Airdrieonians vs. Albion Rovers

Birnstingl better not get signed, lost us the game, made a mistake that Connor Fairley and Colin Stewart would piss themselves laughing at. If McNeil had stayed on i would be home and relaxing but because of birnstingl im sitting in the car pissed off

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't care less about being out the competition as it's a bit of a joke anyway. Would have won were it not for a howler by the keeper. Looked a bit rusty but the game plan seems to be the same as last season - get it punted into the corners and go from there. The concerning thing is how poor our set pieces were, the reason we stayed up last season was because we scored plenty of goals from set pieces with McAleer's delivery and Buchanan in the box. Hamill's delivery today wasn't good enough, corners need to be wipped in, his were far too slow and easy to defend.

As with last season I still feel we need a more creative player in the middle, they aren't easyd to find though. Despite the keeper's mistake he looks kore than capable for a back up.

Birnstingl better not get signed, lost us the game, made a mistake that Connor Fairley and Colin Stewart would piss themselves laughing at. If McNeil had stayed on i would be home and relaxing but because of birnstingl im sitting in the car pissed off

hibs are looking for a keeper

I know of at least one negative: rovers having more non-executive directors than fans means we probably got very little in the way of gate receipts.

I thought Albion Rovers brought a pretty good support in comparison to many "bigger" clubs we've seen at NB and they made a good bit of noise too.

That today looked totally half-assed. I really hope we don't sign that keeper - what a howler of a mistake although it was a nicely finished overhead kick. It was a poor performance and there looks to be no real creativity in that team. A missed opportunity to draw a money spinning glamour tie in the next round but I'm sure we will see improvements in that side in the next few weeks - they certainly gave Bollan plenty to work on!

I thought Albion Rovers brought a pretty good support in comparison to many "bigger" clubs we've seen at NB and they made a good bit of noise too.

Given that Airdrie is about 2 miles from Coatbridge you would expect that. Other than Dundee, probably the most local of local derbies in the UK...

Need some sugar for those grapes, DaF?

What part is sour grapes? I don't do the patronising compliments of 'well done you wanted it more' etc. We should have won and didn't, but I couldn't care less as it has no reflection on how the season will go.

Last year we beat Hamilton at the same stage and then look how our respective seasons went. Today highlighted a few areas we need to work on which will be useful for the season starting properly next week.

Given that Airdrie is about 2 miles from Coatbridge you would expect that. Other than Dundee, probably the most local of local derbies in the UK...

Sheffield etc etc...

Still, well done the 'Vers. Although we had the majority of it, we were pretty shite.

Proctor reminds me of the player who shat his breechs at the play off final. Utterly useless. Interesting that so many have such short memories.

The 'keeper had an absolute 'mare, from which he will never recover in a Diamond jersey.

Bain is back to diving about like a wee dick.

We have a very, very poor midfield.

Lister is five miles off the pace.

We will be coming from behind again this year. Very disappointing.

ETA: Good vision and technique from Gemmel, who I've never really rated, for the equaliser.

Best team lost today but we stuck to the task and got the result in the end. What a difference in penalties, the airdrie boys trying to be fancy and place them which were easily saved by our goalie Parry. The rovers boys smashed their penalties which gave the trialist airdrie keeper no chance.

Other than the howler mistake by the 2nd half airdrie keeper I think he looked sound, made a few saves when needed and claimed everything in the air. Looks like he could be a good back up keeper for you so wouldn't be too hard on the boy.

Good luck with your season.

Thought it was an evenly balanced game without being blinkered or biased. Diamonds started stronger but we came into it as the game settled. Airdrie 2nd goal came when we were down to 10 with Fisher off injured following a heavy challenge.

Thought Airdrie had the best player in the wee red haired fella. Glad when he went off tbh. Was impressed by Mullin and Love. Wee Squib played well too. Defence looked strangely dodgy which is a bit of a worry. Not seen any pre season friendlies but we were easily a match for Airdrie and on that showing we should hold our own in the league this season.

Well done Rovers.

Happy with that, although I'll not pretend we were the better team over 120 mins.

We finally seem to have a bit of strength in depth, with the subs all making a real difference. McKenzie, Love, Mullen and Pollock were the stars for me, but what a goal from big Gemmell.

I'm not convinced that yesterday's formation truly suited us and Phillips and our manager looked like fish out of water (it must have been hard to give a half time team talk when you're the worst player on the park by some distance), but the signs are mostly good and Airdrie will be one of the better sides we'll face this year.

Finally, a word on Airdrie, who passed the ball far better than us without creating many chances. Wee Blockley was smashing; I take it he's inconsistent as he always looks like a guy who should be playing at a higher level when I see him.

our manager looked like fish out of water (it must have been hard to give a half time team talk when you're the worst player on the park by some distance),

Don't underestimate the positive impact Darren will have on the game and Rovers play just by being on the pitch.

Archived