Partick Thistle v St Mirren - League Cup R3

Lex

Date and time of game confirmed today as Tuesday 23rd of September at 7:45pm.

We also have a league game at the same venue on Friday 19th of September at 7:45pm. Going to be quite a 4 days :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Our record in this competition is appalling since it went to knockout in the mid 80s.

3 QFs (1993, 1996, 2002) and never beyond that

Never beaten a team a league above us

Only ever beaten one top division team (Dundee in 2002 when we were also in the top division)

Since we have absolutely no depth in the squad I expect the same starting XI as Friday night, maybe Eccleston for Doolan at a push to get him more game time. And probably the same result.

I'd be tempted to play SOD outwide, and let Lawless move central. Stevenson dropping out as he doesn't seem to have the fitness to play 2 games in 5 days. If Ecclestone's fit enough I'd start him too.

This is a more important game than Friday, in my opinion anyway. A good cup run can really give the club a boost, on and off the park. The winner here is only a couple of games away from a national final.

Marwood must be dropped and Ball must start. The big man caused Balatoni and and Muirhead no end of problems when he came on.

Apart from that I think we will start the same team, perhaps McAusland starting instead of Plummer if he hasn't recovered.

Expect a similarly tight and nervy game to Friday. Will predict 1-1 AET and Saints to win on penalties, extending our unbeaten run at Firhill to over 13 years in the process :)

Marwood must be dropped and Ball must start. The big man caused Balatoni and and Muirhead no end of problems when he came on.

You could stick Stephen Hawking upfront and he'd cause the two of them problems. Hopefully Seabourne is back but it looks doubtful.

You could stick Stephen Hawking upfront and he'd cause the two of them problems. Hopefully Seabourne is back but it looks doubtful.

I'd honestly rather go with Lindsay than Muirhead for this one.

Not got high hopes. I'd go with...

Gallacher

O'Donnell - Balatoni - Lindsay - Carroll

Osman - Bannigan

Elliott - Lawless - Higginbotham

Doolan

What's the script with Seabourne? Is it a recurring injury or lots of wee different ones? It's increasingly worrying the amount of time he's out and how vital he seems to our squad already.

Missing this due to work. I normally don't care too much about cups, but because we lost on Friday, progression would be nice.

How I'd line-up:

Gallacher

McMillan Balatoni Seaborne/Lindsay Carroll

Osman Bannigan

SOD Lawless Higginbotham

Eccleston

How we will:

Fox

McMillan Balatoni Muirhead/Seaborne Carroll

Osman Bannigan

Lawless Craigen Higginbotham

Doolan