Crowds

lionel hutz

What are the crowds like in the Lowland League? I need some figures for research I'm doing.

Thanks In Advance

where are you based?

we can let you know how to get to the grounds & what matches are on, that way it'll make your research more fun & you can deduct 1 from your findings as well as helping out each club you go to.

Grimbo

Only a few clubs published anything approaching comprehensive figures last season, I posted them in another thread:

Gretna 2008

- overall average 122, league average 143

- overall highest & league highest 189 (Threave)

*omits concluding league game v Preston

Edinburgh City

- overall average 84, league average 76

- overall highest 252 (Fraserburgh, Scottish Cup)

- league highest 160 (Spartans), league lowest 40 (Stirling)

*omits concluding league games v Selkirk and Vale of Leithen

Threave Rovers

(note these figures exclude their home league derby v Dalbeattie which was the last game of the season)

- overall average 151, league average 143 [but probably higher post-derby]

- overall highest 258 (Spartans, Challenge Cup)

- league highest 180 (Gretna) [but probably higher post-derby as they got 200 v Dalbeattie in LL Cup], league lowest 100 (Selkirk)

Whitehill Welfare

- overall average 111, league average 125

- overall highest 512 (Stirling Albion, Scottish Cup R2)

- league highest 165 (Gala), league lowest 75 (Selkirk)

*omits concluding King Cup ties v Stirling Uni and Gretna

Colloquially, I've heard it said that most clubs were up last season. Gala are said to have the highest crowds in the league, I've even heard suggestions they may average over the 200 mark or not far off it. Spartans and East Kilbride are said to be somewhere in the 100s range. Stirling Uni, Vale, Selkirk, Dalbeattie (less certain) will I understand all be in 2 figures. It's a lot of guesswork and trying to choose between individual people's over or under estimation, though.

It appears that BSCG will also be publishing attendances this season. So far they've drawn 100 & 86.

Would you? That would be healthy in SPFL2. In all non-league football only a couple of clubs will average over 300: Pollok, Clydebank (341 overall/422 in league), and probably Auchinleck.

Only a few HL clubs plus Linlithgow, Irvine Meadow, Cumnock, Bo'ness (and maybe Gala) are thought to average in the 200s, IIRC.

Oh I thought it would be higher, I would expect the likes of Spartans and Edinburgh City to be averaging 300-400

Watch what you are saying a red dots seldom far away when mentioning spartans crowds being as bad as everyone else's :lol:

So far this season...

WW v Edinburgh Uni ... 88

WW v BSC Glasgow ....123

WW v Ormiston ............74

Remember though, dogs don't count in the attendance figures.

Also the figures are also down in some of the villages if there is a pigeon race on that day.

Or if the fishmongers van is doing the rounds....the local men think there are women in heat :P

Spartans get 500 per game according to some on here ha ha ha ha (I'm sure they count people in the sports centre as well)

Na heed yer getting mixed up they count the passengers on the easy jet flight from alicante overhead which lands at turnhoose every Saturday afternoon ;)

If Spartans get Talbot in the cup, they're playing it here.

Been to a game in the stadium in the top of that picture. Totally irrelevant to the topic but just thought I would say.

Back on topic I have always been surprised at how few people attend EOS and now Lowland League games. Standard of football is decent and now most of the teams in the Lowland League have a good standard of facilities for spectators.

Would you? That would be healthy in SPFL2. In all non-league football only a couple of clubs will average over 300: Pollok, Clydebank (341 overall/422 in league), and probably Auchinleck.

Only a few HL clubs plus Linlithgow, Irvine Meadow, Cumnock, Bo'ness (and maybe Gala) are thought to average in the 200s, IIRC.

Both will be well above that average. Last Saturday we had 2 supporters buses plus numerous cars at Bonnyrigg. United and Linlithgow have the biggest home and away support in the East Juniors.

I simply go by threads I started over several seasons in the Junior sub-forum, and on 'FitbaNorth', specifically on the question of crowds (owing to the lack of official figures), up to last season. Consistently people said that Rose Bo'ness and Meadow were averaging in the 200s, not over 300. If that's changed, congratulations.

I simply go by threads I started over several seasons in the Junior sub-forum, and on 'FitbaNorth', specifically on the question of crowds (owing to the lack of official figures), up to last season. Consistently people said that Rose Bo'ness and Meadow were averaging in the 200s, not over 300. If that's changed, congratulations.

It's difficult to judge a crowd at a match as I have often asked my mates, how many? About 200 was the answer, we later found out it was around 350. Our last home league match had a crowd of just under 400. Very few Junior Clubs publish figures. The recent Fife & Lothians cup final between United and the Rose was around 1800.

Archived