Not paying your TV licence fee

I've heard some mention of this, including one or two people I know saying they plan to do it. I was wondering what people here thought in terms of A) how likely it is to happen on a wide scale, and B) whether it's a good idea. I would and have quite happily avoided it before there was a moral aspect to it so I'm not the best judge on the second question.

First of all, unless you are an idiot you can do this if you choose. If you don't let them in they legally have no power to stop you. With that in mind do you think it's a good GIRUY to the BBC or a mistake? My initial reaction was that I hope the idea takes off, but seeing The Telegraph bringing out an article on how to avoid it made me think. Clearly they're just encouraging it so Westminster have an excuse to sell off yet another public service.

Will you do this, and do you think others will?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In every corner of the UK political spectrum, a furious boiling seethe at the BBC is a classic indicator of utter lunacy - UKIPpers, climate change conspiracy nutters, mad racists, raging Tories, all of them horrible bunches of wallopers utterly convinced that a TV station is in cahoots with all of their enemies, both real and imagined.

Large crowds of angry, flag-waving "patriots" furiously protesting broadcasters and demanding that journalists report in a manner more to their liking is the kind of thing that we'd all recognise as deranged behaviour, if it was happening in Moscow.

This kind of thing makes Nats look mental, and not a little sinister. Probably best just to give it up and focus your attention on something less crazy.

Seen someone post up a legal way of doing it apparently. It's became one of those chain things on FB, here it is:

Save yourself £145.50 per year.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/enough-is-enough/

Please please read this whole web page and share with everyone you know who voted yes, or who is opposed to BBC bias. It is not difficult to legally stop paying the BBC TV tax. The easy to follow instructions are on the webpage there, and with services such as:

http://tvcatchup.com/tv-guide

you can watch TV with a one minute delay, which makes it legally a "catch up" TV service, even though it is practically live TV.

Please share this article with everyone.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/enough-is-enough/

Print it out for people who haven't got a PC, even. Just think what a statement it would make if all 1.6 million of us, or a good proportion, would legally stop paying our licence fee. I'm cancelling mine on Monday for certain.

If a decent enough number of people all cancel their TV tax, it could be the most effective peaceful and legal anti-BBC protest so far.

We may have lost a battle, but the struggle carries on.

As you can expect, the idea hasn't taken off.

Bear in mind that whilst you may not need one if you're not watching live TV, watching live TV without one is a criminal offence.

10% of the cases in Magistrates Courts in England and Wales last year were to do with non-payment of the licence fee.

Fair enough if you want to cancel - just please be aware of the law.

In every corner of the UK political spectrum, a furious boiling seethe at the BBC is a classic indicator of utter lunacy - UKIPpers, climate change conspiracy nutters, mad racists, raging Tories, all of them horrible bunches of wallopers utterly convinced that a TV station is in cahoots with all of their enemies, both real and imagined.

Large crowds of angry, flag-waving "patriots" furiously protesting broadcasters and demanding that journalists report in a manner more to their liking is the kind of thing that we'd all recognise as deranged behaviour, if it was happening in Moscow.

This kind of thing makes Nats look mental, and not a little sinister. Probably best just to give it up and focus your attention on something less crazy.

Are you actually saying the BBC was fair and impartial? Oh my.

It's an interesting thing you get with people's reactions to the media. On one hand you do get the tin foil hat brigade who think everything is a conspiracy. Then there's (what I'd hope to be) the majority that call things as they see it, complaining about bias only when necessary. Then there's the opposite extreme, people who refuse to believe that anyone in any position of moderate power could deceive us in any way. The funniest thing about this segment is how smug they are, hailing themselves as the rational voice of reason when in fact they're a complete wet dream for any broadcaster, a bunch of docile morons who accept literally whatever they're told.

Are you actually saying the BBC was fair and impartial? Oh my.

It's an interesting thing you get with people's reactions to the media. On one hand you do get the tin foil hat brigade who think everything is a conspiracy. Then there's (what I'd hope to be) the majority that call things as they see it, complaining about bias only when necessary. Then there's the opposite extreme, people who refuse to believe that anyone in any position of moderate power could deceive us in any way. The funniest thing about this segment is how smug they are, hailing themselves as the rational voice of reason when in fact they're a complete wet dream for any broadcaster, a bunch of docile morons who accept literally whatever they're told.

I'm not sure that "Oh yes, lots of absolute nutters behave in exactly the same way that I do, but it's different when I do it" is a particularly convincing line, here.

I'm not sure that "Oh yes, lots of absolute nutters behave in exactly the same way that I do, but it's different when I do it" is a particularly convincing line, here.

Have you ever seen any cases of bias from the three or four main news broadcasters in your lifetime flyingrodent?

I'll bet you haven't.

Have you ever seen any cases of bias from the three or four main news broadcasters in your lifetime flyingrodent?

I'll bet you haven't.

Well, the BBC's main bias is being slightly to the left of the government of the day, whoever that may be. It also skews metropolitan and generally liberal, largely because most of its employees are exactly that.

On the other hand, I can contain my raging emotions on it and I don't intend to join a flag-waving mob of angry knobheads to gang up and shout about it.

Well, the BBC's main bias is being slightly to the left of the government of the day, whoever that may be. It also skews metropolitan and generally liberal, largely because most of its employees are exactly that.

On the other hand, I can contain my raging emotions on it and I don't intend to join a flag-waving mob of angry knobheads to gang up and shout about it.

I think I could honestly write a 5000 word essay on how biased they've been, which is a concern shared by far more articulate people than you and I. That would be a tragic waste of time though because literally whatever evidence I showed you would be met with "lol, bloody conspiracy theorists", showing the level of blind dedication seen only before by the religious. You're the rational one though..

I think I could honestly write a 5000 word essay on how biased they've been, which is a concern shared by far more articulate people than you and I. That would be a tragic waste of time though because literally whatever evidence I showed you would be met with "lol, bloody conspiracy theorists", showing the level of blind dedication seen only before by the religious. You're the rational one though..

Uh-huh. Well, if you insist on continuing in this vein, I'd advise you to co-ordinate your protests at BBC HQ so that you're not there on the same day as the Rangers fans, waving their Bigoted, Biased, Corrupt banners.

The "BBC.. bias!!!" stuff (when yuo can point to a number of pro Yes articles) reminded me of a conversation with a Celtic fan, who claimed referees had been involved in a Masonic conspiracy for decades.

"But what about all the penalties Celtic get?"

"Errr... that's just cos they can't make it TOO obvious"

Ah. I see.

I havent paid for one for about 8 years, when they send the letters I just tell them the truth, that I don't watch anything live at the time its being broadcast. Usually I get a letter ever 2 years saying I'm not on their list and I may need to update my details.

Had some guy come over the house once upon a time, I let him in to have a look around, showed him the TV and told him I just pirate stuff online.

Got a letter a week later thanking me for letting him in and not to expect any more visits.

The "BBC.. bias!!!" stuff (when yuo can point to a number of pro Yes articles) reminded me of a conversation with a Celtic fan, who claimed referees had been involved in a Masonic conspiracy for decades.

"But what about all the penalties Celtic get?"

"Errr... that's just cos they can't make it TOO obvious"

Ah. I see.

Would you accept that there was a pro-union bias in their referendum coverage? Even a subtle one?

I actually put a complaint in (first time ever) yesterday regarding their headline for Friday night's Glasgow nonsense.

Archived