Airdrieonians vs. Albion Rovers

Don't underestimate the positive impact Darren will have on the game and Rovers play just by being on the pitch.

Can only back up what aloyisious has said about the manager, he was like a headless chicken in the middle of the park. The young airdrie midfielders ran all over the top of him and he was caught constantly ball watching. Also for someone so experienced the ball was like hot potato with him, I expected him to be looking to get it down at his feet and be looking for passes but he was lumping it about whenever he got near it. Surprised he kept himself on the pitch for the full game but he scored the winning penalty which btw was about the only good thing he done the whole game!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't able to make the game yesterday.

Can someone clear up why McNeil was replaced at half time? Was this injury of was it a case of having another look at the other keeper.

Apparently injured, looked good for you's. Trialist goalie although he made the mistake which got us our equaliser looked decent back up. Made a few saves and his handling of the ball was good, wouldn't judge him on the mistake.

It looked like he got a head knock so I'm guessing it was due to that. Hopefully nothing serious (it didn't look it).

Although we weren't particularly good I thought we were the better team and if it hadn't been for the keeper would have won. Fair play to the Rovers though, their penalties were excellent as was Parry.

Early days for both teams - I'm sure both will get better with games.

Wasn't able to make the game yesterday.

Can someone clear up why McNeil was replaced at half time? Was this injury of was it a case of having another look at the other keeper.

Just remembered McNeil took what looked like a hefty kick to his head from one of your own defenders, this could possibly be the reason behind him coming off.

Don't underestimate the positive impact Darren will have on the game and Rovers play just by being on the pitch.

against the majority view. I thought he started poorly but done a decent shift over the piece. Certainly brings a positive drive and no doubt he has qualities we will need through the season. Phillips was however the ubiquitous headless chicken. Constantly running into dead ends and losing possession. Was surprised he was brought back after a poor season last year. Love looks a better option for the left side to me.

Anyway, dont mean to dwell on negatives...

More positives to be upbeat about

Rather worrying that we've had a Monklands derby without the Rovers fans relaying stories of bricked buses, overturned wheelchairs and crying children.

We can't be doing it right.

bumped into some Airdrie fans in pub in town centre after the game. All good banter. No grief whatsoever. More hacked off that the game wasn't finished off in 90mins...

Rather worrying that we've had a Monklands derby without the Rovers fans relaying stories of bricked buses, overturned wheelchairs and crying children.

Aye, you were all on your best behaviour yesterday. I forgot to zip the weans' tops up for walking round the back of the Main Stand but nobody seemed bothered.

It is a shame though that you have a reputation that means people feel they have to take the sort of action I described above. Ibrox is the only other ground in Scotland where I would do that.

against the majority view. I thought he started poorly but done a decent shift over the piece. Certainly brings a positive drive and no doubt he has qualities we will need through the season. Phillips was however the ubiquitous headless chicken. Constantly running into dead ends and losing possession. Was surprised he was brought back after a poor season last year. Love looks a better option for the left side to me.

Anyway, dont mean to dwell on negatives...

More positives to be upbeat about

Agree with you about Gary Phillips, the game passed him by. His first touch was non existent, as usual tried to beat too many players. No end product...big improvement needed from him.

Agree with you about Gary Phillips, the game passed him by. His first touch was non existent, as usual tried to beat too many players. No end product...big improvement needed from him.

Yup. I got the feeling he didn't know what his role was; sometimes he was deep beside Young in the middle then he was directly in front of him. To me, he's a wide player, nowt else.He should not be starting ahead of Liam Cusack in central midfield.

Yup. I got the feeling he didn't know what his role was; sometimes he was deep beside Young in the middle then he was directly in front of him. To me, he's a wide player, nowt else.He should not be starting ahead of Liam Cusack in central midfield.

Yeah it appeared he was playing centre mid and was way out his depth. He's a winger but don't see him getting in ahead of Ally love who on yesterday's performance alone gives more that Phillips. Cusack should be one of the first names on the team sheet. Was disappointed how poor our centre back pairing were, last season they were rock solid but looked like they hadn't played together before.

Can only back up what aloyisious has said about the manager, he was like a headless chicken in the middle of the park. The young airdrie midfielders ran all over the top of him and he was caught constantly ball watching. Also for someone so experienced the ball was like hot potato with him, I expected him to be looking to get it down at his feet and be looking for passes but he was lumping it about whenever he got near it. Surprised he kept himself on the pitch for the full game but he scored the winning penalty which btw was about the only good thing he done the whole game!

His mobility and distribution will need to improve markedly for that to be the case.

He does hit a decent penalty though!

Neither of you has got my point.

Most I heard was a guy in his 40s threatening the young guys who were in their early teens for singing in the car park

Most I heard was a guy in his 40s threatening the young guys who were in their early teens for singing in the car park

At the end of the game, a group of Airdrie fans (who must have been in their early-to-mid-twenties) were clapping the team of the park when some older guys in their forties started heckling them for applauding a pretty poor performance. It all got a bit unnecessarily heated.

Decent enough match yesterday. I can only echo what most people above me have said in that Airdrie should have had the match won in 90 minutes. Lucas Bernstingl looked pretty decent until his error but it was a calamitous mistake. John Gemmell, who'd been rubbish up until then, took advantage with a superb piece of improvisation. Rovers' penalties were pretty excellent too, big Gemmell's especially.

Given that Stenhousemuir are playing Airdrie next weekend, I was keen to see how they were. Paddy Boyle, Liam Watt and Nathan Blockley looked pretty decent but other than that, no-one really stood out yesterday. Proctor and Fitzpatrick (who looked far better than Morton fans have ever suggested) kept Gemmell quiet. Joe Hamill had some reasonable touches (one of his hooked passes into the penalty box in the first half was superb) but didn't really influence things. Lister was uncharacteristically quiet. Should be an interesting match next week anyway - I think Stenny have enough problems of their own, however.

Special mentions to:

• Bobby Madden, who had a terrible game throughout and missed a number of bad tackles, in particular Marc McKenzie's scissor in the second half
  • Ally Love, the ugly, snarling little runt who played the role of pantomime villain to perfection

Archived