Inverness Caley Thistle v St Johnstone - 20/09/14

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the couple of extra days preparation might give us an edge but there's no doubt a win tonight would give Inverness a huge deal of confidence, not that they won't already be in good spirits with their start to the campaign. We've seen the best and worst of Saints already this season, so hard to predict much from our side but the games between the teams are always generally close and low scoring, although clearly ICT have had the edge over the past year, winning the last three meetings.

I imagine the manager will stick with Frazer Wright in central defence but coming back into the side after sitting out a few matches, he looked rusty on Saturday and I don't think it's unfair to suggest that age is maybe starting to catch up with him. With a cup game a few days later there's little chance he'll feature in both matches and suspect the grass in the Highlands is a better bet for him than the artificial surface in Ayrshire.

I wonder how far away from selection Murray Davidson will be if he comes through 90 minutes for the development squad tonight? That they are prepared to play him on the artificial surface at Hamilton has to be encouraging. Can't see him starting on Saturday but hopefully we might see him from the bench. Despite the injuries, there are options for the manager in midfield and he has to get it so that Brian Graham isn't as isolated as he was at times on Saturday, or at least get better service to him, i.e. balls into the box for him to attack. Wouldn't be against seeing Caddis come back into the reckoning for this one.

I'll possibly finally be able to tick this stadium off my list as I've already dropped the seeds for a "romantic" weekend in Inverness, this being the highlight obviously.

Get this feeling this might be the perfect sort of game for us, theres no pressure as I doubt many people have high hopes after the Dundee game, combined with it being one of the traditional hard away days.

Wright will be better after getting 90 minutes I hope, while Graham having another week with the squad can only be a good thing. I'd be tempted to put Caddis or Wotherspoon in behind Graham but as always it will be McDonald, probably with Millar and Lappin behind him. Hopefully things come off for O'Halloran as he'll become vital now Maccas out, he's the main support for the front man.

I wonder how close to a return to action Murray Davidson is? In today's Courier saying the backroom staff wanted him to get 360 minutes under his belt in the Development League before he'd be back to first team action. I think last night's game takes him up to that mark.

Ideally I'd like Davidson to start with Millar in the engine room and maybe Caddis slightly advanced of them on Saturday but can't see it. There's no point in dropping McDonald back in there against the likes of Draper and Tansey as despite his height, he'll just get bullied out of the game. If, as I suspect, Davidson isn't quite there then I guess we go with Millar and Lappin and try to move the ball quickly rather than get caught up in the battle that matches between these teams (especially up there) often become. After that the big decision becomes which two of Croft, Wotherspoon and O'Halloran you go with?

Maclean (sp.) out for four to six months apparently?

Confirmed. That's our season buggered to a certain extent already, since we have no real replacement. It's like Mackay getting injured for Caley, who do you play??

Confirmed. That's our season buggered to a certain extent already, since we have no real replacement. It's like Mackay getting injured for Caley, who do you play??

Big boost for us then however we've looked pretty toothless over the last couple of games so a dull 0 - 0 could be on the cards. If Mckay was to get injured for us then I dread to think what would happen to us. he may not be scoring many goals for us at the minute but he is putting in a power of work up front by himself. The team needs to start creating more for him. I think we are too slow getting forward and this allows opposition players a chance to get behind the ball and limit the space between the alst man the goal where Mckay has been so successful playing off the last defender.

Yeah, we will. Think it's time to rest Billy McKay as well.

For who exactly? It's a big ask of Ferguson to come in but I wouldn't object to him getting some game time. Playing someone like Watkins up front removes one of your main wide attacking threats. Even a big lump like Brian Graham might have been worth a shout to let us try a different approach.

We took it easy in our league cup game yesterday and with Draper, Shinnie and Christie starting for us we should be full of energy and looking to crush some poor team 1-0 or maybe if we go all out attack dare I say a 2-0 win.

The start of the season that saw all those wins was entirely down to the players, just the same as the victory over County last season.

The last two losses have all been down to Hughes and if he's left to weave his dust he'll surely deliver a defeat at the weekend.

He'll be gone by Monday.

Say NO to Hughes and YES to Adams.

Archived