Gretna 2008 v Queen's Park 1867

Hampden Diehard

The game's always about embracing a diversity of opinions - mine is that by bringing Quinn on for McPherson and replacing Burns (a wide player) with Fraser (a supporting central player), Gus did exactly that, and no coincidence that by those two keeping both central defenders more occupied than McPherson's lonely ploughed furrow had been doing, that then left Miller much more time and space to fire home the winner from a central position ................discuss[/quote

Diverse opinion expected, respected and needed. Thanks for the invite.

Quinn for McPherson was a straight swap, as was Mitchell for Rooney. Fraser was out wide right as much as anywhere. The tactics didn't change either way. Lots of flanking and balls into the middle. The only difference was that in the first it was predominantly down the left and conversely the right in the second. The end product was the same though; under hit crosses falling to the front of the goal and usually too close to goal. Gretna virtually packed the six yard box in the first and there was a few occasions where a cutback to midfield would have been a better option.

I can't credit the goal to tactics The Spider. If it were that we would have seen chances from that area before but it was all down the wings. Miller is very good at getting space in that area and held back as the Gretna players ran into the box. It was exactly the scenario I was describing above. And a superb piece of solo skill to finish with.

With such a dominance in the first without really testing the goalie I was expecting a change of direction in the second but we played the wing game again and got the same results, until Mr Miller stepped up.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take it that it was Freddy. Could someone not have been able to intervene and explain? It's a shame particularly as our usual drunks ran onto the pitch and nothing happened to them.

It was Freddy. Didn't see the incident but heard him complaining to some fans outside the ground right after the whistle.

With a liberal sprinkling of relief. Other club fans saying the Magic of the Cup has gone. Given the last time I saw such " exuberance" was at Prestonpans they're clearly following the wrong team :lol:

Not in the cup but I'll never forget the scenes at Ayr when we beat them 3 2? in the league. But then again at Firhill when we beat Aberdeen.

Number ten took a bit of banter from the sidelines, wow, that's just normal, he was out of order when QP scored

Aye celebrate, even have a wee fist pump in the direction of the hame fans but byf he milked it big time, way over

The top.

Ach, if people want to give a player stick, then they shouldn't be crying their eyes out when he gives it back to them. If you're big enough to dish it out, then you're big enough to take it.

It was probably the Annan casuals anyway, trying to wind up our players and get them to react and get sent off. They're an evil crowd!!

Great wee day out...even allowing for the frustration of waiting for the last minute winner. Excellent set-up at Gretna and very welcoming; just the way football should be. Bit of a shame that QoS were playing Hearts just up the road to affect the attendance.

It's a shame particularly as our usual drunks ran onto the pitch and nothing happened to them.

Not exactly true. I pulled a hammy trying to get over the wall so didn’t quite make it on ;)

Re players gesturing to crowds etc. Does it really matter? The Gretna left back and centre half both spent a fair bit of the 2nd half doing w****r signs and grabbing their baws in the direction of the away support. As HD says If you dish it out then you can take it back and I took great pleasure in giving it back to them after the winning goal. It’s a senior football match not a church outing

Thanks to everyone at Gretna for the hospitality. From the Gretna Inn to the Wee Bar in the ground. It was the brilliant day out that we expected it to be .Of course winning always helps

Ach, if people want to give a player stick, then they shouldn't be crying their eyes out when he gives it back to them. If you're big enough to dish it out, then you're big enough to take it.

It was probably the Annan casuals anyway, trying to wind up our players and get them to react and get sent off. They're an evil crowd!!

Great wee day out...even allowing for the frustration of waiting for the last minute winner. Excellent set-up at Gretna and very welcoming; just the way football should be. Bit of a shame that QoS were playing Hearts just up the road to affect the attendance.

Lol aye ok it was us...me, I thought it was quite funny especially when he was doing the Schwarzenegger am pumped pose

Thanks to everyone at Gretna for the hospitality. From the Gretna Inn to the Wee Bar in the ground. It was the brilliant day out that we expected it to be .Of course winning always helps

Respect to the people of Gretna for what they have achieved since the old version was liquidated. A great example to other fans as to how act when the worst happens. To have raised the money to buy back the stadium is nothing short of brilliant.

Respect to the people of Gretna for what they have achieved since the old version was liquidated. A great example to other fans as to how act when the worst happens. To have raised the money to buy back the stadium is nothing short of brilliant.

Couldn't agree more, they seem to have a great setup down there. The minimal stewarding and the ability to have a pint at half-time is something that should be a regular feature at lower league football. There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be.

Cheers for all your comments and I am glad that you all enjoyed your day. It was a pleasure having so many of you down. The minimal stewarding goes hand in hand with the behaviour of the support that is being catered for and the support from Glasgow was a credit to Queen's Park. The whole day seemed to be pass trouble free apart from the one minor incident already mentioned which I cannot comment on as I didn't see it.

Since we opened our bar at the start of last season, we have had no trouble at all and I see no reason why lower league grounds shouldn't be able to follow suit. It is also a valuable source of revenue for the club.

We would love to have you back down one day, in an SPFL 2 match of course ^_^

Aye couldn't agree more on a half time pint, it would boost the crowds at annan if you go into the bar at half time. Pie and chips with a knife and fork for your prematch meal...o the joys. And dare I say it it was as cheap as chips tae. Good club Gretna great lads good wee bar good set up

Archived