Gretna 2008 v Queen's Park 1867

Hampden Diehard

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a small (but larger than this effort) pitchy when we scored our 120th minute equaliser in the Challenge Cup final against Queen of the South two years ago and as far as I know nothing ever came of it.

Queens vastly overdoing it here I think.

Did anything happen to either club last year following the scenes at Preston ? The lad who skidded and went on his bahook was clear as day.

QP were pulled up about it by the SFA; don't know if Preston were.

Bottom line is, you can't run on the park or your club face a potential charge from the SFA. The wee invasion added to the enjoyment of the day, without doubt, and there was no harm done, but the football authorities look at these things differently. It's daft, and symptomatic of the nonsense that today's PC and health & safety culture is foisting upon us, but this is now the world that we live in. Only last year, we weren't allowed to show a 6 x 4 flag at Broadwood because it didn't have a fire certificate. I've never seen a flag self-combust, but we have to comply with this nonsense, like it or not.

Bottom line is, you can't run on the park or your club face a potential charge from the SFA. The wee invasion added to the enjoyment of the day, without doubt, and there was no harm done, but the football authorities look at these things differently. It's daft, and symptomatic of the nonsense that today's PC and health & safety culture is foisting upon us, but this is now the world that we live in. Only last year, we weren't allowed to show a 6 x 4 flag at Broadwood because it didn't have a fire certificate. I've never seen a flag self-combust, but we have to comply with this nonsense, like it or not.

You have my sympathies with the flag. I'm actually tempted to knock up some bollocks as a certificate and see their reaction as I am willing to wager they have no idea what a genuine one looks like.

IF the club has been pulled up, I don't think many people would bother about the club raising the issue. It's the manner in which the "issue" has been raised that has been disgraceful. These guys who celebrated at Gretna have followed the Queen's Park through the worst spell in a lifetime and the club saw fit to publicly call them up to the headmasters office. It's not difficult to know who our fans are, there's not that many of us. All it would have required was to quietly say to a couple of people "Look, we know it's a shite rule but we've been pulled up....."

If I'm being honest, I really don't think that the person who wrote the statement actually understands football. They might understand the general rules and some of the more tedious administrative points, but it doesn't strike me that they actually understand the buzz of a last minute winner and general range of emotions that the average punter feels at a football match. Speaking of combustion, it's lucky that self-importance isn't combustable. Blazers all across Scottish football would be in grave danger.

You have my sympathies with the flag. I'm actually tempted to knock up some bollocks as a certificate and see their reaction as I am willing to wager they have no idea what a genuine one looks

like.

Good idea, should have made the certificate 8x4.

QP worried about being pulled up for something but not having the brains to realise we are even more likely to get pulled up for something after making a public statement about it on our own website

QP worried about being pulled up for something but not having the brains to realise we are even more likely to get pulled up for something after making a public statement about it on our own website

That's based on your own assumption, tbf. Is it possible the referee told them he'd include it in his report, for example? That's what happened with Berwick and the flare last season, IIRC, it wasn't just the club going overboard off their own bat.

That's based on your own assumption, tbf.

It's not, It's based on fact, tbf.

I'm not saying the match official won't mention it in his report but Queen's haven't been notified of anything at this stage.

That's based on your own assumption, tbf. Is it possible the referee told them he'd include it in his report, for example? That's what happened with Berwick and the flare last season, IIRC, it wasn't just the club going overboard off their own bat.

Referees are obliged to include any incursion into the playing area in the match report. It's a FIFA directive. I thought at first most fans had kept behind the line but there is one fan well into the playing area and that would be enough for the referee. Sadly, we are now going to have to black bag that wee soul just to protect the integrity of our club. Nah, only kidding!

The club are tied as HD said but maybe a wee bit more thought and consideration for the fans would have been appropriate. I seriously hope this doesn't go sour for Gretna either. If there's any blazer at Gretna with an issue about the Wee Bar this would be the perfect excuse for getting it closed.

BTW, I think it was an OG :unsure:

. If there's any blazer at Gretna with an issue about the Wee Bar this would be the perfect excuse for getting it closed.

BTW, I think it was an OG :unsure:

No blazers at Gretna, it's the fans that run the club. ;)

I hope common sense prevails and nothing will come of the incident. It's because of the times like those that we keep coming back to put up with hours of the mundane stuff.

Remember the deadline hasn't passed yet Spider!

I believe the club have also stated that they will make no distinction between the people who responsible for the events; and those who harbour them.

If the linesman was in the middle of the group hug its likely the refs report would include that. Presumably the linesman at that end wasnt Fraser Marr ?

You presume correctly...the big man would have been hugging us back

Archived