English Clubs in the LL

inthepink

When the LL was first being established I remember a rumour that a few clubs south of the border were going to apply. I didn't believe this but I was just wondering what would stop an English team close to the border having a go in the Scottish Pyramid?

As Gretna transferred from the English to the Scottish system some years ago now, although they are actually based in Scotland.

I think UEFA would have issues with this - the current teams that play in other countries do so for historical reasons i.e. Liechtenstein has no national league so teams play in the Swiss pyramid, similarly Wales had no national league until a few years ago. So some Welsh sides play in the English leagues and Berwick in Scotland as they joined the respective leagues before UEFA was founded.

Not sure who would want to cross the border either!

I think UEFA would have issues with this - the current teams that play in other countries do so for historical reasons i.e. Liechtenstein has no national league so teams play in the Swiss pyramid, similarly Wales had no national league until a few years ago. So some Welsh sides play in the English leagues and Berwick in Scotland as they joined the respective leagues before UEFA was founded.

Not sure who would want to cross the border either!

That in a nutshell.

Caernarfon Town used to play in England but joined the League of Wales back in 1995. About four seasons ago they looked into the possibility of moving back into the English pyramid and were told is was a no-goer from the word go. Berwick and the Welsh clubs would be allowed to move into their home land but as regards a club trying to get into a different country I can't see UEFA buying it.

I'm sure there was some rumour about Celtic Nation but they seem to be fecked now.

A San Marinnese team play in the Italian League despite there being a San Marino league.

Vaduz play in the Swiss league. Is it not to do with leagues that don't put their champion into the Champions League?

• 6 months later...

Rich guy takes over club and pumps money in...team punches above its weight and does well...rich guy withdraws cash...club cashes and burns. Nothing new here, eh?

But that's just it, the club was punching about its weight before those f**kers got involved. The club needed a white knight due to their battle with their landlords, and the ultimate price paid was their independence as they became a shark's toy for a lunatic scheme to have a place in the English League to sell to one half of the Ugly Sisters.

Once UEFA made it clear that was never going to be allowed, the swine jumped ship & left everyone else to pick up the pieces and the massive bill from the overpaid monkeys brought on board who by that time were doing a regular Rangers impression. Chance of rescue therefore zero.

...became a shark's toy for a lunatic scheme to have a place in the English League to sell to one half of the Ugly Sisters.

Always comic how some middle-class Scots can never bring themselves to criticise Celtic directly. The name Celtic Nation and the green and white hoops made it abundantly clear whose Trojan horse this was meant to be.

Always comic how some middle-class Scots can never bring themselves to criticise Celtic directly. The name Celtic Nation and the green and white hoops made it abundantly clear whose Trojan horse this was meant to be.

I know we are straying miles off the topic like but you've got me intrigued here Lurky, how do you determine someone's class from that post?

I'm quite interested in class, so I'm not taking the pish (this time).

It appears to me that up here (Edinburgh) the classes (working & middle class) mix far more than down where I was brought up (north Manchester) unless I was just unconscious of the mix before?

I take it you are working class, I get that class is more of an issue for us, whilst middle classes tend to be more "classless", well the folk I've met anyway.

Is there a "class" thread in the Politics or Gen Nonsense forums?

Might have to start one if not, I know we've got a lot of Uni lads on here too but that's not always a bad thing? ;)

Grimbo

Archived