New junior teams

ardeerultra

It would give Troon a local derby mate

Irvine is just as close to Troon as Prestwick but as you say wouldn't consider Troon rivals as Meadow do Vics, Buffs and Talbot. They don't really have a big local rivalry?

Was cycling through Prestwick today and wondered that was strange they didn't have Junior team but very close to Ayr and has plenty Killie fans plus usual Old Firm in Prestwick.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knockentiber is the amateur team that could step up to Juniors from a town/village without a team but probably rather be in top league of amateurs and winning things there without drifting around Ayrshire District struggling to pull in enough money to pay players each week and compete well.

Maybe I'm getting mixed up because it was called the thistle club and the supporters frequented there. Any older gentlemen can enlighten us?

You're perfectly correct, sir. It closed sometime in the 70s if I remember - nothing changes though, there were allegations of committee financial 'mismanagement' back then too !!!!! ;)

You're perfectly correct, sir. It closed sometime in the 70s if I remember - nothing changes though, there were allegations of committee financial 'mismanagement' back then too !!!!! ;)

Do you know if it was associated with the club or was it just called the Thistle club.

The Thistle Club was Ardeer Thistle`s when they were based at the Ardchoille ground in the north (Hayocks) end of Stevenston ... a ground that once held 11,000. The current ground was built for Ardeer Recreation (Bobby Lennox was farmed out there after leaving school) and Thistle became tenants when the ground reverted to the local authority after the Rec club was demolished.

Currently, I don`t believe ANY amateur team would be allowed to join in Ayrshire ... League Cup sections have six teams each, impossible to go over that ... and they are a really backward lot.

The Thistle Club was Ardeer Thistle`s when they were based at the Ardchoille ground in the north (Hayocks) end of Stevenston ... a ground that once held 11,000. The current ground was built for Ardeer Recreation (Bobby Lennox was farmed out there after leaving school) and Thistle became tenants when the ground reverted to the local authority after the Rec club was demolished.

Currently, I don`t believe ANY amateur team would be allowed to join in Ayrshire ... League Cup sections have six teams each, impossible to go over that ... and they are a really backward lot.

Really? Backward? Who are you, sir? Platini?

Is it not the case though that good amateur teams are frequently filled with players capable of playing junior but can't offer the same commitment?

I've always wondered about towns without junior teams, for example as far as I'm aware Prestwick doesn't have one. Strange for such a big town.

Is it not the case though that good amateur teams are frequently filled with players capable of playing junior but can't offer the same commitment?

I've always wondered about towns without junior teams, for example as far as I'm aware Prestwick doesn't have one. Strange for such a big town.

Your thoughts on Prestwick not having a junior club is far from being unusual. Compare Dundee and Edinburgh. Tayside have had enough teams to run a league of their own at times similer to Glasgow. Edinburgh on the other hand have never had an abundance of junior clkubs. You quoted Prestwick as an example , what about Kilmarnock, Paisley, Stirling, Airdrie, Coatbridge,Dumbarton, Helensburgh, Motherwell, Dumfries, then All the Borders Rugby strongholds. Suppose it must go way back to 1888 when I think that is when the juniors started. Heard there were 400+ Scottish entries in the 1920's. Maybe some one could fill in the the other juniorless towns.

Im am quite surprised that there is no junior team in prestwick, Ayr only has 1 as well? The whitletts...Strange its a massive area

Yep totally agree!

It's a surprise a place the size of Prestwick with no junior team!

There's also Stewarton who may have a good potential fan base.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there only 1 senior team in Stirling?

Stirling Uni count as a senior team.

I've always been surprised that Mauchline doesn't have a team when you compare it's size to some of the places that do have teams. I know there was a senior side there way back though.

East stirling, Stirling Albion

Oh dear, oh dearie dearie dear!

Go and have a look at where those teams play and have another go :lol:

<---- My location should help.

Oh dear, oh dearie dearie dear!

Go and have a look at where those teams play and have another go :lol:

<---- My location should help.

He'd best hope his team doesn't draw Glasgow Perthshire in the Junior Cup or he'll be a bit lost... sure I saw him at Ullapool when they drew Lewis United too.

I was on girvan managment we we made switch from south of scotland league ...it was fairly straight forward process.biggest issue is your ground and park being enclosed off..

Biggest concern for us at the time was the club not losing its scottish cup status..and from memory the junior association were most welcoming and helpful..

And on point of prestwick were i live and i coach a prestwick youth side ..i dont think the oval could provide the proper facilities ..also major parking issues when oval busy

Archived