Partick Thistle v St Mirren - League Cup R3

Lex

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full time 1-0

Winning twice at another top flight teams ground in five days would be a big ask for any side, but we gave it a decent shot. Especially given 3 of our starting 11 from the last game were unavailable this evening.

Not much in the game, as there wasn't on Friday. Though if any team deserved to edge it tonight, it was Thistle.

Good luck in the rest of the tournament.

Awww. Thanks Lex... some good news at last

Less bad of 2 poor teams, first half was genuinely awful to watch with neither side managing a shot on target. Game opened up a bit after that, St Mirren bizarrely didn't seem to play anyone on the right of midfield once they'd made their last sub which meant Carroll and Higgy had acres of space.

Thought we were the better team from HT onwards but some shocking final balls and worse finishing on our part meant the game went 120 minutes. After slagging him so far I was quite impressed with Carroll tonight - I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's being told to tuck in all the time as that's 3 games in a row now he's ended up playing as a 3rd CB half the time. Some good runs forward when running onto the ball but won't take a full back on. Osman pretty good as well with his added winding up the opposition fans thrown in for good measure. I don't think Seaborne is especially good but he does talk a lot and as such we look far more solid with him in the team.

Eccleston, apart from a tap in, slipped on his arse at least 3 times and picked up a cheap booking, he'll fit right in. Doolan still looks a bit off form, I'd be tempted to start Eccleston on Saturday and give him an hour.

Still, only our 4th QF in 30 years in this tournament, I can't wait for the 2-0 defeat at McDiarmid park in the next round.

Eccleston didn't look fit but still scored an excellent goal.

Thought Osman and Carroll were our 2 best players. Seaborne was solid. I reckon we'd have got a draw at the worse if he was playing on Friday.

Fox was poor again, IMO. Craigen was pish too.

Don't think Saints deserved to lose that, mind you, don't think we deserved to win it either.

We probably just edged it on quantity and quality of chances, but nothing seemed to fall for us tonight.

And again, we lose an important goal when Kello palms a weak shot out to the feet of an opponent for a tap in.

Think Ball is looking better. No Thommo, but if he keeps improving then I reckon he can do a decent job at this level.

Oh and Calum Murray had an absolute mare.

A well deserved win over a lack lustre Saints side. Good to see Nate backed up his payback talk in the press with a blistering tap-in from two yards!

The difference for me was Seabo returning, Saints were toothless.

Also impressed with Jake Carroll in the second half when he played further up the pitch.

I'm a bit worried how bad St Mirren are playing at the moment. A loss against a team playing so poorly was a real kick in the teeth on Friday but thankfully they lacked the spark of their comeback on Friday.

Only a diddy cup win but good to see Archie make some decent substitutions for a change.

Onwards and upwards V

Osman > Osbourne. Liked Osbourne when he was here, but he was pretty shite tonight. Osman, meanwhile, was tremendous throughout.

Carrol was pretty poor first half but second half he improved immensely, which he carried on into extra time. Thought Eccleston may have been offside purely by the sheer amount of space he was in, but was miles away so not the best placed to judge. I'll take that though!

Higgy not great.

Reffing pretty minging throughout, but tbh not any real controversial game changing decisions.

Well done to the Saints fans though, very impressive turnout given the circumstances. Bit weird seeing the North Stand as empty as that.

Don't think Saints deserved to lose that, mind you, don't think we deserved to win it either.

We probably just edged it on quantity and quality of chances, but nothing seemed to fall for us tonight.

And again, we lose an important goal when Kello palms a weak shot out to the feet of an opponent for a tap in.

Think Ball is looking better. No Thommo, but if he keeps improving then I reckon he can do a decent job at this level.

Oh and Calum Murray had an absolute mare. He Not a fan of Sheridan, by and large, even although I do believe politically at least he is an honourable man.

What he is saying here though is exactly what should be happening. The Yes campaign has to be laser focused on the Westminster elections in May. Solidarity and the Greens can't really hope to make an impact in first past the post elections.

The SNP of late have, correctly, focused on Holyrood. However it has never been more important for Scotland to be represented at Westminster by people who's first priority is Scotland.

post-1545-14115115941252_thumb.jpg

Oh and Calum Murray had an absolute mare. He Not a fan of Sheridan, by and large, even although I do believe politically at least he is an honourable man.

What he is saying here though is exactly what should be happening. The Yes campaign has to be laser focused on the Westminster elections in May. Solidarity and the Greens can't really hope to make an impact in first past the post elections.

The SNP of late have, correctly, focused on Holyrood. However it has never been more important for Scotland to be represented at Westminster by people who's first priority is Scotland.

Calum Murray isn't a fan of Tommy Sheridan, you say?

Osman > Osbourne. Liked Osbourne when he was here, but he was pretty shite tonight. Osman, meanwhile, was tremendous throughout.

Carrol was pretty poor first half but second half he improved immensely, which he carried on into extra time. Thought Eccleston may have been offside purely by the sheer amount of space he was in, but was miles away so not the best placed to judge. I'll take that though!

Higgy not great.

Reffing pretty minging throughout, but tbh not any real controversial game changing decisions.

Well done to the Saints fans though, very impressive turnout given the circumstances. Bit weird seeing the North Stand as empty as that.

I thought the goal looked offside as well to the extent I didn't really start celebrating until the linesman started running back towards halfway, but I'm 80 yards away and there didn't appear to be any St Mirren protests.

Thought their Ozzy was far better in the first half, our players shat out of challenging him all the time as they did on Friday, but as time went on our Ozzy got the upper hand.

Would have been the worst 18 quid I had ever spent if it wasn't for the goal. The game continued on from the weekend into another shit fest, we picked up a bit 2nd half.

Glad Seaborne's back, Lawless brilliant again, Carroll impressive imo, and good to get Eccy his first goal.

Don't worry about it. I agree with pretty much all of what you've said, even the stuff that got in there by accident!

I disagreed with the Saints didn't deserve to lose bit ;)

Unfortunately I fear Declan Deila's Mhob will pump them on Saturday despite the Saints delivering some delicious Timbusting exploits throughout out their SPL tenureship :(

It was a home game, but I'm putting it in my 'if you weren't there on a cold, wet Tuesday night' collection. Worst home crowd I've seen in years, although understandable given the dreadful pricing for what was only an early round of a diddy cup competition.

Anyway both teams did well in keeping it relatively tight throughout the match. Today compared with Friday underlines the importance of Seaborne to us, our defence looks a good bit more composed and balanced with him. He and (especially) Osman had good games tonight. Neither side had anything to offer up front though, and if the game was going to have a goal then that was the standard of goal it deserved. Bit of a gift from Kello mind, he's really not that good is he?

The most important thing though is that we play Kilmarnock having done a good bit to put right the shitebag mentality of Friday night. Hopefully our key players got through tonight unscathed.

Archived