What Squad for the Germany Game?

Gordopolis

Rhodes got a call up for Scotland while playing league 1 football.

So you really believe Strachan just calls up players because they play for Celtic ahead of others regardless?

Aye very good.

No matter who is the Scotland manager you get the usual suspected who put the same accusations again them.

Because there are plenty of examples of flavour of the month Old Firm players getting called up?

That's probably why the same accusations appear over and over again.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe anybody thought May would get called up. Strachan's made it clear he just doesn't rate him.

McGregor being in is a disgrace and overshadows Gordon being straight back in after so long out with his career threatening injury. How many games for Celtic has he played?

The SFA's team selection policy will never change.

Because there are plenty of examples of flavour of the month Old Firm players getting called up?

That's probably why the same accusations appear over and over again.

So aye, you think managers like Levein and Strachan only called up players because they played for Celtic. Regardless of ability?

Have a think about what you're trying to say here.

:lol:

Only in Scotland would we lampoon a young player for getting a call up because of the team he plays for.

Agreed, I think he looks an excellent prospect, and you could argue he's been Celtic's star player in Europe so far and I think those big-stage performances are the difference between him and, say, Stuart Armstrong or Peter Pawlett.

I can't believe anybody thought May would get called up. Strachan's made it clear he just doesn't rate him.

McGregor being in is a disgrace and overshadows Gordon being straight back in after so long out with his career threatening injury. How many games for Celtic has he played?

The SFA's team selection policy will never change.

Has he?

No Rhodes again, I find that one strange considering how goal scoring record.

I'd hope he'll make it into the October squad, but it's disappointing that we choose not to include a guy as highly rated and productive as this.

So aye, you think managers like Levein and Strachan only called up players because they played for Celtic. Regardless of ability?

Have a think about what you're trying to say here.

I'd say a disproportianate amount of average players have been called up because they play for the Old Firm, over players from the rest of the SPL.

:lol:

Only in Scotland would we lampoon a young player for getting a call up because of the team he plays for.

Yes. That's exactly the case. Supporters in every other country in the entire footballing world just meekly accept the blatant bias towards the favoured teams and say absolutely nothing about it at all. That's exactly what happen.

Yes. That's exactly the case. Supporters in every other country in the entire footballing world just meekly accept the blatant bias towards the favoured teams and say absolutely nothing about it at all. That's exactly what happen.

The 'favoured' teams also happen to be the strongest teams.

How many Celtic players are in the squad?

Not tell me again, Strachan is being biased.

I'd say a disproportianate amount of average players have been called up because they play for the Old Firm, over players from the rest of the SPL.

You'll find as with most nations the best players tend to play for the biggest clubs

This isn't something new or unique

It doesn't make every player that plays for them international quality. Big teams do have shite players too you know.

I'm fine with McGregor's call-up. He's done reasonably well in Europe and by all accounts had a good season last year. He's an attacking midfielder and with Snodgrass out, I don't see the harm in having a look at him. I doubt he'll get on anyway but it gives Strachan a look at him.

Indeed. The strongest teams with the best players to boot.

It's also strange that fans decry (with good reason) the SFA's apparent unwillingness to cap players until they are 27, but when Strachan calls up a relatively inexperienced young player it's due to club bias.

Of that squad, the centre half position is an absolute bomb scare, but it's hard to think of anyone who has much of a case to have been overlooked.

I think it's fairly clear Strachan doesn't think Rhodes is quite good enough. Which is his opinion and a choice he is paid to make. Naismith and Fletcher are comfortably our best forwards, however. That seems incontrovertible to me.

Archived