The 'meh' derby - Killie vs St Johnstone

Killiesquirrel

I was pleased to see you scoop that trophy up (converting you from a WFAANW into a team that did), but JEEZO, don't get carried away. You have a LONG way to go to before coming close to Killie's record. Get a grip.

You seem to be making the mistake of taking me seriously.

I'll forgive you, simply because I feel sorry for you lot. Excited about the League Cup. Pah!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time the clubs met in a cup game was September 2000 in the league cup. Killie prevailed 1-0 away from home.

Then going further back, the sides drew 0-0 in February of 1993 in a Scottish cup tie. St Johnstone won the replay 1-0 at home and hence advanced.

As far as I can see, there has been no other cup meetings between the sides.

So the records between the sides in cup competitions are one win a piece

and a draw.

Remember Sep00 very well. Lost 1-0 then woke at 5am next morning having a heart attack! Not kilmarnock's fault :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure even cavemen were smart enough to know that a match between teams on the opposites sides on the country isn't a derby.

I'm astounded at how thick you're being

Hopefully somebody gives Tommy Wright the number for Mike Bassett ahead of this one. I don't generally think 4-4-2 is the way forward for us long-term but it has to be a consideration for Tuesday night for a few reasons. Morgan needs a game ahead of next weekend and we aren't creating chances so maybe need to be more direct. It's not like those in possession of midfield jerseys are undroppable either and, with respect to them, not sure going with just four in midfield against Killie is as dangerous as it could be against other sides.

Davidson and Millar are the obvious pairing for the centre of the park but is the former fit enough? Depending on what they feel about the pitch, it's maybe a risk worth taking for me. Didn't think Frazer Wright would manage two games in four days but he was maybe our best player yesterday. Gary Miller could do with a game though. Wright best placed to handle the power of the Killie forwards, Anderson was destroyed last time he played against Ngoo.

Without giving it too much thought at this stage:

Mannus

Mackay - Anderson - Wright - B Easton

Croft - Millar - Davidson - Lappin

Graham - Morgan

Subbies: Banks, Miller, McDonald, O'Halloran, Wotherspoon, Caddis, Lander.

I'd be half tempted to start play with the one up front, but make that one Morgan, have Caddis in behind him with O'Halloran and Croft on the wings. Millar and Lappin in behind, almost tempted to say give Easton a shot in there aswell, just to see how he copes at senior level, but I fully predict we'll go with the bog standard, paceless midfield we love.

I'm an enteral pessimist. But I probably wouldn't risk Davidson for this. Would far rather have him ready for Saturday. Agree that Morgan needs a go though in order to give him some game time pre Sat. Caddis IMO deserves another go. He can't be any less effective than yesterday.

Archived