Mo-Vers (and shakers)

No thread on this one. No interest in it?

So far this campaign both teams have 100% records at home and 0% records away. Rovers haven't been fantastic on plastic- last season we won just one league game on 4G, and Montrose took 9 points off us. Both sides seem to have improved over the Summer, so this should be a good contest. A big test of what the Rovers are made of, since it'll be our first away league game not decided by North Sea gales.

I won't be in attendance, so anticipate BBC updates and eye witness accounts.

Ooft! Describing the Rovers as 'shakers' could get you a sore face ya know ;-)

I'm on my way up at the moment and am reasonably confident. 7 points from the next 3 games has to be the aim. Big Gemmell's continued absence is a concern, though; I'd like to see Chris Dallas get a start there, maybe with wee Squib off him.

Are your old man and Calum going?

No thread on this one. No interest in it?

So far this campaign both teams have 100% records at home and 0% records away. Rovers haven't been fantastic on plastic- last season we won just one league game on 4G, and Montrose took 9 points off us. Both sides seem to have improved over the Summer, so this should be a good contest. A big test of what the Rovers are made of, since it'll be our first away league game not decided by North Sea gales.

I won't be in attendance, so anticipate BBC updates and eye witness accounts.

'Decided by North Sea gales' :lol:

So nothing to do with the fact you were utterly useless at Gayfield no?

Are your old man and Calum going?

I don't think Bold was up for it, and have hardly heard from the other one since he got a wife.

I'd be quite pleased with anything other than a defeat today. Gemmell's absence should be enough motivation for Chris Dallas to get his shooting boots on and prove himself, hopefully my vote of confidence in him won't be a jinx. I'd be unsettled to see McGuigan in the number 9 shirt- anyone who remembers his last performance at Links will understand why.

'Decided by North Sea gales' :lol:

So nothing to do with the fact you were utterly useless at Gayfield no?

I wasn't there, but the consensus seems to be that neither team was particularly useful. By all accounts, even for Gayfield the wind was particularly bad that day, and the game was won because Arbroath dealt with it, as they can better than any other team in this league.

I don't think Bold was up for it, and have hardly heard from the other one since he got a wife.

I'd be quite pleased with anything other than a defeat today. Gemmell's absence should be enough motivation for Chris Dallas to get his shooting boots on and prove himself, hopefully my vote of confidence in him won't be a jinx. I'd be unsettled to see McGuigan in the number 9 shirt- anyone who remembers his last performance at Links will understand why.

I wasn't there, but the consensus seems to be that neither team was particularly useful. By all accounts, even for Gayfield the wind was particularly bad that day, and the game was won because Arbroath dealt with it, as they can better than any other team in this league.

I was there. Wind does spoil a game to an extent but we had more chances with and without it. The wind does mess up your long balls but it does not affect passing it on the deck, which Rovers were completely useless at that day. The game was won by the better team not the wind.

The game was won by the better team not the wind.

Yeah, I'll give you that. What Albino says has a ring of truth too though, Rovers weren't that upset by the defeat purely as we couldn't get going in the wind.

Put simply, Rovers are a better side than we showed that day. Write us off at your peril!

I was there. Wind does spoil a game to an extent but we had more chances with and without it. The wind does mess up your long balls but it does not affect passing it on the deck, which Rovers were completely useless at that day. The game was won by the better team not the wind.

Fair enough. The "North Sea gales" line wasn't in full seriousness, anyway. The wind is just the standard happy clappy excuse for when we lose at Gayfield. We've got one for every ground.

Annan, Clyde, East Stirling, Montrose, QP- blame the plastic pitch

Arbroath- too windy

Berwick- foreign country

Elgin- players had sore legs from being on the bus too long

East Fife- so perfect in location and pitch surface that it's deceptively hard

Fair enough. The "North Sea gales" line wasn't in full seriousness, anyway. The wind is just the standard happy clappy excuse for when we lose at Gayfield. We've got one for every ground.

