Is it wrong that I'm not voting?

ballymoneyyin

Looking at both sides in the run in to the big vote, I have to honestly say that I cannot come to a conclusion on if we are better together or better as an independent country. Mostly, because of the complete contempt and lack of confidence in politics and its ugly processes in the world.

Many people that I have discussed with my opinions have told me that a not voting is a vote against their respective views, which I find to be incredibly intolerant to my views, as if I haven't thought about it and I am incapable of having a capacity to make my own mind up on things.

Both side's supporters, particularly the Independence side have a very aggressive, forceful and judging by Mr Hosie and Ms Davidson on the BBC the other night, a very condescending attitude to their respective opponents.

Both Sides also have indicated continuing/joining the EU, and it baffles me when both sides talking about a negotiation of power when they both advocate taking part in an organisation wherein we have a president most of the population couldn't even tell you his name who passes laws that aren't admissible to anyone in the regions affected but lets not go into that.

I honestly cannot wait until these 'campaigners' of both sides either go back to work, college or go back to watching their daytime TV. The whole thing has gotten rather. Americanis(z)ed, cringeworthy and quite frankly the most distasteful. I love Scotland, but I also love England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Spain, France and so on.

Call me a cynic, call me small minded or whatever, but IF I did register to vote and had to, if I REALLY had to, it would probably come down to who's arty farty supporters I dislike the most.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at both sides in the run in to the big vote, I have to honestly say that I cannot come to a conclusion on if we are better together or better as an independent country.

Many people that I have discussed with my opinions have told me that a not voting is a vote against their respective views, which I find to be incredibly intolerant to my views, as if I haven't thought about it and I am incapable of having a capacity to make my own mind up on things.

Eh?

Looking at both sides in the run in to the big vote, I have to honestly say that I cannot come to a conclusion on if we are better together or better as an independent country. Mostly, because of the complete contempt and lack of confidence in politics and its ugly processes in the world.

Both side's supporters, particularly the Independence side have a very aggressive, forceful and judging by Mr Hosie and Ms Davidson on the BBC the other night, a very condescending attitude to their respective opponents.

Both Sides also have indicated continuing/joining the EU, and it baffles me when both sides talking about a negotiation of power when they both advocate taking part in an organisation wherein we have a president most of the population couldn't even tell you his name who passes laws that aren't admissible to anyone in the regions affected but lets not go into that.

I honestly cannot wait until these 'campaigners' of both sides either go back to work, college or go back to watching their daytime TV. The whole thing has gotten rather. Americanis(z)ed, cringeworthy and quite frankly the most distasteful. I love Scotland, but I also love England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Spain, France and so on.

Call me a cynic, call me small minded or whatever, but IF I did register to vote and had to, if I REALLY had to, it would probably come down to who's arty farty supporters I dislike the most.

I'm a fan of voting and while it seems pointless, in your position I'd go and spoil my paper. I've not like either campaign but the same could be said for general elections etc. and I'm not surpised that some people genuinely can't be arsed with the whole process.

I was born in Scotland, yet I can't vote because I live in England. How wrong is that?

The only ones that I know of that I have sympathy with are folk in the forces who are based in England and don't have an address in Scoland. I'm sure there will be others who feel they should get a vote but can't but I know a few guys in the forces who are quite bitter (I know, I know) about not getting a vote.

Nope - it's a democracy and you're perfectly entitled to not bother.

I was born in Scotland, yet I can't vote because I live in England. How wrong is that?

But where does this end? A lot of people were born in Scotland and are now scattered around the globe - should they be allowed a vote?

Independence will have some impact upon both of us as Scotland will no longer be part of the UK, but that doesn't mean we should be allowed a vote. It'll also impact upon 50 million others in England too, who rightly are unable to vote.

Archived