Cove Rangers v Annan Athletic

Elgin City v Forres Mechanics

Whitehill Welfare v East Stirlingshire

Inverurie Loco Works v Hurlford United

Gretna 2008 v Queen's Park

Turriff United v Clyde

Stirling University v Albion Rovers

My predictions:

Fraserburgh, Talbot, Nairn, Arbroath, East Fife, Spartans, Bo´ness, Berwick,, Brora, Cove, Elgin, Whitehill, ILW, QP, Turriff and Albion Rovers will advance

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stirling Uni have lots of good pitches on their own campus, not sure how they'd go about charging admission because IIRC it's all open access. With that in mind, since S. Albion and Stenny are at home on the 4th I can see the date being changed.

In any case, a banana skin for the Rovers: SU's burd manager has them in a worse position than they were in with a man in charge last season; conversely our new boss has us in the ideal position. In-form senior team away to mediocre student outfit- that's the recipe for a cup upset.

Another win last night over Preston Athletic...third in a row...

They already have been... the Second Round ties are Saturday 4th October.

Going by the rules on the SFA website: up to and including R2 clubs get up to £400 from the SFA if the tie is more than 50 miles away. (From R3 on it comes out of the gate receipts). Of course on top of that there is prizemoney - apparently £2,000 for playing a tie in in R1 - £4,000 in R2 - and so on, although the increments will go up later in the competition. Apparently clubs also get £600 for every match they play in lieu of broadcast rights now that highlight clips are shown on YouTube, by William Hill and on the BBC. Then add gate receipts. It's fairly lucrative.

If the above is correct, then Hawick will have pocketed £3,800; plus their share of 3 gates; plus the best part of another £800 for away trips to Newton Stewart and Aberdeen. However, one of their fans on the EOS sub-forum said that clubs in the Preliminary Round got £2,000 on top of their £2,000 for reaching R1... which if correct would actually make it the best part of £6,600 plus their share of 3 gates.

In terms of today's draw, its interesting to note that the make-up is:

* 10x SPFL2 clubs

* 8x LL clubs

* 8x HL clubs

* 5x Junior clubs

* plus winner of Linlithgow-Fraserburgh replay (Junior v HL)

All other leagues eliminated.

Rose won. Will be interesting to see which non league will do best. Fairly equal amount of teams now.

My predictions:

Fraserburgh, Talbot, Nairn, Arbroath, East Fife, Spartans, Bo´ness, Berwick,, Brora, Cove, Elgin, Whitehill, ILW, QP, Turriff and Albion Rovers will advance

Coupon burst with 15 to go lol.

Rose won. Will be interesting to see which non league will do best. Fairly equal amount of teams now.

Each has 1 'internal' tie so all guaranteed someone into R3. Juniors have the best draw given 0 of 6 drew SPFL opposition while 4 of 8 did so from both HL + LL.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the answer is basically "yep".

As I noted on the LL "Golden Boot" thread yesterday only 1 man - Struthers - has actually scored for them in the league so far. Both goals in their Cup R1 victory at second-bottom Preston came from Donnelly and it's their only win of the season. They only average 1 goal every 2 games, and concede 2 / 3 per game. They're in a bad way currently.

But, it's the Scottish Cup, shocks can happen.

I think the answer is basically "yep".

As I noted on the LL "Golden Boot" thread yesterday only 1 man - Struthers - has actually scored for them in the league so far. Both goals in their Cup R1 victory at second-bottom Preston came from Donnelly and it's their only win of the season. They only average 1 goal every 2 games, and concede 2 / 3 per game. They're in a bad way currently.

But, it's the Scottish Cup, shocks can happen.

Having never lost to a non-league side in a competitive fixture I doubt Threave will be much of a threat, also we have turned our form right around with 10 points from 12.

2nd Round Results

Arbroath 2-2 Montrose
Berwick Rangers 2-0 Formartine United
Bo'ness United 7-1 Culter
Brora Rangers 5-0 Banks O'Dee
Cove Rangers 1-2 Annan Athletic
East Fife 7-0 Threave Rovers
Edinburgh City 2-1 Auchinleck Talbot
Elgin 0-0 Forres Mechanics
Gretna 2008 0-1 Queen's Park
Inverurie Loco Works 0-3 Hurlford
Linlithgow Rose 5-1 Dalbeattie Star