the SPL 2008/2009, moving on in the summer, so injury aside I'm fairly sure he played at Celtic Park.

McArthur left a year later, for those who care :P

That's precisely what he's saying - that Strachan is superior to O'Neill. Why is it that so many posters on Scotland threads are incapable of reading, or writing properly, or of remembering stuff properly, or of offering any kind of grown up analysis. Plenty of good posters of course, but a staggering number also, of total wallopers.

Do you know you can edit mistakes on here,he said they now he has changed it to we :angel

And yet, the version you quote above your response says "we" and there's no sign of the post in question having been edited.

Why would there be a sign you can scrub out stuff here

I know exactly what I read and responded to

Archived