Arbroath vs Montrose

Lichtie78

I assume this is the post where you told us about your previous engagement?

Forgive me for being unable to understand that you were referring to yourself. Missing out words tends to destroy the meaning of what you're trying to say.

So, you're convinced that the game should be played on Saturday, even though you can't make it either? :1eye

Oh I must improve my grammer :angel

In my lifetime I have missed much more important things than a football match due to work, I survived

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm rather confused by this whole thing from top to bottom to be honest....

The fact of the matter is, we had a game arranged for this Saturday away to Annan in the league, on the same day as Scotland are playing. A lot of our fans, and I suspect a good few Montrose fans (with their game being scheduled as Berwick away) decided to buy tickets to see Scotland v Georgia at Ibrox instead of attending the league game, which is perfectly understandable for a whole host of reasons. The fact is though that the Scotland game was chosen as priority over the Arbroath game, again understandable and obviously there is no issue with that whatsoever.

What I don't fully understand is that now instead of Annan away, we play Montrose away, and we have a whole host of unhappy fans who're missing this game. For me, fans were already missing a game to watch Scotland play instead..... the situation has changed and now...... the same fans will miss an Arbroath game to watch Scotland..... is that not exactly the same position as everyone was in for the Annan game?! If we had no game scheduled for this Saturday, and therefore no clash with the Scotland game and this was changed (for Montrose away, Annan away, whatever) then I would see this as being completely unacceptable, as fans would have booked tickets to watch Scotland knowing they wouldn't miss an Arbroath game, and now they would. This isn't the case though, we had a game that people were going to miss, and we still have game that people are going to miss, no?

I understand gripes that we have a game scheduled for the same day as an international, and personally think we would be better having the scheduled fixtures for international weekends like this played on Sundays (which has been done previously). Therefore fans of both their club team and the national team wouldn't have to choose between them, and everyone wins.

What I really don't understand in the slightest is why the clubs agreed to schedule this replay for the Saturday and give themselves, and their fans, long away trips midweek with little notice (both games re-scheduled within 2 weeks of the cancellation of this Saturdays game.... to attend, people need to save money/ get time off work, which at this short notice can be difficult....), not to mention the difficulty of travelling 150 odd miles to a midweek match..... not even factoring in getting back up the road!!

My understanding would be that this has been done as the clubs expect a bigger crowd for a Saturday game than a Tuesday/ Wednesday midweek replay. Considering the crowd will be 100 + down on Saturday due to the Scotland game, I would equate this to how much the crowd would be down if the game was played midweek.... so either this Saturday or in midweek the crowd would have been fairly similiar, so financially there is no difference between the two in my opinion. This leads me to question why we're making fans travel down to Annan midweek (and the same for Montrose fans down to Berwick) when this was easily avoided at no financial loss to either club.

In my opinion the people who lose out the most here at those who were planning to go to Berwick/ Annan this Saturday and are now still planning to attend the game midweek at considerable cost, a situation that could and should have been avoided for a variety of reasons.

Why dont Montrose and Arbroath request the game gets put back until Sunday? That way fans can attend the Scotland game and get back in time to watch the cup game on the Sunday. Seems rather daft if they havent asked for this already.

From speaking to a few people a week before the first game and hearing that the replay was scheduled for 2pm this Saturday I asked the question why? One of the main reasons given was from both clubs to allow west coast based players and those working in Aberdeen / Dyce the chance to rest up properly for the tie instead of coming straight from work to play a potentially lucrative tie, in that the winner then has the chance to carry on progress in the cup providing they beat the opposition.

The club's also sought advice from the local police and they indicated that they would rather have the game played on the Saturday instead of mid-week.

I'm going through to this. I'm a bit torn though, a few mates play for Arbroath but I've a soft spot for Montrose. Basically, bidding starts at £2 for my support, commence.

We gave you Boyler and he absolutely hates the DAB's surely that is reason enough?

Well said Simon.

Comparing football to rugby Ecto? Deary me.

Simon is in fact right and the my comparing Football and Rugby (terrible game though) is spot on

And here's the clincher, we gave/sold you The Flying Dutchman Ivo Den Bieman

he was a player, but he was not a better player than Tosher, but then again neither of them were as good as John Fletcher

Archived