Stranraer v Dunfermline

Both teams had narrow defeats to Premier opposition last night and both will be looking to bounce back.

Stranraer have had a poor start to the season and will be looking to take points from a Pars side who only got their first league win of the season last Saturday.

It seems there won't be as many Pars fans making the trip down as previous trips with The Elizabethan on the verge of cancelling their bus due to lack of numbers.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stair Park - another ground we struggled at last season. Stranraer always gave us a game and were well drilled, they impressed me at EEP last season, especially the 3-2 victory. Genuinely the only team in the league last season, minus Newco, that actually looked good in the final third. Much like the start of last season, they've kicked off relatively poorly, but that counts for nothing as they have a decent squad for League 1.

I think if we can play our strongest XI, even starting Stirling to give us something else going forward, we should win, but it won't be comfortable. Cagey draw or narrow victory for the Pars.

I fancy our chances here. I think we're warming up now and it's only a matter of time before we score a barrel load of goals against someone.

I like Stranraer and would rather it was another team who's getting pumped. :unsure:

Tough match; I'd tip Stranraer to be in the promotion play offs again this season, I like the look of their squad. Despite losing key men such as Andrew Stirling, Mark Docherty and Martin Grehan, they've recruited well over the summer. Craig Malcolm is a great signing for this level imo and he'll cause us lots of bother on Sat alongside Longworth. One of their other new players, Anthony Marenghi, impressed me last season vs Ayr but for whatever reason wasn't kept on by them. He's similar to Forbes for us - good left foot, set piece taker, can pick out a wonder ball at times too: I'm wondering if his work rate, similar to Forbes, is what let's him down.

In terms of ourselves, was great to see Andrew Stirling return from injury on Tuesday evening. He may only of got 10 minutes at the end but just to have him available as an option is great. I'm guessing we'll see team news up on COWS tomorrow night, but assuming no knocks were sustained vs St Mirren, I'd go same again as nobody failed on Tuesday night and deserve to keep their places. If Faissal is able to return (not sure why he wasn't there on Tuesday, hopefully nothing too serious), I'd have him on the bench ahead of either Page or Urquhart.

Hoping for a win to give everyone a boost going into the international break, but this will be tough. I'm not underestimating Stranraer at all and I'll gladly take any kind of victory this weekend - whether it be a lucky 1-0 win or a convincing 5-0 victory, I don't care. 3 points is massive for us to try close the gap on Ayr out in front and climb the table further; a draw wouldn't be disastrous, but I'm gonna be positive and focus on a winning performance by the lads!

My prediction;

Stranraer 1-2 Dunfermline

Longworth for Stranraer, Moffat and Ugwu for ourselves.

COYP!! :D:)

JJ on Thursday;

Unfortunate that nobody else is back but glad to hear Andy Stirling got another run out on Wednesday in a behind closed doors match, which we won 2-0, vs Queens Park.

As I said on my last post on this thread, the team done so well on Tuesday I wouldn't change any of the Starting XI or the subs unless there was anymore injuries or players were back. Due to that not being the case, I'd go:

Scully

Williamson

Buchanan

Martin

Millen

Spence

Geggan

Falkingham

Thomson

Moffat

Ugwu

Subs:

Goodfellow

Urquhart

Page

Byrne

Forbes

Stirling

Smith

Willie Gibson signs for Stranraer.

Not sure how fit he is or what his form is like but if it's as good as when he was with us then it's a fantastic signing. Exactly the player we need but JJ hates him.

Willie Gibson signs for Stranraer.

Not sure how fit he is or what his form is like but if it's as good as when he was with us then it's a fantastic signing. Exactly the player we need but JJ hates him.

You are kidding right? He had talent for sure and played very well for us but it seems pretty clear the guy is a total dick. He's fallen out with almost every manager he's ever had. He's not that good to make up for his personality failings.

As Jim McIntyre is rumoured to have said, "I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole"

Archived