Vers v Shire

A classic fourth tier fixture at Cliftonhill this weekend, between two teams who have gotten off to completely different starts.

It goes without saying that in general form can fly out the window, but after six games it's second vs second (and with Clyde playing tonight, potentially rock) bottom, Shire have lost all their away games and we've won all our home games, and early indications show that we're looking better in every department- most notably our very impressive defence. ES have conceded 14 goals to the Rovers' 3, and even though Shire have scored in all but two of their league games so far I predict a clean sheet.

If we do that bit, all we'll need to do is score. Darren Young and his dollars have been able to protect leads and see out wins- previously a one goal lead was a cause for mass tension, now it's slightly easier to watch, and with the greatest respect to our opponents if the Rovers team means business they should be looking to win this one fairly comfortably. Our goals have been coming from all over but if Mark McGuigan can make it 3 in 3 I'll be very impressed.

Always a fixture I look forward to.

Yes, Marky took his goal well on Saturday at Berwick, but overall I was disappointed with our play, although we could have nicked a win at the end but for a super save by the Berwick `keeper. Any news of when The Beast will be fit to return to the action ?

The problem with young players is inconsistency. Already this season I have seen us being good enough for a Play Off push but bag enough to suggest we'll be lucky to remain in this league next season.

Tully, is playing the right way and so far I can't fault him, however maybe some of the players need to adapt to the riggers of playing First Team football at this level. You only have to look, we're flying high in the Development League (top of the table) but obviously 2nd bottom of the league that matters.

Albion Rovers were my tip to win the league and I even put a few quid on it (E/W) so I fully expect another 3 points dropped on Saturday but I do feel we are on the right lines, but we may have to write this season off and just hope to not finish bottom again and let the young guys develop.

A few weeks ago when the Rovers were away at Montrose I watched high-flying Caley Thistle against Partick Thistle. Caley started that game confidently, and dominated until they got a well-deserved goal. After that Partick fought hard to get back into it, made it 2-1 by half time, and in the second half the ICT didn't show up.

Today's game at Cliftonhill unfolded very similarly: we came out looking great, goal machine Alan Reid scored what could be our "goal of the decade" winner and I thought we looked like running up a score. Our lead lasted nine minutes; McKenna's equaliser was a poor one to concede but what should have been a wake-up call turned out to be a catalyst for our capitulation. Vidler's goal to take the lead was farcical, and Shire walked through our defence a number of other times. After half time Shire emerged out the tunnel a few minutes before Rovers and were streets ahead of us on the pitch. At that game at Firhill Partick got a well-deserved third to kill the game off. Shire were unlucky not to get theirs but it was a comfortable victory.

It was a funny afternoon for Reidy and I feel sorry for him- as well as his 25-yard screamer, defensively he was probably our best performer and I grant him his 70mph clearance past his own byline as an outlet for understandable frustration. What's not acceptable as a way to blow off steam is a dangerous tackle- he'll have two games in the stands to think about that mistake, I trust he'll be back in the number 2 shirt as soon as he's eligible and I have no doubt that he'll return straight back to his usual form.

Even still, I don't think his red card let the team down any more than the performances of his colleagues. I've criticised the 4-4-2 previously but today we had a midfield of passengers. I'll attempt to defend Marc McKenzie, who was the best of the four, and Liam Cusack, who's been short on game time, but the midfield simply wasn't good enough. The forwards contributed very little and because of that most of our attempts on goal were resorts to long shots, of varying quality. A good manager is able identify his poor performers and Darren Young must look at himself as a serial offender. Albion Rovers is not a vehicle for his ego and I think he'll be much more popular if he shows some humility and benches himself. When fit, the first player on my teamsheet would be Scott Chaplain, who has played 0 minutes to Young's 870. Even allowing leeway for Chappy's other work commitments almost two months ago I can't understand it.

Worst to see was that the poor team morale found its way to our captain and his brother. The deputy Messrs. Consistency made more errors this afternoon than cumulatively so far this season, but even the Dunlops are allowed to have an off day, and in attempt to stay positive, we're still second in the league and can put this down as a one-off. While potentially financially lucrative, the tricky cup tie isn't particularly important to me and I see the next two weeks as a chance to take stock and get the league campaign back on track. Any more tactical/motivational nightmares like that could start a wave of negativity around Cliftonhill.

Great performance and result yesterday. Many of us went through expecting to take nothing. The way rovers came out of the tracks, didn't change that apprehension. However, when we managed to pull back the defecit, we started to believe we could make a game of it. Our link up play going forward was a joy to watch, none more so than David Greenhill - he was superb. We have a really young squad, and there are going to be peaks and troughs, but I really feel we are going in the right direction. Well done to the Shire fans that bothered to make the trip - they backed their team superbly.

