Queen of the South vs Hibernians Flag Club

A good performance from us for the most part.

It was an even game with few chances. Our goal came via a mistake, but was well worked thereafter between McShane and Reilly.

Hibs don't look especially dreadful, but they do just look like a standard 2nd tier club, as likely to go down as up, but probably doing neither.

I suppose that feels pretty dreadful if you're a Hibs fan though.

Agreed. It was a workmanlike performance and a hard earned win. It's a welcome result though as Hibs are likely to be in the playoff mix with us rather than gunning for the title with Hearts and The Rangers. Probably the type of game we would have lost last season.

We look in great shape considering the players we still have to come back. You'd expect our bench to be weak because of this, but I attribute a lot of today's win to the substitutions. We were very deep and inviting Hibs onto us, but Dzierzawski and Kidd especially pushed us further up the park. The result was never in doubt after this.

Blatant red for the double foul on Russell. I don't think it was a penalty for the handball though. It definitely hit his arm but it would have been very harsh.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Queens: 8/10 for effort, 6/10 for quality. That doesn't say much for the current Hibs setup, who could have been dispatched much more easily by a more clinical side. We were organised and passed the ball reasonably well, but maybe lacking a little in the final third - still, it was a good day at the office. McShane, Higgins and Russell probably our best men on the day, with an oddly off-colour Lyle lucky not to get hooked before he did.

The only downer of note was the shocking display by referee Muir - incompetent, inconsistent and generally a bawbag of the grandest order. I'll be praying we don't get him again for a very, very long time.

*edit - can't wait to see the Malonga free kick again on highlights.... :1eye

Did either keeper have a save of note today? Says it all really. Thought Hibs started the stronger and stroking ball about at back and midfield but not creating much. Goal was what divided the teams and was really due to McShane putting pressure on Hibs midfielder player who should have done better before laying off to Reilly who being unselfish squared to Mschane who and continued his run into the box.

Second half thought Queens had lost way half way through when nothing was working and crying out for a change. Looked stronger after Kev came on then Kidd added more energy in driving forward.

Not sure what was going on with bookings, Folwer was soft but maybe correct as he tapped player running through midfield, Holt's couldn't quite see what that was for, Lyle - didn't see anything really, Russell - thought he got wrong man and foul was by Baird. Now Forster - how he escaped a red I don't know, hauled down Russell then had another go at him. Both were booking so lucky not to see red.

Zander made a great save at somebody's feet early on. Other than that, no, neither keeper made a save of note.

McShane and Reilly both did brilliantly on the goal.

Fowler's booking was fair enough and Russell's was a stonewall booking every time. Far too far away to see if Holt's was justified or not. Lyle was right in front of me though and extremely harsh. it was for persistent offending but for me that's not remotely close to being a foul at all.

Forster's never going to get a red there. There's a good argument that both his challenges on Russell were yellow card offences but I don't think I've ever seen a ref in my life book a player twice at the same time for separate challenges. I've seen players such as Rooney get double yellow for a foul and then sarcastic applause for dissent but not for two separate fouls on an opponent. Fully expected him to get a yellow.

Pretty comfortable win in the end. Queens bossed the first half and scored a really well worked goal. McShane closed down and won the ball before releasing Reilly who played the perfect return for McShane to slide the ball under the Hibs keeper.

Other than one save from Clark at 0-0 and a couple of scrambles in the box late on, Hibs never really looked like scoring. Much like Falkirk. they passed the ball around neatly but without having enough in the final third.

A few ratings on today's game:

Pre-Match:

The Scotch pie 10/10

The programme - 9/10

Match Ratings:
Oxley - 5
Gray - 5

Forster - 4
Hanlon -5

Stevenson - 6

Stanton - 3

McGeouch - 7

Robertson - -1

Kennedy - 7

Malonga - 4

Sinclair - 5

Was impressed with McShane.

Post - Match:

Great laugh coming back up the road

Fans were arguing all over the place in our end today and i really do fear for Stubbs now.

Good battling team performance by Queens. Had all the goal scoring opportunities in game and well worth win.

Considering so many players out our start to season is outstanding.

As to Hibs they are a disaster of a football team no craft fight or flair.

Fair play to support for following that shambles.

Good battling team performance by Queens. Had all the goal scoring opportunities in game and well worth win.

Considering so many players out our start to season is outstanding.

As to Hibs they are a disaster of a football team no craft fight or flair.

Fair play to support for following that shambles.

I've got a season ticket, i've been to every away game this season apart from Ibrox in the Ramsdens cup. I won't be going to Dingwall and Ibrox in the coming weeks. Will happily save my money instead.

Agree with the view that Hibs are a decent looking championship side, lacking a bit of scoring punch. I agree that they will be there or thereabouts for the play-offs. Obviously Hibs fans must be pretty concerned right now, given how many points they have dropped so far.

I thought the Carmichael / Stevenson contest was very entertaining and would put it down as a draw. Made up for lack of shots on target.

Forster seem to let the red mist get him for 5 mins and he was a lucky guy not to get himself sent off in that time IMO.

Forster is dreadful. I said as much last season and for me his defensive abilities haven't improved at all over the close season. Robertson is just as bad in the midfield, f**k knows why we kept hold of him.

Him and Craig will be gone next season

3 points are welcome. Especially against a team that are not likely to be as poor as they have been through the first few games. I expect Hibs to pick up points and vie for top 4 by the end of the season.

If Hibs are that poor then 1-0 is not great. My view is Queens are in a group of 5/6 teams who will be aiming for 3rd/4th. I expect Hibs to be one of those teams

A few ratings on today's game:

Pre-Match:

The Scotch pie 10/10

The programme - 9/10

Match Ratings:

Oxley - 5

Gray - 5

Forster - 4

Hanlon -5

Stevenson - 6

Stanton - 3

McGeouch - 7

Robertson - -1

Kennedy - 7

Malonga - 4

Sinclair - 5

Was impressed with McShane.

Post - Match:

Great laugh coming back up the road

Fans were arguing all over the place in our end today and i really do fear for Stubbs now.

Hibs fans aren't seriously turning on Stubbs? Just like Mixu, Calderwood, Colins, Yogi, Fenlon, Butcher?

When will the penny drop wi you people. :lol:

Archived