Preston?

Mikeymouse10

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i take it your a commitee member east is east or a player? He has experience in east of scotland level and has done well. Also can attract players which has been a big problem at preston over the years? Im sure there will be a big list of applicants in for it .

I think alot of people are underestimating how bad things actually are at Preston:

Bingham

Firstly he has no-one to blame but himself. I've been told from various sources that his method to sign new players was to text them and ask if they want to sign, who is going to reply yes to someone they hardly no or have never spoken to verbally before - I find this highly surprising given the level he played at and experience within the game, furthermore alot of the current and past players have said his training was amazing but his man management was nothing short of awful. I think he made a giant rod for his own back when he choose to turn down the chance to sign several experience eos & lowland league players to sign young boys who are extremely raw having just came from under 19/21 football.

Finances

Its sound like the club have spent almost there entire budget for the year on existing players and this money is probably factored on getting through the 1st round of the Scottish with the prospect of getting a juicy tie in the 2nd round so if Saturday was to go badly then the club will be in an even worse spot.

Committee

Again I think this is something that did not help Bingham as apparently most of the committee can't stand each other and hate working together with several big fall outs based on the way they have spoken to each other or bitching behind peoples backs. I have also been down to a few Preston games(last season) where they have had zero committee presence and someone has failed to take responsibility for the grass being cut resulting in a game going ahead on a park that is not fit for rugby, never mind football.

Players

Again from speaking to a few people who have watched Preston this season it seems like the big named players have seriously let the club down, I have only seen 1 game but was very evident from what i saw. For examples Bingham choose the guy Ramsay as his captain and he will be one of the top earners yet I understand he has missed several games and attended maybe 1 training session yet when he does turn up he plays automatically - that can't be a great example for the other players. The other examples is the striker Martin - the boy can score goals and looks to be having a poor season so far which sometimes happens but he looks to be playing for himself. He never tracks backs or really works off the ball and if the boys is not played within a 10 yard vicinity of him then he aint interested. The phrase "playing for himself" is perfect as I believe he is the highest earner with goal bonuses attached. I am a huge believer that you can't offer that perk at this level, especially as the game I saw he had several chances to play people in but choose to go himself.

I think the above factors mean Preston need to make drastic changes and quick. The new manager is going to have a hell of a job on his hands and sounds like very limited or zero funds to work with for this season. Wouldna surprise me if Preston went for a manager that can keep them in the league this season with limited funds then maybe changed him next season when they have new funds to invest and bring in a fresh squad.

Only my opinion and what I have heard before I get several less that polite replies.

I think alot of people are underestimating how bad things actually are at Preston:

Bingham

Firstly he has no-one to blame but himself. I've been told from various sources that his method to sign new players was to text them and ask if they want to sign, who is going to reply yes to someone they hardly no or have never spoken to verbally before - I find this highly surprising given the level he played at and experience within the game, furthermore alot of the current and past players have said his training was amazing but his man management was nothing short of awful. I think he made a giant rod for his own back when he choose to turn down the chance to sign several experience eos & lowland league players to sign young boys who are extremely raw having just came from under 19/21 football.

Finances

Its sound like the club have spent almost there entire budget for the year on existing players and this money is probably factored on getting through the 1st round of the Scottish with the prospect of getting a juicy tie in the 2nd round so if Saturday was to go badly then the club will be in an even worse spot.

Committee

Again I think this is something that did not help Bingham as apparently most of the committee can't stand each other and hate working together with several big fall outs based on the way they have spoken to each other or bitching behind peoples backs. I have also been down to a few Preston games(last season) where they have had zero committee presence and someone has failed to take responsibility for the grass being cut resulting in a game going ahead on a park that is not fit for rugby, never mind football.

Players

Again from speaking to a few people who have watched Preston this season it seems like the big named players have seriously let the club down, I have only seen 1 game but was very evident from what i saw. For examples Bingham choose the guy Ramsay as his captain and he will be one of the top earners yet I understand he has missed several games and attended maybe 1 training session yet when he does turn up he plays automatically - that can't be a great example for the other players. The other examples is the striker Martin - the boy can score goals and looks to be having a poor season so far which sometimes happens but he looks to be playing for himself. He never tracks backs or really works off the ball and if the boys is not played within a 10 yard vicinity of him then he aint interested. The phrase "playing for himself" is perfect as I believe he is the highest earner with goal bonuses attached. I am a huge believer that you can't offer that perk at this level, especially as the game I saw he had several chances to play people in but choose to go himself.