Also well done to Albion Rovers for letting my son and I in for a tenner.

Montrose and Clyde take note....

Well done Shire! I'm not the only one who wrote you off before the game, and I certainly wouldn't have given tuppence for your chances after Alan Reid's belter on an opener. However, you were full of ideas and running, with Greenhill the best player on the park by a large distance. We did have a few chances, but had we managed a draw it would have been grand larceny.

I assume Darren Young is still no closer to knowing or best team, although he does seems pretty sure that it should include him for every available playing minute :rolleyes:

Fingers oot Rovers! Arbroath are disappearing and East Fife and others have begun to waken up.

I'm not his biggest fan, but our strongest XI would include Gemmill. McGuigan and Phillips haven't performed in the games I've seen, so I'd bench both. McKenzie, Mullin and Cusack would be in and Dallas can come back fully fit in January.

Parry

Reid

Dunlop

Dunlop

Turnbull

McKenzie

Mullin

Pollock

Cusack

Chaplain

Gemmill

Yesterday we started well, scored a screamer then we fell away however still managed to create numerous chances which on another we could have scored 5/6/7 goals.

Well done to East Stirling, they played to their strengths and fought like lions to hold their lead. They packed their defence and hit us on the break after we had Alan Reid sent off for stupidly losing his head and diving in.

Anyways, we have only lost 2 games this season and are still sitting 2nd in the league after a bad day at the office. I will say something that I've said in other threads on here, let's get behind the team rather than heckling our players.

Big game on the 11th October against Elgin now, 3points is a must!

A good manager is able identify his poor performers and Darren Young must look at himself as a serial offender.

I assume Darren Young is still no closer to knowing or best team, although he does seems pretty sure that it should include him for every available playing minute :rolleyes:

Will either of you be allowed back in after this personal abuse??? Can you shed any light on that incident?

I'm not his biggest fan, but our strongest XI would include Gemmill. McGuigan and Phillips haven't performed in the games I've seen, so I'd bench both. McKenzie, Mullin and Cusack would be in and Dallas can come back fully fit in January.

Parry

Reid

Dunlop

Dunlop

Turnbull

McKenzie

Mullin

Pollock

Cusack

Chaplain

Gemmill

Agree about Phillips, he appears to being carried through games so a few games on the bench might be the kick up the backside that he needs. Big John would have had a field day yesterday, I've no doubts he would have took a few of they chances that we made.

Best 11:

Parry (haven't seen the other goalie so no other choice)

Reid Dunlop Dunlop Turnbull

Young (60mins) Cusack

Squib Chappy Love

Gemmell

Will either of you be allowed back in after this personal abuse??? Can you shed any light on that incident?

I think most of the support agreed that Young was piss poor, and the fans voiced such opinions increasingly with each sub he made. I didn't hear anything particularly vicious, but Darren's granny is upset so paying customers will have to clap happily.

I think most of the support agreed that Young was piss poor, and the fans voiced such opinions increasingly with each sub he made. I didn't hear anything particularly vicious, but Darren's granny is upset so paying customers will have to clap happily.

Darren didn't have a great game which I am sure he will admit himself but he wasn't the only one who had a poor game yet no other player got the same treatment for having a poor game as he did. I'm all for venting frustrations but every week it seems the same player is being singled out, there's 11 players out on the pitch so in my opinion it is very unfair of you to constantly single out one player for almost every mistake made.

I was concerned at Young's tired looking performance. The shoulders were drooped and he was walking about at the back looking puzzled. Chasing an equaliser, he took off McNeil and Cusack (the latter had taken a knock) but left Chaplain unused. Throwing Mick Dunlop up front at the end seemed like desperation. We should have had enough to beat Shire's young side but were clueless in our attempts. And we haven't even discussed the comic gifts of their two goals.

I was concerned at Young's tired looking performance. The shoulders were drooped and he was walking about at the back looking puzzled. Chasing an equaliser, he took off McNeil and Cusack (the latter had taken a knock) but left Chaplain unused. Throwing Mick Dunlop up front at the end seemed like desperation. We should have had enough to beat Shire's young side but were clueless in our attempts. And we haven't even discussed the comic gifts of their two goals.

Totally agree bold, Darren Young up until about 60mins is a decent player who brings composure to the team and does well sitting In front of the defence mopping up anything that comes his way. McNeil looks decent and could be dangerous up top with Gemmell.

Archived