An Achievement Unmatched

Once again the Perth Saints produce another tremendous result in Europe and when I look back over the last few seasons I genuinely believe no club our size has or will achieve what we have

Top 6 three years running

Scottish Cup Winners

European football three years running

10 European games played In 3 seasons and counting after the Travana match

Eliminated Rosénborg & Luzerne

Happy to be proved wrong but this team has to go down in History as the most successfully of any of the smaller clubs ( Partick, Killie, St Mirren, ICT, Ross County, Dundee, Falkirk)

To put it into context, the above clubs would love to make it into Europe once never mind 3 years in a row! ;)

Three years ago if you were to ask what I wanted saints to do I would said win a trophy and get into Europe - boy have we done that! :)

What aspirations do fans of other clubs have?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again the Perth Saints produce another tremendous result in Europe and when I look back over the last few seasons I genuinely believe no club our size has or will achieve what we have

Scottish Cup Winners

Happy to be proved wrong but this team has to go down in History as the most successfully of any of the smaller clubs ( Partick, Killie, St Mirren, ICT, Ross County, Dundee, Falkirk)

To put it into context, the above clubs would love to make it into Europe once never mind 3 years in a row! ;)

Three years ago if you were to ask what I wanted saints to do I would said win a trophy and get into Europe - boy have we done that! :)

To be served a decent pie at Tannadice.

Scottish Cup Winners

shitstorm.jpg

Rofl.

When you win back-to-back cups, the league, get to two European semis then maybe.

I think this is certainly the most successful spell as a club we've ever had, anything else is obviously going to be debated

Fantastic achievement no doubt about it. Enjoy it by all means but I wouldn't get too carried away just yet.

Getting carried away is exactly what we should be doing - we're not talking one season wonders - this is 3 sound seasons! this won't last forever, we'l probably be fighting relegation in 2 or 3 years!

Dundee and Killie had greater success in the 60's both at home and in Europe.

Scottish Cup Winners

^^^^ VikingTon of 2050.

Scottish Cup Winners

Enjoy your limited success because everything in football is cyclical . The only team/teams that historically can sustain success are/were the old scum , St Johnstone have only achieved what could be reasonably expected of a clubs " golden period" .

You will get fans on here pointing out their own clubs golden period and comparisons wil be drawn but you have the advantage in that yours is current and for most within living memory

Enjoy your limited success because everything in football is cyclical . The only team/teams that historically can sustain success are/were the old scum , St Johnstone have only achieved what could be reasonably expected of a clubs " golden period" .

You will get fans on here pointing out their own clubs golden period and comparisons wil be drawn but you have the advantage in that yours is current and for most within living memory

To be fair our "successful" eras are getting closer together, hinting we might have a sustained period forthcoming. This is now our third, the first was in the 60's/70's under Willie Ormond, when we finished third ahead of Rangers and spent seven or years miles from relegation fights, reached our first Cup Final and of course we had European adventures including beating Hamburg who were fiilled with World Cup Winners.

The second was in the 90's, when we finished 3rd again, finishing in the top half three years in a row. We also reached our second Final, two other Semi-Finals and played against Monaco in Europe at that time. We also sold a home grown player for a record fee.

This is now our third, and probably longest. In the last eight years we've been on the rise now. We've made numerous semi-finals, been clear of relegation for the past five seasons, finished 3rd, beaten two higher ranked sides in Europe, won our first ever major trophy and had the highest ever support in our history.

In terms of relative budget:success, it would be hard to find anyone who's done better lately if truth be told, but theres no doubt other fans will have their own stories to tell. We are, traditionally, a team that has eras of increasing success, and this is our best one so far

Archived