Match of the Day 30th August 2014

Grim O'Grady

Gretna vs the current Lowland League Champions

Raydale

England

ko 3.00pm

Gretna, will be looking to get their own back on the Champions after last seasons massacre at home.

Should they finally manage to beat us at home they'll leapfrog us in the League.

Sammy will be looking to continue our 100% win record on the road,

McBookie are offering you yer money back (well a £5) on any lowland League bet (other leagues are available). So as long as we don't draw I'll get me fiver back.

Grimbo

Are there players missing? Are the new guys struggling to gel? Does Sammy know his best 11? Are too many players not good enough? Loads of questions, but one of you spartans fans must have a theory- share it with the rest of us who aren't used to competing at the top year in year out.

Needless to say I thoroughly enjoyed the game today and as a "bench mark" as to how we are progressing this season, I think that we can be extremely happy down Raydale way. Its not often that we get result against Spartans.

Are there players missing? Are the new guys struggling to gel? Does Sammy know his best 11? Are too many players not good enough? Loads of questions, but one of you spartans fans must have a theory- share it with the rest of us who aren't used to competing at the top year in year out.

If you look at our teams for each match you'll see that we haven't been able to put out the same team twice. Now there's plenty of reasons why & I don't want to sound like a whinging twat & yes I know other teams are probably in the same boat.

Sammy can only put out the best of what's available & in what is the best formation no team/manager sets out to lose a game.

I know we'd like to see more attacking football & looking at our squad you'd think that was easily possible but the thing is as soon as we start to look the business we get another or a reoccurring injury & it's back to square one.

On the player gelling front, Herdy I'd say took the longest to gel but once gelled he was an inspiration only to be cruely taken out by an injury, but all our squad have gelled, so there's no real issues on that front.

Sammy knows his best 11, we know our best 11, when you see our best 11 you'll know it too. If you look at Man City's team out today who lost 1 nil at home to Stoke City, I'm pretty sure you'd say that was possibly the strongest 11 that was on the pitch? It's not that simple.

I know as champions we are there to be knocked & there's a lot of knockers around. What I saw today & last week was two teams determined not to get beaten by the champions. Gretna were superb in defence, I don't think their keeper had any serious goal attempt to save.

It's football, it happens, I'm pissed off cos normally 1 of my teams can pick me up with a win, it didn't happen today & that may well reflect in the highlights package.

Well done to Gretna today if they can raise their game to that standard every week then believe me, they will be contenders at the end of the season.

Grinbo

Same grim we have never had same team 2 games in row from are preseason doesn't help give it til after few months league will start levelling out when teams find there stride, just hope 1 of them teams are us up ww

Probably right. Wonder how many teams have been able to field the same 11 in consecutive games? Be interesting to see where they are in the league as a result. Time will tell though but spartans only 6 points back and 3 from second although as someone who's been around since Lawson was first at ww, it's interesting to see a league table after 6 games with spartans in 7th. Strong league me thinks.

If you look at our teams for each match you'll see that we haven't been able to put out the same team twice. Now there's plenty of reasons why & I don't want to sound like a whinging twat & yes I know other teams are probably in the same boat.

Sammy can only put out the best of what's available & in what is the best formation no team/manager sets out to lose a game.

I know we'd like to see more attacking football & looking at our squad you'd think that was easily possible but the thing is as soon as we start to look the business we get another or a reoccurring injury & it's back to square one.

On the player gelling front, Herdy I'd say took the longest to gel but once gelled he was an inspiration only to be cruely taken out by an injury, but all our squad have gelled, so there's no real issues on that front.

Sammy knows his best 11, we know our best 11, when you see our best 11 you'll know it too. If you look at Man City's team out today who lost 1 nil at home to Stoke City, I'm pretty sure you'd say that was possibly the strongest 11 that was on the pitch? It's not that simple.

I know as champions we are there to be knocked & there's a lot of knockers around. What I saw today & last week was two teams determined not to get beaten by the champions. Gretna were superb in defence, I don't think their keeper had any serious goal attempt to save.

It's football, it happens, I'm pissed off cos normally 1 of my teams can pick me up with a win, it didn't happen today & that may well reflect in the highlights package.

Well done to Gretna today if they can raise their game to that standard every week then believe me, they will be contenders at the end of the season.

Grinbo

I don't think that we raised our game today. It was much the same way that we played last week. I hope that we have found what was missing last season, consistency. We have an exciting young team who I believe can put in a serious challenge for title this season.

It is always a pleasure to have the Spartan lads at Raydale. Just that bit more pleasurable when we win.

I don't think that we raised our game today. It was much the same way that we played last week. I hope that we have found what was missing last season, consistency. We have an exciting young team who I believe can put in a serious challenge for title this season. It is always a pleasure to have the Spartan lads at Raydale. Just that bit more pleasurable when we win.

^^^ this until yer last paragraph I thought we were :D ^^^

Correct you played ww to a level last week and now today beat that lot.

The league was very close at this point last season but somehow I think there's gonnae be a lot of twists and turns to come before May unlike last season when around April/May eventually the procession started.

I don't think its a certainty that the play off every spfl team thinks is gonnae happen is a team from north Edinburgh ??

Obviously I canny speak for the hfl.

Mon the welfarrre !!!

Archived