Euro 2020 Bid Decision

HibeeJibee

UEFA has announced that this will go ahead next month, Friday 19th September. It's a bit complicated and may not work to our advantage, if there ends-up a British Isles "geographic zone", as London is widely tipped for the Final and Dublin has a very good chance.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2132176.html

Stage 0 (Thursday 18th)

UEFA's Executive will split the 19 bidding cities into between 6 and 8 "geographic zones"

Stage 1

Vote for the Final, Semi-Finals and any 3rd/4th place play-off host:

* London

* Munich

Stage 2

Vote for x4 Quarter-Finals (& 3 Group matches) hosts:

* London or Munich

* Amsterdam

* Bilbao

* Baku

* Brussels

* Bucharest

* Budapest

* Cardiff

* Copenhagen

* Dublin

* Glasgow

* Jerusalem

* Minsk

* Rome

* St Petersburg

* Sofia

* Skopje

* Stockholm

Stage 3a

Vote for howevermany Last 16 (& 3 Group matches) hosts would bring each "geographic zone" upto at least 1 city each

* cities as above, less QF hosts

Stage 3b

Vote to allocate the remaining Last 16 (& 3 Group matches) hosts

I think we still have a decent chance. They must take 13 from 19, and Jerusalem + St Petersburg are surely hampered by current political situations (albeit they'll have dissipated in 6yrs time).

Problem is that London taking the Final would by the look of it leave us scrapping with Cardiff and Dublin in 3b (I doubt any of the Celtic cities will get a QF), if we were all in a British Isles zone which must be eminently possible. Hampden's lack of capacity is another possible handicap.

EDIT: But even if Munich takes the Final, you would imagine London would get a QF, so we'd be in a pickle either way. Still, can but hope.

Shite if we're disadvantaged by proximity to the likes of London and Dublin if it means some cesspit like Skopje or Baku gets in ahead.

This is tripping me out, the European Athletics event is being held in Baku as well.

I dunno if I'm being daft, but Baku...isn't in Europe, really, is it?

This is tripping me out, the European Athletics event is being held in Baku as well.

I dunno if I'm being daft, but Baku...isn't in Europe, really, is it?

There is no official definition on the border between Europe and Asia, which means the likes of Azerbaijan, Armenia and Georgia can claim to be from wherever they like. Something which I'll be seething about when Baku is hosting a European Championship last 16 match and Glasgow isn't.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of questions for me being slow

1) Does each venue get the entirety of one groups games?

2) If not, are Scotland still guaranteed to get two "home" games if we qualify? From reading it seems like it

I'm guessing that 1) is a no, otherwise it would be three home games, wouldn't it? If that makes sense.

A couple of questions for me being slow

1) Does each venue get the entirety of one groups games?

2) If not, are Scotland still guaranteed to get two "home" games if we qualify? From reading it seems like it

I'm guessing that 1) is a no, otherwise it would be three home games, wouldn't it? If that makes sense.

1. No, 2 cities share a group.

2. From what I've read, no. UEFA have said they will try to base teams 'at home' but will not be possible for everyone.

Archived