St Mirren vs Dunfermline - League Cup 2nd Round - Tuesday 26th August

dafcburty

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only time I went through to St Mirren for a game was to work at it, when I got of the train though I remember their being a decent sized pub very near the station, I swear it was on a couple of levels, google street view yields no results though. I also vaguely remember there being a rock concert, was odd.

The only time I went through to St Mirren for a game was to work at it, when I got of the train though I remember their being a decent sized pub very near the station, I swear it was on a couple of levels, google street view yields no results though. I also vaguely remember there being a rock concert, was odd.

Don't know the pubs in Paisley that well but the Last Post is near the station and might be on two levels?

Yeah that's the last post. It's the old post office and is a wetherspoons over two levels. There's been a few rock concerts on the plaza infront of it in the last few years. We aren't known as the ' home of Scottish culture ' for nothing :)

Away fans have two options really. One is to drink in Glasgow and get a train to Paisley St James - which is right across the road from the stadium. That's boring though!

The other is to get a train to Paisley Gilmour St and walk the 15 minutes or so from there to the ground and stop at pubs en route. There's a couple of routes you could go to the ground from PGS. You could exit rear of station and walk along St Jamss St/Underwood Road stopping at the Argyll Bar, the Court, The Alamo etc, (don't go to the Wig and Pen it's a Celtic bar) It's a shorter walk but not as interesting.

I'd recommend the more scenic and slightly longer walk through the west end. Exit station and walk up Gilmour St which is right infront of you and stop at Sportsters for a cheap and cheerful first drink.

Then turn right at the war memorial and walk up the pedestrianised high street. Just shops here no pubs, the first pub you'll come to is on the left after the pedestrian zone ends is the Wee Howff. Doesn't look much from the outside but is a Paisley classic and definitely worth a visit. Then go a few doors down to de beers. Not really a football pub but has some quality bar maids and a table tennis table.

Then turn left and past the uni and into the fabled west end. In about 5 minutes you'll be at 3 pubs within a 20 yard radius. The Craigielea Bar, Rafferty's and The Tartan Rose. If you have time try all 3, if you have time for one go for the Tartan Rose if you have time for two go for the Tartan Rose and Rafferty's. Then it's a 10 minute downhill walk to the ground. Hope this helps!

1) Paisley's 'West End' = Ferguslie Park, highest deprivation ward outside Glasgow.

2) Lex seriously suggested The Ark as one of the best pubs in Glasgow city centre.

So yeah I'd be pretty much discarding that entire post if I were you, just to be on the safe side.

1) Paisley's 'West End' = Ferguslie Park, highest deprivation ward outside Glasgow.

2) Lex seriously suggested The Ark as one of the best pubs in Glasgow city centre.

So yeah I'd be pretty much discarding that entire post if I were you, just to be on the safe side.

Nah Ferguslie doesn't start till further west. The 'West End' refers to the west end of the town centre.

Did I? Wasn't that about pubs with good screens to watch live football on?

Think Feegie is Scotland's most deprived area including Glasgow, thank you very much.

I had forgotten about the strips, why did you have to remind me of the strips? Have they been banned under law yet? Has their been a revolution at st mirren park resulting in the execution of the design team? If not why not?

Sorry neebs. But at least this way you'll be prepared for it, rather than having an epileptic shock on the night.

As for pubs, I'm fairly certain our bus ended up in a pub close to the old ground the last time I was at SMP. I'm fairly sure it was the Wee Barrel, though I may be talking nonsense. Was a decent enough boozer if I remember correctly. Though this was in 2012, so my memory in terms of pub name may be playing tricks on me.

Sorry neebs. But at least this way you'll be prepared for it, rather than having an epileptic shock on the night.

As for pubs, I'm fairly certain our bus ended up in a pub close to the old ground the last time I was at SMP. I'm fairly sure it was the Wee Barrel, though I may be talking nonsense. Was a decent enough boozer if I remember correctly. Though this was in 2012, so my memory in terms of pub name may be playing tricks on me.

Wee Barrell is a bit out of the way for our new ground, it was the closest boozer to Love St.

Wee Barrell is a bit out of the way for our new ground, it was the closest boozer to Love St.

Aye, we headed nearer the old ground I think as we were through a wee bit early - our minibus picked us up again and took us to SMP. I may be wrong about it being the Wee Barrell though!

So, everyone looking forward to this? We've performed relatively well against Championship opposition in the Petrofac Cup, and got a good confidence boosting win today. But obviously we need to respect that Saints are two divisions above us.

What's the mood down Paisley way? Not exactly a good start to the season, but by all accounts they didn't play too badly at Motherwell and today?

All the pressure's on St Mirren as the Premiership side at home. Will be interesting to see how our players handle the occasion. As long as we put up a good performance I'll be quite happy as not expecting to progress here.

It's an interesting tie in the sense that we face a similar sized team, yet quality wise there is a big difference; St Mirren are an established SPL team whereas we find ourselves in League One.

St Mirren have got off to a poor start, although knowing them i expect them to turn it around when it matters most as they usually do. They seem to have created numerous chances against Motherwell and Dundee, yet failed to put the ball in the net.

Hopefully we can give them a bit of a challenge, although St Mirren will rightly see this as a match to eradicate their problems and stick a few goals past us.

Aside from Williamson coming into replace Drummond, i would go with the same side that started the game yesterday.

I'm guessing nobody will return from injury and Drummond twisting his ankle probably suggests he'll miss out too. I hope the other couple of knocks we picked up yesterday - Geggan's hamstring, Moffat's foot injury etc - aren't serious enough to keep them out of this tie.

We've certainly got a chance, but even with St Mirren's poor start to the season, I'm expecting them to score their first goal of the season and get their first win of the campaign too. I'll be happy if we give it a right good go and don't get utterly obliterated. I can handle a defeat in a cup tie away to a Premiership team, that's understandable.

St Mirren 3-1 Dunfermline is my prediction. Hopefully we can sneak into the next round, though, and pile the pressure up on Tommy Craig.

Archived