Preston?

Mikeymouse10

The difference in quality between the Lowland League and LEAFA would be huge. Yes there is a few odd exceptions to that rule i.e. players that could take the step up to Lowland league and hold there own or a few players that play in LEAFA because they want to play with there mates ( Aird, Patty, Mark McEwan etc)

If someone was to put a Lowland league Select squad team together and compete against a LEAFA select the gap would be massive. Yes the LEAFA have 2/3 players that could compete but the rest would get over ran and in an embarrassing manner within my book.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all fairness I think that some people treat amateur football as nowhere near the level of some EOS/Lowland League teams.

Granted, your Spartans, Edin City, Stirling Uni etc, are a cut above the rest, however some Lowland teams such as VOL and Preston (no disrespect) and EOS teams (Eyemouth, Hawick and Ormiston - until fairly recently) are glorified amateur outfits.

Some of these teams would struggle to cut it in the LEAFA Prem div which has some cracking sides. We've had lads sign for us that were playing EOS and then didn't get a game for us cos they weren't any better than what we had already.

I just think some people are fairly ignorant when it comes to amateur football and LEAFA has came on leaps and bounds, over the last 5 years especially.

You can't seriously compare a team such as Preston to an amateur club??? Ok, they may have signed a number of players from amateur level this year and they are obviously struggling in terms of results but they have a great set up, well beyond any amateur team. Reports would suggest that the committee may have their problems just now too but they did well enough to secure an SFA license and they provide/manage a budget well beyond amateur level as well.

You can't seriously compare a team such as Preston to an amateur club??? Ok, they may have signed a number of players from amateur level this year and they are obviously struggling in terms of results but they have a great set up, well beyond any amateur team. Reports would suggest that the committee may have their problems just now too but they did well enough to secure an SFA license and they provide/manage a budget well beyond amateur level as well.

Amateur teams don't a 'budget'.

as everyone is aware, there's definitely teams that pay players at amateur level.

my point is in terms of ability of players and how good teams are, there's definitely players and teams in LEAFA that are of a higher standard than some EOS and bottom table Lowland league teams. Just saying that a Lowland league select team would beat a LEAFA select proves nothing - that's like me saying a Premiership select would be a championship select. there are still potentially players in that championship select than could play at the premiership level. although, i'm sure i could put a 11 players, made up from the top 3 LEAFA sides against 11 guys from the bottom 3 EOS/Lowland sides and it'd be more than a good contest.

there's players out there at amateur level that are of equal, it not better, ability than some of those playing EOS/Lowland.

The point of the original post was not to criticise amateur or under 21 players playing in the lowland league, quite the opposite, it was to say that some people are not prepared to give these guys a chance, making out that they are inferior players playing in a superior league and suggesting they don't belong there. I've been to a couple of the preston games this season and the problem isn't with the new players that have come in, unfortunately their problems are with existing players who are supposedly experienced at that level, David Binghams mistake was that he didn't bring in more new players and instead relied on the experienced lowland league players who are obviously far superior (NOT)

The point of the original post was not to criticise amateur or under 21 players playing in the lowland league, quite the opposite, it was to say that some people are not prepared to give these guys a chance, making out that they are inferior players playing in a superior league and suggesting they don't belong there. I've been to a couple of the preston games this season and the problem isn't with the new players that have come in, unfortunately their problems are with existing players who are supposedly experienced at that level, David Binghams mistake was that he didn't bring in more new players and instead relied on the experienced lowland league players who are obviously far superior (NOT)

No, the point of the original post was to say that the users of this forum were elitist in suggesting that bringing in players from amateur football wasn't good enough for Preston. Which the league table seems to suggest. Team lines suggest the majority of the starting 11 last weekend were new players- surely the 3 or 4 more established guys were the reason the team got pumped?

I'll repeat, it's not the issue if where the players have come from rather the quality of player that has come in that is the issue. And the last month seems to show that whoever they are and wherever they've come from they aren't cutting it.

Lowland league teams are GENERALLY better than eos, eos GENERALLY better than amateur. Case closed.

EOS generally better than amatuer....top league teams in amatuer football would beat A LOT of EOS teams! I play in the second top division at amateur having previously played lowland league and I watch a lot of EOS and lowland league football and I'm confident we'd give Preston/threave and many EOS teams a game and capable of beating them as well

Good for you pal. But how can you play amateur and watch A LOT of eos and lowland league? Unless you can be in two places at once?

Look a really don't care but the fact I said generally in my post twice in big fat capital letters means there could be some exceptions.

ie tollcross could give many eos a game and Lothian thistle could give most LL a game.

I think 9/10 would agree, the other 1/10 being amateur players with a chip on their shoulder

I get wot your sayin topsider and ur right but at the same time footballs 11v11 and any team is capable of beating another...i play e.o.s and have recently played against top lowland league sides and amateur sides and in some cases the gaps not as big as many make out tollcross for example are a cracking amateur outfit and looking at the standard preston and threave were playing at yesterday i think anyone would fancy beating them

The premier amateur is a great league fair do's teams havent got the setups of your ll sides but many of the teams are a solid group of decent players who are mates and having been there it isnt easy to beat a group of mates who are fighting for each other..preston are the total opposite they look like 11 guys who are there for a wee game at the weekend...as i said before its 11v11 anything can happen on the day

Preston could do a lot worse than give Bob Baillie the job. Great coach who brings a wealth of knowledge and professionalism. But Big Fozzy assisting? Hahahaha, the quicker Preston empty wage thieves like him the better. Finished as a player a long long time ago (not to mention a few stone ago), and from what I hear an absolute nightmare to have in the dressing room.

Lowland league teams are GENERALLY better than eos, eos GENERALLY better than amateur. Case closed.

This.

Right through football people understate the difference between levels. Partly to big-up their own area of interest, partly through chip-on-the-shoulder.

We also see it when people claim that "lots" of HL, LL or Junior players or clubs are as good as or better than SPFL1 or SPFL2.

Some are, which is only natural - but broadly speaking they aren't, which is only natural, and borne-out by cup results.

Archived