Tartan Army - Good Guys or Wanks?

Tartan Army  

254 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After the 3-1 Prague game a few years ago we left the stadium and there was huge guard of honour where loads of Czech kids lined up and were high fiving us and shaking our hands. It was a very proud feeling.

Also this happened at Hampden a few years ago after the Holland game,

Other countries seem to love us.It must be the Scottish gene kicking in when we have to talk ourselves and each other down. We can't have anything good and ever enjoy it. I think i'll name that the 55% gene :P .

That sounds cringey as hell tbh.

Have never really been sure what "tartan army" constitutes tbh - is it all Scotland fans, folk that go to away games, members of the supporters club? :wacko:

Anyhoo, every support has it share of wanks.

Have never really been sure what "tartan army" constitutes tbh - is it all Scotland fans, folk that go to away games, members of the supporters club? :wacko:

Aye it's very cringey but our away support is highly praised all over the world ...apart from here :).

I think if you go to an away game you are part of the Tartan Army. You don't need to sign up to any club, wear a kilt, pour bubbles into the local fountains.

I would never regard myself as a foot soldier , that would be the cringiest thing ever.

Similar to every other sort of football crowd but on holiday, drinking more than usual and a stronger degree of self-policing to keep the wanks under control

Can't say I've seen much of this much heralded "self policing" in action.

I was in Slovenia when the "foot soldiers" were in their usual state of pissed bawbaggery and saw no self-policing going on there, as locals tried to go about their business whilst being harangued by these "japesters".

I've seen it a few times on various trips. A tube starts to get aggressive and out of order and his pals calm him down, presumably mindful of the 'friendly fans' tag.

Having said that I've also seen lots of 'japester' behaviour that verges towards the sexpest.

As I said good guys or wanks? Both

I've seen it a few times on various trips. A tube starts to get aggressive and out of order and his pals calm him down, presumably mindful of the 'friendly fans' tag.

Having said that I've also seen lots of 'japester' behaviour that verges towards the sexpest.

Never saw one bit of bother on the tube in my puff and been attending matches for over twenty years

Unless you call drunken sing songs bother well maybe if your a local from Queens Park who hate these days

Everybody else that does not seem a problem for and even the shop keepers must make a mint on these days

Yeah, I suppose that's where I'm coming from. I can see it more in the "starting a fight" context, but there certainly isn't any reining in of the groping sex pest and sprawling drunk in the street element of the arsehole TA, that seems to be celebrated more than frowned upon.

There is a balance here. Once certain elements start to take the 'famous tartan army ' bit too seriously then they veer toward 'wanky'. Most guys are good , up for a beer, bit of a laugh etc. Very little extreme misbehaving.

One element I don't like though is the creeping politics (Yes banners etc). It will be interesting to see if we can revert to going to see Scotland without the referendum backlash entering the fray.

For me football is for football. Drinks, chat, laughs etc.

Leave the politics at home . The OF are a glaring example of where you end up if you let this build up.

If that does happen then this will be my last campaign as I don't want my football spoiled. I'm sure others will see it as an opportunity to make a point. That will be a shame.

Overall I have had some great trips including Italia 90 and France 98 as well as Switzerland , Portugal, Holland, Wales & Wembley 77. Lets hope there's more to come.

There is a balance here. Once certain elements start to take the 'famous tartan army ' bit too seriously then they veer toward 'wanky'. Most guys are good , up for a beer, bit of a laugh etc. Very little extreme misbehaving.

One element I don't like though is the creeping politics (Yes banners etc). It will be interesting to see if we can revert to going to see Scotland without the referendum backlash entering the fray.

For me football is for football. Drinks, chat, laughs etc.

Leave the politics at home . The OF are a glaring example of where you end up if you let this build up.

If that does happen then this will be my last campaign as I don't want my football spoiled. I'm sure others will see it as an opportunity to make a point. That will be a shame.

Overall I have had some great trips including Italia 90 and France 98 as well as Switzerland , Portugal, Holland, Wales & Wembley 77. Lets hope there's more to come.

Banners work both ways so your trying to say the waving of better together banners at the commonwealth games was not political?

And normal Scots with there flag getting ejected on camera for simply flying there saltire was expectable?

You lot are the last people to be taking the moral high ground after what went on here in Glasgow that is for sure

I haven't been to an away Scotland game since the 90's, maybe it's different there, but i doubt it.

At the home games I've been to though, it seems that there are large swathes of day tripping teuchtars who are on their big day out in Glasgow. They don't seem to have much grasp of football and seem intent on getting tanked up and singing about how much they hate England.

Wanks.

Like I said already its not some sort of exclusive club, I wouldnt class myself as Tartan Army its just the name that gets given to people who support the national team (to any extent so 90 percent of Scotland).

Its a name for football fans, like Arbroath fans get called Lichties or Hibs fans get called the Hibees.

Utter wanks.

"Foot soldiers"

"On manoeuvres".

Wanks.

Can't say I've seen much of this much heralded "self policing" in action.

I was in Slovenia when the "foot soldiers" were in their usual state of pissed bawbaggery and saw no self-policing going on there, as locals tried to go about their business whilst being harangued by these "japesters".

Think I speak for most people when I say bore off you whinging b*****d, first you were all over the referendum forum saying you didnt care and now all you are doing on here is slating Scotland.

Sad case.

I haven't been to an away Scotland game since the 90's, maybe it's different there, but i doubt it.

At the home games I've been to though, it seems that there are large swathes of day tripping teuchtars who are on their big day out in Glasgow. They don't seem to have much grasp of football and seem intent on getting tanked up and singing about how much they hate England.

Wanks.

Day tripping teuchters... how do you know this or are you just generalising?

Dont seem to have much grasp on football.... do you get into a talk over football tactics and formations with all them do you or are you to good for that being a football know it all yersel?

Singing about how much they hate England..... the only song that ive heard getting sung at any game ive ever been to about England is the Diego Maradona one which comes out every so often, big deal with that?

Again you seem to have a massive problem with Scotland and Scotland fans? Do you never just think to yourself maybe Scotland fans are Scottish people who like football (makes sense supporting Scotland) and that are blokes (who like drinking and singing football songs) and people that enjoy a day out on the drink (like 90 percent of people man or woman football related or not on the planet?)

No?

Notice it seems to be the usual suspects on the political pages that seem to have the problem with the T.A?

And low a behold they were proud no voters in the big referendum?

Any form of social gathering of like minded yes voters they detest?

Same mind sets that hundred of years ago would not let more than two people gathr round a fire

Proud to be Scottish proud of our fans and there good human actions

Have to laugh at the nawbags and there hate fuelled posts in here to

Gets a life FFS

Put me in the most guys are good guys but the blind drunk, flashing, please love us, whas like us mob are dicks category.

It's what percentage are good guys that's the problem.

I think it's more of an issue "on manoeuvres". I never found the home games so bad, but away games were a complete nightmare.

How many seething people in here are not actually Scottish?

And jealous that you have never won the best fans award like us and the Irish?

Scotland has actually won two awards France 98 and Sweden 92

And yet somebody manages to put this crap up,why we even biting?

My advice from now on is not to feed the trolls :lol: