Kenny Miller Recall?

Gordopolis

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have Miller ahead of Watt in the pecking order at the moment if I'm honest. Other than the ones mentioned so far though, I'd expect and hope the likes of Marc McNulty and Watt to do well at their clubs this season and leapfrog Miller who is at the very bottom of the barrel when you consider some of the names mentioned in this thread.

May, yes, I really hope this happens. McNulty, playing for Sheffield Utd? Naw, he's yet to show anything that suggests he'll ever be an international (hasn't even been in the youth squads or anything as far as I know)

Anyone know the fee for Tony Watt? It might give some extra indication as to how Standard Liege perceive him? I'm thinking 800k or the like.

Seem to remember it being around £1.2 million. Not sure if thats right, nor whether thats the amount after add ons or before

Gordopolis, on 30 Jul 2014 - 20:46, said:

May, yes, I really hope this happens. McNulty, playing for Sheffield Utd? Naw, he's yet to show anything that suggests he'll ever be an international (hasn't even been in the youth squads or anything as far as I know)

I don't trust Billy Stark's judgement that much tbh. Snodgrass, a fellow Livi youth product only made 5 appearances in total for the young Scotland teams, and he's a pretty important member of our squad now I'd say. McNulty can easily go on to become at least a fringe member of the Scotland squad provided he has a good season at Sheffield United (Who are favourites to win League One and get back into a league where they belong).

Not saying it'll happen, but shouldn't write it off.

I don't trust Billy Stark's judgement that much tbh. Snodgrass, a fellow Livi youth product only made 5 appearances in total for the young Scotland teams, and he's a pretty important member of our squad now I'd say. McNulty can easily go on to become at least a fringe member of the Scotland squad provided he has a good season at Sheffield United (Who are favourites to win League One and get back into a league where they belong).

No, not writing him off, but it'd be some story if he did make it as an international. He's not even played for the U16 or U19s.

Gordopolis, on 30 Jul 2014 - 21:48, said:

No, not writing him off, but it'd be some story if he did make it as an international. He's not even played for the U16 or U19s.

It took Greer until he was 32 to appear for anything other than Scotland B (Which doesn't really count, that's like the squad for never will be's) and that wasn't a 'massive' story tbf.

McNulty has never shown anything near the ability to suggest he'll be anywhere close to the team, you'd be aswell bringing up Brian Graham

It took Greer until he was 32 to appear for anything other than Scotland B (Which doesn't really count, that's like the squad for never will be's) and that wasn't a 'massive' story tbf.

Yeah but you're suggesting McNulty in the same breath as Stevie may. Odd choice IMO

Gordopolis, on 30 Jul 2014 - 22:49, said:

Yeah but you're suggesting McNulty in the same breath as Stevie may. Odd choice IMO

I never once mentioned Stevie May. I said McNulty and Watt provided they had good seasons would be ahead of Miller regardless of Miller's performance in the Championship.

I never once mentioned Stevie May. I said McNulty and Watt provided they had good seasons would be ahead of Miller regardless of Miller's performance in the Championship.

Woops, seems like I confused two posts, sorry.

Still tho, McNulty seems very left-field as a youngster who would come in to the international reckoning. Not impossible, just very, very unlikely.

Jordan Rhodes had to score 40 and CMS 36 in league one to get a handful of minutes in international friendlies. Do you reckon McNulty can match that?

If miller has a strong season in the championship, and we're struggling for strikers, Strachan will have few qualms about talking to him.

I think even Snodgrass himself would say that he didn't really deserve many more youth caps than that given his attitude at the time (very little to do with Stark btw, given that he was Queen's Park manager until 2008). His story and that of guys like Paul Hartley show that a lack of involvement at youth level doesn't necessarily mean you're not going to kick on and make it though. Lots of players develop later in their career or are overlooked by youth coaches for whatever reason.

I think even Snodgrass himself would say that he didn't really deserve many more youth caps than that given his attitude at the time (very little to do with Stark btw, given that he was Queen's Park manager until 2008). His story and that of guys like Paul Hartley show that a lack of involvement at youth level doesn't necessarily mean you're not going to kick on and make it though. Lots of players develop later in their career or are overlooked by youth coaches for whatever reason.

Agreed, but we're talking about miller vs mcnulty in the next season, not the next 5 years

McCormack has hardly had a real chance and Rhodes has had less the strikers mentioned are good though in the opening post

Look at the Germans at the world cup guy such a Klose done his work in the box supplied from out wide attacking FB and wingers.

Maybe we could play that way and get the best out any one of these guys in future maybe from McCormack who is more mobile and fast?

Miller getting any kind of SOS call would be shear and utter desperation on our part we have much better options right now

Would sooner see a guy like Tony Watt come in if he starts banging the goals in for Standard Liege in Belgium up against good players

And then we have Johnny Russell at Derby another who has hardly had a chance not to mention big Martin who looked good linking it up and making it stick

May stepping up to the championship should be good to if he gets 15 or more that is a good rate of goals to build on for next year

Might get a move in a few seasons like Snodgrass done who was at Leeds a wee while longer before Norwich took a chance on him now Hull

Strikers are good just now got a few who offer different skills Martin is into feet were he links up can take a chance to is powerful just not the fastest

We have a good big target man that is good on the deck like Fletcher and a good hard worker prob still out number one when fit

We have Naismith who has looked the part in the last few games clever player makes good runs decent in the air to for his size

We have Rhodes who uses both feet and is a total predator who does his best work in the penalty box score all different types of goals

McCormack who is the same type used there but can play a role were he can run with the ball to and is faster and mobile and lethal at the same level

Hope Phillips starts at QPR he has lethal pace could keep up with Anya not been impressed much in other games but will not write him of just yet

I'll be surprised if May does well in England, he's pretty short on any real ability and his main advantage of being a powerful runner will be negated by the much stronger English Championship where there are fewer carthorses in defence than up here. I don't share the optimism with all these strikers that we have, and if May and Watt are the best of the next generation then we should be worried.

I'd have Miller outside the squad just now, but if we got a couple of injuries I'd have nothing against bringing him back in.

I'll be surprised if May does well in England, he's pretty short on any real ability and his main advantage of being a powerful runner will be negated by the much stronger English Championship where there are fewer carthorses in defence than up here. I don't share the optimism with all these strikers that we have, and if May and Watt are the best of the next generation then we should be worried.

I'd have Miller outside the squad just now, but if we got a couple of injuries I'd have nothing against bringing him back in.

We are never going to have enough injuries to merit bringing him back.and have others like Mackie and Paterson at Forrest who will prob have good seasons

And think your wrong about May he is old school and can turn defenders in the box he is a good player but a work in progress not the finished article.

And nobody is saying Watt and May are the best coming through look at Rhodes he was in the under 21 team only last year or year before

If we were to pick any of the strikers coming through we would probably pick him since he scores lots of goals no problem

And do not forget that Johnny Russell is still waiting for his chance done well for Derby last year wide left but can play down the middle for us

Other strikers in the championship are Machail Smith at Brighton who we want to see have a good pre season another goal scorer at that level

And hope big Smith starts games at Leeds we could get him in a old fashioned target man we do not have enough of when Fletcher Martin is not around

Saying May is "pretty short on real ability" is pretty naive, considering how he ripped teams apart last season with more than just "strong running". His style and build is probably well suited to the rugged Championship anyway

We are never going to have enough injuries to merit bringing him back.and have others like Mackie and Paterson at Forrest who will prob have good seasons

And think your wrong about May he is old school and can turn defenders in the box he is a good player but a work in progress not the finished article.

And nobody is saying Watt and May are the best coming through look at Rhodes he was in the under 21 team only last year or year before

If we were to pick any of the strikers coming through we would probably pick him since he scores lots of goals no problem

And do not forget that Johnny Russell is still waiting for his chance done well for Derby last year wide left but can play down the middle for us

Other strikers in the championship are Machail Smith at Brighton who we want to see have a good pre season another goal scorer at that level

And hope big Smith starts games at Leeds we could get him in a old fashioned target man we do not have enough of when Fletcher Martin is not around

Mackail Smith has a lot to do to be considered for selection again IMO. He had an awesome year at Peterboro in 2010/11 in League One, but has looked very ordinary since. I think he has struggled to adapt to Championship football.

Archived