Quick tax question.

Newbornbairn

Dunno why you're so quick to want the thread closed. If what you say is true, it's reassuring for a lot of folk who work for companies with headquarters south of the border and it may sway a few undecideds.

Good point but it's pretty obvious, surprised you wouldn't know tbh

Dunno why you're so quick to want the thread closed. If what you say is true, it's reassuring for a lot of folk who work for companies with headquarters south of the border and it may sway a few undecideds.

I have no issue with you posting the thread but I really doubt any undedicideds are likely to read a fairly obscure Scottish football forum in order to swing their opinion.

And if they did, they'd see the dreadful nodrone trolls which, if anything, is likely to push them towards Yes.

You'll pay tax in the country in which you are resident for tax purposes. If your main residence is Scotland, it's highly likely that you would pay tax to a Scottish exchequer. Your main residence applies only where you have more than one property - you elect for one to be your home, which renders it exempt from any tax on gains in its value.

If your employer is solely based in England and you work remotely (i.e. you are effectively a foreign worker), you'd need professional advice and any answer is likely to be dependent on any tax reciprocity agreements.

Like all such questions it cannot currently be answered. As AES says it would depend on residency and whether or not a Double Taxation Agreement exists. Given the large number of people who will be affected by it that will likely be one of the first bridges crossed in negotiations.

In all likelihood if your employer has a Scottish base of operations then you would pay tax in Scotland but if by "based in England" you mean your actual place of work is there but you go to see customers in Scotland to work on site then you would lkely pay it in England. There is no definitive answer to this question.

Like all such questions it cannot currently be answered. As AES says it would depend on residency and whether or not a Double Taxation Agreement exists. Given the large number of people who will be affected by it that will likely be one of the first bridges crossed in negotiations.

In all likelihood if your employer has a Scottish base of operations then you would pay tax in Scotland but if by "based in England" you mean your actual place of work is there but you go to see customers in Scotland to work on site then you would lkely pay it in England. There is no definitive answer to this question.

Exactly and this is the problem with the Yes campaign followers. They've accepted Salmond's assurances and "clarifications" without questioning them. The minute the OP asked he was instantly bitch slapped for being "obtuse" and "knowing the answer". I know the answers Salmond's given me but they're what "will probably happen".

Archived