Brechin City v Dumbarton

Both teams coming off the back of contrasting results. Sons capitulating in the second half to lose to Stranraer whilst Brechin overcame Cowdenbeath following extra time.

This will be a tough game and I'm not particularly confident given our poor record in cup competitions. Hopefully Christ, Mair and McLaughlin will be back as they would help a lot!

On the positive side this will be (all being well) my first ever visit to Glebe Park (meaning only the elusive Elgin & Montrose are preventing me from doing the whole of the old SFL) Can't wait to see the famous hedge for real!!

Mon Eh Sons!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both teams coming off the back of contrasting results. Sons capitulating in the second half to lose to Stranraer whilst Brechin overcame Cowdenbeath following extra time.

This will be a tough game and I'm not particularly confident given our poor record in cup competitions. Hopefully Christ, Mair and McLaughlin will be back as they would help a lot!

On the positive side this will be (all being well) my first ever visit to Glebe Park (meaning only the elusive Elgin & Montrose are preventing me from doing the whole of the old SFL) Can't wait to see the famous hedge for real!!

Mon Eh Sons!!

Glebe Park is a great wee ground; worth a visit for the hedge alone. Certainly the only thing that I miss about the seaside leagues is visiting grounds like Glebe.

I'm actually a lot more confident about this game than the Stranraer one, I think we'll win.

Looking forward to going to Brechin more than the game in all honesty. If we have our full team out without any daft experimenting from the management then we should be too strong. But, we all know that's not how things will go. I just hope we get to the start of the season with a fully fit squad, the injury list is growing.

Hopefully Muzz has learned from the mistakes he made against Stranraer, as long as he has then we should win. With Nish and Megginson both picking up knocks at the weekend and the possibility of Mair, Mclaughlin and Turner being fit then I reckon we may see a changed team. Perhaps something like this.

Grindlay

Taggart/Van Zanten ---Graham ---Mair--- Linton

----Turner----

McDougall ---Kirkpatrick ---Gilhaney

Fleming--- Campbell

I reckon Fleming and Campbell could work well together, Gaz won a lot in the air against Stranraer flicking the ball on for the sort of runs Campbell makes.

Didn't think Van Zanten had a great game at the weekend so it might be worth giving Taggart a chance at RB.

E.T.A Is the website down for anyone else or is it just me again? Nope seems to work as long as I clear my history before going on it.

I agree , fleming and Campbell could work well together given they get the chance and don,t get subbed for nothing....ct back will shore up the midfield and hopefully we should beat brechin....hope the gaffer does not play about like Saturday as it was a bit disrespectful to the fans who travelled all the way and spent good money following the team..................

Unsure about this one.

I missed Saturday's game but by all accounts our defence looks a lot more balanced and organised . This was the weak spot last term. Hopefully this will have a knock on effect and allow the attack minded midfield to feed the strikers and not have to keep thinking about tracking back to help the defence.

I would hope we could come away with a win but the Sons will be looking to bounce back from that defeat on Saturday. Mind you , if there is a time to beat Dumbarton it is now while Murray is at the tinkering stage.

Should be a good game.

Ye it ll be a tester for us against City legend Ian Murrays Dumbarton,be nice to get a win but with not having the biggest squad and still bein in Petrofac Cup and an away tie to East End Park the following wk would nt want to start season huffing and puffing caused by too many games.... That sounds negative I know ......don t know too much about Dumbarton since days of a Paddy Flannery , I even remember a skinny beanpole called Owen Coyle at The Glebe playin for them ......

Ewings and McLaughlin both out for us but that's it. Should mean CT is back and we can revert to our normal 4-4-2. Wouldn't mind seeing:

Grindlay

Van Zanten ---- Graham ---- Mair ---- Linton

Turner

Gilhaney ---- Kirkpatrick ---- Megginson

Fleming ---- Campbell

The contentious places are probably right back and up front, perhaps centre half too. Wouldn't mind seeing Taggart at right back or Nish up front, I just felt Garry Fleming deserves a start after last week. With Coleman playing well mid-week he might think about using him at centre half but it's more likely we'll see Mair in there. Looking forward to the journey though, always enjoy Brechin.

I'd definitely start Garry and Campbell. Think they could link up very well together, hopefully Turner is back but if its a risk to play him then we definitely shouldn't. Something like this I'd guess:

Rogers

Taggart Mair Graham Linton

Turner

Gilhaney Kirkpatrick Megginson

Fleming Campbell

Perhaps a bit harsh to drop Van Zanten but he didn't have a great game last week and I'd like to see Taggart given a chance in what Morton fans said was his best position.

I'll be at this one tomorrow and I'm looking forward to the start of the real football after seeing a few United friendlies last month.

Always enjoy my visits to Brechin, great hospo lounge, good banter with the locals and a fine half time spread.

I haven't seen Dumbarton play since 1995/96 season where if I remember correctly we (United) scored 17 goals in 3 games against you but also lost 1-0 at Boghead.

Chances of this one being called off? Pouring down in Edinburgh this morning, what's it like up there?

Better no' be!! I'll be seething beyond belief if this is called off.

I'm on a bus about 10 miles away from Brechin and it's very light rain, ground looks pretty dry so I think its just started raining.

Glebe Park now laughs in the face of rain with its fancy new drainage. Only one game cancelled last season due to the combination of snow / frost (covers down) followed by high winds and snow / frost. Had a few downpours and the pitch barely looked wet afterwards!

Team - Rogers, V Zanten, Linton, Graham, Mair, Turner, Gilhaney, Agnew, Nish, Megginson, Prunty

Subs - Grindlay, Kirkpatrick, Taggart, McDougall, Campbell, Murray, Coleman

No Fleming which is a surprise. Kirkpatrick on the bench also a weird one. But at least it appears that Prunty will be playing in a more advanced role (appears being the key word!)

Archived