I think the above factors mean Preston need to make drastic changes and quick. The new manager is going to have a hell of a job on his hands and sounds like very limited or zero funds to work with for this season. Wouldna surprise me if Preston went for a manager that can keep them in the league this season with limited funds then maybe changed him next season when they have new funds to invest and bring in a fresh squad.

Only my opinion and what I have heard before I get several less that polite replies.

I played under bingham at preston, and still go watch some games, i would say all of the above is spot on

The way that some people go on about amateurs and under 21 players not being good enough for this league is mental. This is an amateur league, the majority of players playing in it get very little if any money at all, you would think that preston had signed young guys straight out of the playground the way some people are going on. Age or amateur isn't the problem here, it's about wether your good enough to play, not about how old you are or where you played before, elitist bullshit

The way that some people go on about amateurs and under 21 players not being good enough for this league is mental. This is an amateur league, the majority of players playing in it get very little if any money at all, you would think that preston had signed young guys straight out of the playground the way some people are going on. Age or amateur isn't the problem here, it's about wether your good enough to play, not about how old you are or where you played before, elitist bullshit

Firstly, it isn't an amateur league- it's part of the professional game regardless of how much people get paid.

Secondly, the issue isn't in relation to how much people get paid, it's to do with quality. The lowland league is, by definition, far further up the pyramid than amateur leagues, in the same way as the premiership is four levels above the lowland league. It wouldn't be elitist to suggest that players from the lowland league would struggle in the premier league and it's an appropriate analogy. The point about the players at Preston is based around their quality- which the current league tables shows rather than the whole amateurs are crap chat.

Quality regardless of age or where you've played before is exactly the point I was making, however to say that the lowland league is part of the professional game is way off the mark, simply being in a certain league doesn't make you professional. Your right to say it's not related to what people get paid but it also has a lot to do with how clubs are run and the infrastructure that's in place, a lot of the what you would class as amateur clubs are run and administered in a far more professional manner than some of those in the lowland league.

Jake porteous would be a good manager knows the lads from that area as been involved wi preston youths for years. Helped Berwick reserves aswell n managed Arniston many moons ago. From what I hear Preston only pay 3 players thats a massive dressing room loss right there

Quality regardless of age or where you've played before is exactly the point I was making, however to say that the lowland league is part of the professional game is way off the mark, simply being in a certain league doesn't make you professional. Your right to say it's not related to what people get paid but it also has a lot to do with how clubs are run and the infrastructure that's in place, a lot of the what you would class as amateur clubs are run and administered in a far more professional manner than some of those in the lowland league.

To compare amateur football to the Lowland League is hugely disrespectful to the teams in the Lowland league. The teams in the league either have, or are close to having an SFA license. No mean feat. The facilities at the clubs are far beyond those of any amateur teams I know of and as for the committees, the majority work very hard to ensure the clubs are run in a 'professional' manner.

As was stated by surely not, the league set up and pyramid in place shows the gulf, that you would expect, between Lowland teams and amateur teams.

I would like to know your argument for saying teams such as Stirling, Spartans, Whitehill etc aren't professional and what you think the difference between them and most SFL1 & 2 teams is??

In all fairness I think that some people treat amateur football as nowhere near the level of some EOS/Lowland League teams.

Granted, your Spartans, Edin City, Stirling Uni etc, are a cut above the rest, however some Lowland teams such as VOL and Preston (no disrespect) and EOS teams (Eyemouth, Hawick and Ormiston - until fairly recently) are glorified amateur outfits.

Some of these teams would struggle to cut it in the LEAFA Prem div which has some cracking sides. We've had lads sign for us that were playing EOS and then didn't get a game for us cos they weren't any better than what we had already.

I just think some people are fairly ignorant when it comes to amateur football and LEAFA has came on leaps and bounds, over the last 5 years especially.

Prime example being Ormiston. Shambles of a team for the last few years - they've added a group of AMATEUR players to their squad this year and now sit 3rd in the league.

Right now, for me, there's not a massive gulf between Amateur and EOS/Lowland leagues.

Also Jordyn Sheerin was playing for Heriot Vale in the LEAFA Prem Div last season, signed for Musselburgh Juniors this year, and has been doing pretty well as far as I am aware. Same with Sean Lothian at Edinburgh United. And Id also argue that junior is a better level than EOS.

Archived