Can you change the club you support?

Club Poll  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Given the supposed "glory hunting" stereotype of some OF fans, do you think it's possible to change the club to which you lend your support, and have you indeed always supported your club? Were you perhaps brought up an OF fan, but when you became aware of their political connotations, you turned your back on them?

I personally find it a very interesting question, as it's nothing I could ever consider, but a couple of my mates have admitted to being brought up fans of the OF and changing in their teenage years.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the supposed "glory hunting" stereotype of some OF fans, do you think it's possible to change the club to which you lend your support, and have you indeed always supported your club? Were you perhaps brought up an OF fan, but when you became aware of their political connotations, you turned your back on them?

I personally find it a very interesting question, as it's nothing I could ever consider, but a couple of my mates have admitted to being brought up fans of the OF and changing in their teenage years.

Sorry to burst your balloon here, china but you're doing nothing more than trotting out old cliches.

Firstly, there is no such thing as an OF fan. OK so you may be using shorthand to mean something else but it is very lazy and ignorant posting.

Secondly, this, "political connotations," bollocks died a death on Thursday. Plenty of Bears and large numbers of Sellick fans voted Yes. Plenty also voted Naw.

Thirdly, the superiority of choosing a team based on geographic proximity has to be the last bastion of the brain-dead. Folk can support whoever the f**k they like, Shirley?

Sorry to burst your balloon here, china but you're doing nothing more than trotting out old cliches.

Firstly, there is no such thing as an OF fan. OK so you may be using shorthand to mean something else but it is very lazy and ignorant posting.

Secondly, this, "political connotations," bollocks died a death on Thursday. Plenty of Bears and large numbers of Sellick fans voted Yes. Plenty also voted Naw.

Thirdly, the superiority of choosing a team based on geographic proximity has to be the last bastion of the brain-dead. Folk can support whoever the f**k they like, Shirley?

Why is there no such thing as an old firm fan? It's just a quick way of saying a fan of one of the old firm clubs surely? No different from saying a fan of one of the Dundee/ edinburgh clubs.

Of course folk can support whoever they like, but can't you see a problem with that?.. If we all chose a team based on how good they were or success, there would hardly be any teams to play against as nobody would support them.

In answer to the original question, no you can't.

I was forced to consider this a couple times this century unfortunately and came to the conclusion that I would go and watch another team, in my case Dunfermline because they're now my 'local' team but I don't know if I could call myself a supporter, at least to start with, that would take a good few years I would imagine. I guess this isn't the kind of thing you're on about though I suppose.

I know a few Rangers fans who have 'outgrown' some of the stuff that goes with it and wouldn't dream of taking their kids to Ibrox, they have actively encouraged their kids to follow a different team and one of them lives pretty close to Ibrox. They are still nominally Rangers fans but probably because its pretty hard to change your team unless it folds. Personally I would respect a guy who turns his back on a team that has as much baggage as either side of the OF, or at least who goes to watch another team, even if he still holds a bit of a torch for his old team. I'm not sure why its so hard to change your team, it just is, I tell people I'm on my second wife but still on my first football team and I've been disappointed in the way Dundee have done things at times.

I used to go to school with a guy who was a Rangers fan all his days then when he left school his circle of friends were all Celtic fans. He then became a Celtic supporter. What a goon.

It's the same as the guys facebook post that went viral last year when he said he was dinghying Man Utd to go and support Liverpool because they were shite under Moyes. Mentalist behaviour.

We're you born in Govan?

From when I was 18 until about now, I have been to a lot of different teams, Partick Thistle and Stirling Albion a lot of the time due to meeting new people, I've been to about 30 Partick games in the last 4 years so you could say I support them to some level. I'm still an 100% ICT fan but sometimes can't find the time to go

Brought up as a Rangers fan, changed to Queens at 16. Wouldn't say it was a political thing as I prefer to view the sectarian section of Rangers as a minority. It was more to do with that I'd go and see a Rangers game like once every two years, and how can you justify supporting a club like that? Switched to Queens and enjoy following and supporting my local team, and regularly attending football matches. Also refreshing to have no poltical sideshow ruining the experience. Can't see me ever changing club again.

Only if you were an old firm fan and started supporting your local team or if your club died and they weren't reincarnated.

Basically this, aye. I was a Rangers "fan" as a kid before getting taken to see Ross County in 1993. Took me a couple of years to drop Rangers completely but fortunately it did happen by the time I was 12 or 13. Though I imagine I'd have lost interest in Rangers as soon as I became old enough to find out about the history of Rangers & the institutional bigotry at the club. No time for that nonsense.

Archived