Does anyone else loathe the idea of dancing? I can't do it and hate the idea of it and when pished and end up on the dance-floor, I have the "fear" for days.

Who can honestly say that when they go to a club that they look forward to getting up on the dance floor or believe that they are at least competent?

Do you have standard 'moves'?

I'll be at the bar...

I too don't like dancing. I just think it's a bit shit.

I think the mental sort of stuff you see in pishy films like Step Up is pretty smart mind and good to watch (the performance; not the film!) but that's not what you see in a regular nightclub.

Even dancing like you would at a wedding I find shite. If I got married I wouldn't be having a 'first dance' or any such pish.

Yeah I've got some shapes.

I've even developed an ability to dance relatively sober. Turning up at a school Halloween Disco (I'm a teacher, not a paedophile) I quickly realised that I had to get the grooves on in a way that would keep my reputation as a cool teacher in tact. Not easy but I'm fairly sure I managed it.

The worst type of dancing bloke is the reluctant dancer - that's horrible to witness. Either get yourself down in dirty or stay out the kitchen. No half measures.

Yeah I've got some shapes.

I've even developed an ability to dance relatively sober. Turning up at a school Halloween Disco (I'm a teacher, not a paedophile) I quickly realised that I had to get the grooves on in a way that would keep my reputation as a cool teacher in tact. Not easy but I'm fairly sure I managed it.

The worst type of dancing bloke is the reluctant dancer - that's horrible to witness. Either get yourself down in dirty or stay out the kitchen. No half measures.

^^^^^Hasn't-heard-what-his-pupils-said-about-his-dancing-type post, IMO

I was able to dance without giving a shit until one night of extreme debauchery and embarrassment I have not been able to get drunk enough to not give a shit about how people will view my dancing.

I wasn't very good at it anyway.

Does anyone else loathe the idea of dancing? I can't do it and hate the idea of it and when pished and end up on the dance-floor, I have the "fear" for days.

Who can honestly say that when they go to a club that they look forward to getting up on the dance floor or believe that they are at least competent?

Do you have standard 'moves'?

I'll be at the bar...

Clubs are for pulling slags not dancing.

When I'm forced up I shift my weight foot to foot and move my arms like the boy from homes under the hammer then scuttle off ASAP. Ive always hated clubs and never enjoyed a nghtout in one

It's all about the ' Oakley two step.'

In fairness, I don't ever dance. Just not really in-to it. Girls do appreciate a good dancer, so you're on to a winner if you can pull the moves.

Thankfully, my rugged good looks prevents me even attempting such rigmarole.

I do enjoy dancing when I'm out or at a party, I'm half decent though and the confidence seems to get the ladies gushing. I have pals that just look like trees blowing in the wind though. Not a pretty sight and come across as very awkward with no rhythm which doesn't bode well when trying to pull a 10 for some horizontal jogging.

In a ceilidh context - ie. everyone doing the same thing and following a routine - I'm fine and at least as competent as the majority of folk doing it. There is absolutely no way you'd catch me throwing shapes in a club. For me to even consider it would require so much booze that even standing up would be a challenge.

I can't stand dancing. I see music as something which is to be listened to and had I never seen anybody else dance, the thought of moving my body to it would probably have never even crossed my mind (other than an occasional bit of air guitar perhaps). If people want to get up and dance then be my guest but don't go trying to drag me onto the dancefloor and then demonising me for refusing to do something which I really don't enjoy.

Ceilidh's are a slight exception where I agree that having a set routine makes a difference. I'll end up doing a Dashing White to say "there, I've done it, you can stop hassling me for not dancing now" and then enjoy some table drinking / chat for the remainder of the night. I find sitting back and watching people voluntarily making an absolute balls up / arse of themselves quite entertaining to watch anyway.

"Look guys, I know that most of you hate doing this but let's be honest, for some of you this will be the closest you'll ever get to sex"

- My former PE teacher's rousing class speech on Scottish Country Dancing

I fucking love dancing. Since the age of 4 I have been a performer. For all you old gits that went to (proper) raves in the late 80" early 90's I was one of the one with his own space at the back given 'moves you hadn't even thought of". Lot older now and not as flexible but can still cut the carpet when required.

There was a great clip of me in full swing on youtube, but was sadly removed. Brother in-law still has a collection of videos on stage at various venues all over Scotland (raves & efter parties)

Archived