Annan, Clyde, East Stirling, Montrose, QP- blame the plastic pitch

Arbroath- too windy

Berwick- foreign country

Elgin- players had sore legs from being on the bus too long

East Fife- so perfect in location and pitch surface that it's deceptively hard

I have similar ones too I know where you're coming from ;)

Great result for the new league leaders. Leasing Dallas seemed strange to me but maybe he requested it for first team football. John Gemmell's other deputies grabbed a goal each against the sub 'keeper today- that means Mark McGuigan must have hit a shot on target. Fair play.

Scott Chaplain being benched hints he'll soon be back at peak fitness.

Looking forward to some expert analysis later this evening.

More likely that a wayward shot or clearance bounced off him and in IMO.

That was my first reaction, but (from BBC):

Goal! Montrose 0, Albion Rovers 2. Mark McGuigan (Albion Rovers) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner.

A bitterly frustrating afternoon which started in the worst possible way with our most reliable performer having an utter brainfart and getting sent off inside 5 minutes. McCafferty actually acquitted himself quite well and in the end he alone kept it from being a cricket score (at least three cracking saves) as the opposition used the extra man to devastating effect. Rovers sprayed the ball around the park very well, but took ages to kill the game off and squandered a barrel load of chances: at only 1-0 around 75 minutes in they looked a tad shaky, before inevitably going up the park and scoring. Gemmell would probably scored a double hat-trick had he been playing. Northcroft being his usual inept self today didn't improve the mood in the home support, either.

Sigh.

Just settled down as the sun came out this afternoon and Mackenzie's rash decision (excellent use of "brainfart" by Scorge) meant it was game over.

That said, we looked fairly comfortable in possession in the first half with 10 against 11. Sad then, that Albion's first could have been avoided if McCafferty and Crawford had communicated from Albion cross and Rovers did have a hat-full of chances to bury us.

When you've got the prospect of 86 minutes with a man down, you can have no passengers in your side, and today I thought Harkins was a complete passenger. Should have been hooked after 20 minutes for offering nothing upfront and even less in tracking back and helping out. Day's pace could have caused them problems but he wasn't given that opportunity. Thought Deasley put in a tireless shift and plenty of running all over the park. Cavannagh looked lightweight when he came on. Two decent saves from Rovers keeper from Watson freekicks but not surprisingly we offered very little else during the 90.

Usual garbage from Northcroft. Consistently inconsistent for both sides and bottled it many a time with some bewildering decisions and backchat to the crowd.

That was my first reaction, but (from BBC):

Goal! Montrose 0, Albion Rovers 2. Mark McGuigan (Albion Rovers) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner.

Yup, great 25 yard run through by Mark and an excellent finish. He didn't play well throughout though, but was helped by his strike partner being the best player on the park. Where has Ross McNeil being hiding? He's a real talent.

An odd game that, with Rovers struggling to come to terms with the man advantage up unto McNeil's bullet header. We also had loads of the ball thereafter but without doing much, and there was a 15 min spell in the second half where the 10 men had us under the cosh.

I said before the game that 7 points from our next three games had to be the target, and we're well on course for that with Berwick away and Shire at home to come.

Well done again Rovers! Things are looking good☺

Thanks Snuffy- such is your expertise that I instinctively gave you a greenie before reading your post.

Excellent stuff, although it sounds a bit like McKenzie gifted us the game, but we can only beat what's in front of us. Another test next week- anything but a defeat at Berwick will be acceptable.

Our manager gave himself 90 minutes again. How did he play?

Perhaps the most pleasing thing about the Rovers just now is the goals against count. Three consecutive clean sheets and the two league goals we have conceded were a ludicrous penalty and a defensive switch-off when Mick Dunlop wasn't playing. Things are rosy and I hope the manager can keep this big squad happy.

On the contrary, "the other one" gave you his reasons for missing this game two weeks ago.

Another three points, a clean sheet and top of the league. Not a bad day all round.

Hope the players have their passports looked out for Saturday's visit to that diddy mob from yon foreign country!

Archived