Turriff United vs Clyde

Karpaty

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing much to add that is significant, all round good solid display. Perhaps its just me/us, but what we've landed from HL of late is chronically poor. In the past Huntly and Fraserburgh gave you the fear, good sides backed by what seemed like the whole town. That was was seperated them from the Threave Rovers and Whitehill Welfares of the EoS and Galas etc of the South. That match might as well have been played on a public park with three men and a dug watching, not what the Cup or prospective progress through leagues is meant to be about. Also noticed no Castlemlk bus...a sign if ever another one was needed just how bad things have gotten. The rumours appear to be true then.

Great allround performance yesterday. Dominated the whole game and could have scored more. Great travelling support from Clyde Fans given that it was a trek and a half. New Goalkeeper looks really competent and the midfield look really good with David Gray and Stephen O'Donnell in particular were outstanding yesterday. Scott Durie keeps improving and had his best game in a Clyde Jersey to date.

Refreshing to see and Hear Clyde fans supporting the team throughout the game and not one (theres only one John Sweeney) to be heard. Hope thats the end of all that garbage. Hope we kick on from that performance yesterday and like last year its a much better place to be when everyone is pulling in the same direction. Mone the Clyde.

Let's just put our performance into perspective; Turriff were exceptionally poor. Their entire game-plan seemed to consist of sitting deep and punting the ball up to some lump named Harris. Once they tired after the initial 15 minutes of effort closing our midfield down then we found holes fairly easily but the ball didn't stick particularly well with McManus/Watt in the first half. One outstanding, incisive break ended with Smith being clattered in the box for a blatant penalty that the referee somehow missed. Their centre half clattered a shot against his own bar, whilst the goal came from an O'Donnell free-kick that Smith knocked down for Watt. Fortunately the striker chose to head the ball as he'd not been able to stop himself falling over throughout the half, including a comical miss from a McIllduff cross. Only down-point was the loss of the excellent Halkett through injury; the Clyde players seemed aggrieved by the tackle but it looked a fair enough challenge from my angle. McQueen looked obviously nervous early on but settled into the game well and hopefully that'll benefit him in the long term.

The second half was an improvement as the ball started to stick up front, aided by Watt's change of footwear. There were again chances, with Gray's powerful free kick well saved and the rebound just eluded both strikers. The second goal was a cracker, starting with McQueen's composure in pulling the ball down on his chest and ended with Smith's superb lay-off to McManus which the striker smashed across the goalkeeper into the far corner.

After the second goal they lost the plot and started hacking players down all over the place. Had a couple of decent chances but the carthorse they brought on up front missed the best one with a lob that went high and wide. We could have netted any number of the break but only added one more, with Sinclair's superb long pass releasing Ferguson, a cheeky back heel to Gibson and a return pass, with dummy by McManus, to Ferguson that was dispatched into the net.

Quite simply, we were quicker, sharper, fitter and stronger in every position. I've no idea what HL chairmen think they're getting for their money but a lack of fitness is simply inexcusable.

Big difference for me was the inclusion of Gray in midfield and the change back to a front two. Gray kept the ball moving and retains possession well in tight areas and with Durie's attacking instinct we don't particularly need a winger on that side. Smith is looking like a terrific signing as his full-time fitness means he provides at attacking threat as well as defensive cover. McManus can't play on his own up top particularly well but having someone else up there helps him. At pitch level you can also see why Durie is liked as he talks for the full game, as does Frances and O'Donnell. Good to see Ferguson dropped as he's been very poor in recent games and probably needed that rest. Shouldn't get back in the team next week either.

Looks like the occasion's got to Turriff. Too easy.

Cruising 3-0 up. These Highland League teams aren't up to much.
Highland League :lol:
Why do we even let these teams participate in the cup?
They were worse than Gala
Only shows why these carbuncle towns should never be allowed in the seniors. If this mob are one of the top highlands leagues teams - Jesus Christ.

Magnanimous as always gentlemen. Turriff have given you your best result of the season so appreciation rather than disdain would be mor appropriate. Let's hope the upper tier teams in the SPFL are a bit kinder to the Div 1/2 teams.

Great day out and Headache to confirm,Team done a proffesional job and clearly one of these games we get no praise for winning but should we have came down the road with anything else this forum would have beem on usual meltdown

After leaving home at 745am yesterday and not returning till following day obviously worse for wear i hope the next round is favourable to us with either a home tie or Edinburgh City Away for marriage and Liver/Health reasons to name just but a few

Met few Ayr lads on train home aswell and proper salt of the earth fitba guys who would also spend ridiclious amount of money and travelling time for love of their club something others just dont appreicate

Foreva n Eva

Magnanimous as always gentlemen. Turriff have given you your best result of the season so appreciation rather than disdain would be mor appropriate. Let's hope the upper tier teams in the SPFL are a bit kinder to the Div 1/2 teams.

I could pull a team out of my work which would have given any of the four teams we have faced last 3 years from non-league (a status which has been dropped, apparently) more than a game. For what its worth, as ssb points out most of us didnt see daylight either leaving or returning home yesterday for a match which tells us absolutely nothing about how we are shaping up other than through to.the next round. We can call them crap if we want, and the cuddly-toy establishment that has swamped the Cup with garbage like this can kid on they are doing the country a favour all they like, it won't make anyone or anything any better. Should be a maximun of ten NON LEAGUE sides in the first round along with us 3rd div sides in first round, with the second division sides joining the winners in the second, with those ten winners joining the other 22 in the traditional third round in January. At least the Non Leaguers would have to ork for the chance to injure players on less than a fifth of what they get for playing the same match.

So we're not allowed to have an opinion....ok....

Also, Queens Park played Gretna yesterday, perhaps you should go there rather than being raging with us all the time. Just a thought....

I genuinely believe you don't see the irony in that statement.

You would believe wrong. It's the same shite that's spouted by QP fans when Clyde fans troll your threads. Frankly put, I couldn't give a shit about Queens Park or any match you play other than when we play you, so I don't see why you give a shit and use your time posting about our match. It's quite sad really.

You would believe wrong. It's the same shite that's spouted by QP fans when Clyde fans troll your threads. Frankly put, I couldn't give a shit about Queens Park or any match you play other than when we play you, so I don't see why you give a shit and use your time posting about our match. It's quite sad really.

Aye, you don't seem bothered at all.

Anyway, missed going up after the shitest week on a personal level but was pleasantly surprised with the margin of victory. Hopefully we will kick on as we did last year after the cup tie and start climbing the league.

Archived